Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2020, 02:52 AM

45 posts, read 24,097 times

Advertisements

Hi all
I am currently living with my parents. My mom and dad are very supportive, they don't let me pay for anything although I do help out sometimes, with grocery shopping or if they ever need something etc.

The thing is I'm 25 years old (female) and I am really beginning to feel like living with my parents is taking away my personal space and sometimes I really need to be alone, but then I can't cause the apartment is very small and I have a small bedroom.

Sometimes my mom and dad wakes up 5.00 / 6.00 o'clock in the morning which is too early for me, and I wake up because of the noises. Sometimes I'm low on energy because I didn't get a full night sleep. It's not their fault, it's their apartment so I can't really dictate when they should wake up - but it's really just those small things that are beginning to irritate me

Other than that, my parents are very nice and sweet and I love them <3

The thing is, I haven't moved out because I like the freedom I have now, no rent, no bills etc. I can save all my money and go out, buy the clothes I want, have a lot more money to spend than if I had an apartment.

I am so confused and IDK what to do. Should I keep living with my parents and save up or just move out but then my economy will be tight.

Although the thought of having my own space is heaven to me, and I am really into the idea... But the thought of having a strict economy just ruins it.

(In Europe the apartments are really expensive) so there is no option to move into a low rent apartment.

What should I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2020, 03:51 AM

2,146 posts, read 3,063,465 times
Move out. You’re a grown-*ss woman. You should be paying your own bills. That’s what your 20s are about-figuring out your own way in the world. Yes, money will be tight, that’s one way to figure out what’s important to you. Get some roommates and get going.

Last edited by reebo; 01-03-2020 at 05:09 AM..

Old 01-03-2020, 04:17 AM

13,286 posts, read 8,463,474 times
I never discourage an adult to do what is best for them.Despite what society seems to say.

your freedom is no different if you are housed with others or alone. Its still your freedom.

Get it?

So too with how you compromise on somethings...decide what at this time in life is important to you. Set your goals.

Living alone...doesn't make you suddenly an adult . Nor does being strapped for cash make you an adult.
What does make you an adult is choosing wisely your life course, treating mankind decently.

Ignore the other poster, he/she hasn't learned the last tid bit of adulthood- re: treating mankind decently.

Old 01-03-2020, 05:25 AM

2,146 posts, read 3,063,465 times
How is burdening the op’s parents with supporting her/him treating mankind decently? If doing what’s best for you results in crappy results for others, is that treating mankind decently? That just sounds selfish to me.

Living on your own and paying your own way DOES mean you’re an adult. That’s how you figure out your priorities and values. If someone else is paying your way, you’re never really free-there are always strings attached of one sort or another.

Old 01-03-2020, 06:29 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
Move out. You are an adult, you shouldn't be still living with your parents.

What do you do for work?

Old 01-03-2020, 06:42 AM

130,431 posts, read 12,124,678 times
Start saving the money you should be paying in rent, every month, do not use it for anything else, except saving for a deposit. Life is full of choices, & as an adult, you will have to decide what your living choice is.

Old 01-03-2020, 06:49 AM

663 posts, read 434,259 times
Agree to start putting significant amounts of money away instead of spending it. Start learning now to live on a limited budget so that you can make the transition easier when you do move out.

Old 01-03-2020, 06:58 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,522,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjgirl94 View Post
The thing is, I haven't moved out because I like the freedom I have now, no rent, no bills etc. I can save all my money and go out, buy the clothes I want, have a lot more money to spend than if I had an apartment.
Do you have anything saved, or did you just save to spend?

You're probably familiar with No Buy challenges ... you should try one for a few months. Because that's what moving out on your own is going to be like.

Old 01-03-2020, 08:07 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,591,160 times
It seems like your parents are comfortable with the arrangement. Having a roommate is pretty common for people these days with housing getting too expensive for many. I see no problem with your family being your "roommates" but you maybe need more space. Perhaps you could talk to your parents about getting a bigger apartment so you have more space, or even saving up to buy a house that you can all live in, and you contribute towards the additional cost that this would entail?

Old 01-03-2020, 08:08 AM

99 posts, read 56,988 times
Are you working a low-wage job? Going to university? If you are doing either, particularly the latter I can understand still living with your parents. Stuff's expensive. If not, then I think it's time to realize that its time to take charge and start doing things for yourself. This doesn't mean spontaneously moving out, but at least taking steps in that direction.

I honestly don't think you deserve to complain about something as small as people waking up early when you are living basically for free and with little to no responsibilities. You can't get absolutely everything you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships