Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2020, 12:39 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,024,415 times

Advertisements

Due to circumstances, my wife and I had separate travel plans this holiday season whereby we spent NYE (and day) apart. Overall...no biggie, we're not really super into that holiday.

I landed back home late on the 30th.

Mid-morning on the 31st, I got a call from one of our best friends (couples) asking about borrowing something as he assumed I wasn't home yet. I told him I was, and that I'd be home if they wanted to pop by to borrow it. He said they would on their way to another couple's (also one of our best friends) home for a mellow NYE get-together. I thought I'd get an invite, either then or later. No.

All three of us (couples) are truly good friends, and I do believe that if we weren't travelling at all this holiday season we would have been invited. No question about it.

This was not a formal party by any means whatsoever. Was 3 couples incl kids. Extremely casual.

I am 100% against inviting myself to anything, so I didn't in this case. When I told my wife that night she thought they may have been confused about our travel plans.

I feel a little miffed, would anyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2020, 12:42 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
I agree with your wife.

It also wasn’t your friend’s event, so he may not have been comfortable making an addition, even if it was you.

Old 01-05-2020, 02:01 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,643,864 times
I think it's entirely possible that your friends knew your wife's travel plans and, for whatever reason, failed to clue in to the fact that you'd be back early. Or, it's also possible that, while both couples like you a lot, they just wanted to enjoy each other's company on this particular evening. I wouldn't read anything more into it than that, and I wouldn't be upset about it.

Old 01-05-2020, 02:13 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
Due to circumstances, my wife and I had separate travel plans this holiday season whereby we spent NYE (and day) apart. Overall...no biggie, we're not really super into that holiday.

I landed back home late on the 30th.

Mid-morning on the 31st, I got a call from one of our best friends (couples) asking about borrowing something as he assumed I wasn't home yet. I told him I was, and that I'd be home if they wanted to pop by to borrow it. He said they would on their way to another couple's (also one of our best friends) home for a mellow NYE get-together. I thought I'd get an invite, either then or later. No.

All three of us (couples) are truly good friends, and I do believe that if we weren't travelling at all this holiday season we would have been invited. No question about it.

This was not a formal party by any means whatsoever. Was 3 couples incl kids. Extremely casual.

I am 100% against inviting myself to anything, so I didn't in this case. When I told my wife that night she thought they may have been confused about our travel plans.

I feel a little miffed, would anyone else?
Your friends may have already set plans for the guests they did have. Food, etc. No, I wouldn't be miffed at all.

Old 01-05-2020, 03:22 PM

1,350 posts, read 820,127 times
I wouldn't be upset about anything. It does sound like they thought you and your wife would be out of town. I'm sure it wasn't an intentional slight.

Old 01-05-2020, 03:50 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,740,695 times
Not miffed in the least.

Do you believe they are shunning you for some reason? Or that they are just bad people? Honestly, what is the theory supporting your hurt feelings?

Old 01-05-2020, 04:20 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,024,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Not miffed in the least.

Do you believe they are shunning you for some reason? Or that they are just bad people? Honestly, what is the theory supporting your hurt feelings?
Theory?

If I unexpectedly learned that a good friend was alone for NYE, and I was going to a very small (2 other couples...all good friends who socialize a lot), very casual get-together, I would 100% invite that friend. Not a question about it.

I do think it probably didn't compute that my wife and I wouldn't be together for the holiday and that we'd both still be out of town. But obviously the one friend that called DID know.

Old 01-05-2020, 04:26 PM

24,590 posts, read 10,896,457 times
If you are that good friends why did you not speak up but stew on it?

Old 01-05-2020, 04:26 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
Theory?

If I unexpectedly learned that a good friend was alone for NYE, and I was going to a very small (2 other couples...all good friends who socialize a lot), very casual get-together, I would 100% invite that friend. Not a question about it.

I do think it probably didn't compute that my wife and I wouldn't be together for the holiday and that we'd both still be out of town. But obviously the one friend that called DID know.
He told you he was "on his way" to the party. Is there a chance they were in the car already, and it just didn't occur to him???

Maybe he just doesn't think very fast on his feet. Even if I knew you were home, I would have thought you'd be too tired from traveling to come to the party.

Yes, he could have at least asked, but who here really knows why he didn't?

Old 01-05-2020, 04:27 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
It wasn't his house and he didn't feel comfortable inviting you because of that most likely.

AND since it wasn't a big deal at all, he probably didn't even think about it for more than a few seconds, and that's it.

I wouldn't even give it another thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships