Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2020, 04:30 PM

1,159 posts, read 620,805 times

Advertisements

Like other people said, not their party to be inviting others. Also they didn't even know you were home! Just move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2020, 04:35 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,024,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilLisa83 View Post
Also they didn't even know you were home! .
The one friend that called me knew I was home.

Old 01-05-2020, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
He told you he was "on his way" to the party. Is there a chance they were in the car already, and it just didn't occur to him???

Maybe he just doesn't think very fast on his feet. Even if I knew you were home, I would have thought you'd be too tired from traveling to come to the party.

Yes, he could have at least asked, but who here really knows why he didn't?
I think this is closest to what happened, and my wife thinks so too.

Old 01-05-2020, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
It wasn't his house and he didn't feel comfortable inviting you because of that most likely.

AND since it wasn't a big deal at all, he probably didn't even think about it for more than a few seconds, and that's it.

I wouldn't even give it another thought.
I think this makes a lot of sense too. thanks

Old 01-05-2020, 04:41 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,737,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
Theory?

If I unexpectedly learned that a good friend was alone for NYE, and I was going to a very small (2 other couples...all good friends who socialize a lot), very casual get-together, I would 100% invite that friend. Not a question about it.

I do think it probably didn't compute that my wife and I wouldn't be together for the holiday and that we'd both still be out of town. But obviously the one friend that called DID know.
OK, so why do you think they acted as they did? That's what I'm getting at.

Old 01-05-2020, 09:02 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,027,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
OK, so why do you think they acted as they did? That's what I'm getting at.
No one is going to be able to tell you why they acted the way they did. There could be many different reasons, some of which involve background information that we know nothing about.

Since you say you are "truly good friends", the best thing to do is ask them. Ask why you were not included in their NYE festivities, especially after " Bobby" called and found out that you were home that night.

Old 01-05-2020, 10:18 PM

1,350 posts, read 820,127 times
Maybe the friend that stopped by to borrow something assumed you were going to the party. Did he wish you happy new year's or anything, during the day? Probably not, he probably thought he would see you at the party later.

I do think the party throwers just didn't realize you and your wife would be home, or available to go (not too tired from the trip, etc).

Unless there is something else going on with these two groups of friends, that would lead you to believe it was nothing more than an over sight?

Old 01-06-2020, 03:05 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,474,716 times
It wasn’t the caller’s place to invite you to someone else’s house. And maybe their plan was to cook steaks or something similar where there would be specific portions based on numbers.

Is this really worth worrying over? If not being alone on NYE was so important to you (since you referenced “If I had a friend who was alone...) you should have coordinated something with your friends in advance.

Old 01-06-2020, 07:27 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,982,736 times
Kem, I think when you are "totally against inviting yourself" to things, this kind of misunderstanding happens.

Since you're very close, it really wouldn't have been out of line for you to text the host, state that you are back in town unexpectedly and you spoke to the friend who mentioned the get together. And your wife isn't back in town yet, but would it be ok if you dropped in to ring in the new year?

You know they didn't purposely not invite you, there was no "hush hush don't mention this to Kem, they're not invited" because the other couple felt free to mention it.

But I understand it, if you don't feel free making your wishes known.

Next time you all get together, just ask how the get together went, and say something about just arriving back in town before the event and how your wife was still away so it was an unusual NYE for you. Allow them to say "oh you should have just come over" and then you can say I kind of thought about it but was still jet lagged and thought this might a be a year to just celebrate quietly. Done.

Old 01-06-2020, 08:06 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,737,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
No one is going to be able to tell you why they acted the way they did. There could be many different reasons, some of which involve background information that we know nothing about.

Since you say you are "truly good friends", the best thing to do is ask them. Ask why you were not included
I know that. I am more interested in what the OP thought. Why did he immediately jump to being offended instead of assuming it was just a simple misunderstanding?

I am wondering why the OP doesn't seem to trust this friendship. OP, do you suspect you are not as close to these people as you believed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships