Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2020, 07:53 PM

35,082 posts, read 17,033,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
IMO....YES...BUT only if it's a healthy relationship. There are many dysfunctional relationships or angry ppl that don't make for happiness.....they just spread the bitter & dysfunction around. edit: you can see a lot of that on the forum IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadyclem View Post
Relationship doesn't make for happiness. Why? Because you reflect who you are in your relationship. If you're not first a happy person, you can't get or give happiness. One question I want ask is "what is happiness? " You can't be happy or experience happiness until you define what it is to you. Some of us are looking for what we're yet to identify or define; that's why we keep jumping from one activity to another or from one person to another in hope of finding what is missing. Yet we don't know what is it that is missing that we're looking for. So I'm gonna end my response like this, whether relationship can make for happiness or not is dependent on your perception of what happiness is to you.
Being a shut-in doesn't make for happiness either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2020, 08:16 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
Most of my relationships have made me miserable, which is why I have very few of them currently, which has brought me closer to happiness than I’ve ever been. Which means I disagree with OPs premise that relationships make for happiness.

Old 09-04-2020, 06:37 AM

12,779 posts, read 14,992,488 times
Sure great relationships w/ people, whether romantic OR just friendships enhance life just as long as they're POSITIVE. Of course, NEGATIVE relationships are nothing but headaches, aggravation, frustration, & everything else negative & therefore definitely not worth having in one's life.

I will add that yes, positive relationships enhance life, which brings happiness, however to me, they're NOT mandatory to make me content in life. In fact, no one should feel like they NEED anyone for their happiness. I've always had that philosophy.

Old 09-04-2020, 06:50 AM

10,503 posts, read 7,045,926 times
A good relationship makes life richer and fuller. A bad relationship makes life hellish.

Old 09-04-2020, 08:40 AM

6,306 posts, read 4,201,329 times
I think if you are happy within yourself it sets the tone on how you live your life and what types of relationships develop. Needing relationships is vastly different than nurturing ones that grow organically, be it minimal to more involved.

Old 09-04-2020, 09:52 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,800,319 times
There is a scale. Some people find that having many relationships make them happy, others find that they want only a few relationships. Then there are some (very few I imagine) who really don't want any relationship that is too much more than surface level. Everyone is different. In general though, yes...good relationships make people happy.

Old 09-04-2020, 09:53 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,584,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Being a shut-in doesn't make for happiness either.

What does being a shut in have to do with healthy relationships making for happiness?

We are all more closed in than we used to be.......so a healthy relationship is going to make us more happy than a dysfunctional one...or not having one IMO.

Old 09-07-2020, 07:48 AM

1,713 posts, read 1,107,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I have said many times, "Everyone needs a partner"... You need someone to share your life.
No. Whole worlds of no.

I thrive on being alone and my life isn't for sharing. If anything I need LESS human contact so I can give all my time and energy to things I'd rather do.

Old 09-07-2020, 07:56 AM

10,503 posts, read 7,045,926 times
Good relationships do.

Old 09-07-2020, 10:27 AM

12,045 posts, read 8,429,550 times
Maybe you are asking the wrong question. In Abraham Maslow's American Psychologist's Theory of Hierarchy of Human Needs he lists belonging and friendships as two of the things a person needs to reach his full development of potential.

To that end, and thinking satisfaction in the long-term, perhaps it is healthy for humans to learn to manage all kinds of relationships not just the ones which make us happy.

Happiness is a butterfly coming and going but reaching a sense of self-management in relationships and family is satisfying. I wonder how one learns to have good relationships without managing a few rocky relationships.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships