Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2020, 12:22 PM

1,260 posts, read 945,520 times

Advertisements

A good guy friend of mine, broke up with his girlfriend. Just a little background on him, he's the type that always needs to be in a relationship. When he started dating her, only two months previous to that did he break up with his previous GF. So he gets new GFs pretty quickly and it seems like being in a relationship is what makes him the most happy.

They had been dating for about six months and last week he sends me a message saying "Clarissa and I broke up, but I don't want to talk about it. How are you?"

Obviously I can't ignore the message, so I probed to find out more about what happened and to make sure he was okay. But I have to admit it was a little annoying him bringing that up and expecting me to dismiss and ignore that. So I tried giving him words of encouragement, even though I knew he is in a lot of pain. In one text exchange he told me he was in a lot of pain and was crying in bed, but he didn't want to talk about it.

Yesterday I sent a text to see how he was doing. He texted me "These are very dark days, but I wouldn't want to weigh you down, so I don't want to talk about it. How are you?"

I responded to him letting him now that he wouldn't be weighing me down and to talk to me and that we should meet in person to catch up. But he hasn't responded yet.

Should I be worried or just let him be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2020, 12:40 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkertinker View Post
They had been dating for about six months and last week he sends me a message saying "Clarissa and I broke up, but I don't want to talk about it. How are you?"
All you can do is say "I'm okay. I'm sorry to hear about you and Clarissa. I get not wanting to talk about it. If that changes, I'm here for you."

Old 03-05-2020, 01:34 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
IMHO what he really said was "I'm not ready to talk about it quite yet." His thoughts about the situation may just be in a mess. That could change in a day. Agree with the previous post...remind him you're there when he IS ready. Change the subject. Give him something else to think about. You've done what a friend should do: listen, respect what you've heard, and remind him you'll be supportive if/when he needs you to be.

Old 03-05-2020, 01:42 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
He is an "energy vampire" and I would distance myself.

This is nonsense, not a real life problem.

Seriously, a grown man acting like this over a "relationship" that went on a few months? He needs to go visit a children's hospital and put things in perspective. Maybe he will get what "dark days" really are.

Old 03-06-2020, 08:46 AM

1,260 posts, read 945,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

Seriously, a grown man acting like this over a "relationship" that went on a few months? He needs to go visit a children's hospital and put things in perspective. Maybe he will get what "dark days" really are.
I don't know if he is an energy vampire, but saying something like "these are dark days" to me means he's really in bad shape and very depressed or he is being very dramatic.

Old 03-09-2020, 09:52 AM

8,151 posts, read 8,350,911 times
Why not offer to spend sometime doing something with him: go to batting cage, go to the zoo, sports game, movie, etc?

Old 03-09-2020, 10:20 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

I would say the friend is trying REALLY HARD to NOT be an energy vampire. How many times does he have to say "I'm not ready to talk about it."?

He's told this guy like 4 times.

Old 03-09-2020, 01:46 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,964,014 times
I’m not so sure that “I’m not ready to talk about it” isn’t code for “Secretly I’m hoping you’ll ask me about it.”

I wonder about this because it’s obvious the guy is very needy, hopping from one failed relationship to the next (which probably fails because, again, he’s needy).

Old 03-09-2020, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkertinker View Post
I don't know if he is an energy vampire, but saying something like "these are dark days" to me means he's really in bad shape and very depressed or he is being very dramatic.
Dark days? He was dating this woman a few months, dark days are the death of a parent, job loss, end of long term relationship of several years, especially if someone leaves someone.

Not this nonsense. He is being very dramatic, how is going to handle really difficult situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I would say the friend is trying REALLY HARD to NOT be an energy vampire. How many times does he have to say "I'm not ready to talk about it."?

He's told this guy like 4 times.

LOL..you don't get it. The OP isn't asking, the friend keeps saying in his messages he doesn't want to talk about, than quit saying that.

You don't keep saying that when you really don't want to talk about it.

Old 03-09-2020, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I’m not so sure that “I’m not ready to talk about it” isn’t code for “Secretly I’m hoping you’ll ask me about it.”

I wonder about this because it’s obvious the guy is very needy, hopping from one failed relationship to the next (which probably fails because, again, he’s needy).
Of course it is.

These types are a drain. I'm all for helping people I can and having empathy, for real issues.

But this is ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships