Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2020, 10:42 AM

1,680 posts, read 1,793,559 times

Advertisements

Happiness and relationships are both subjective.

One doesn't need relationships to formulate happiness nor reverse.

I believe Happiness to be an emotion (energy in emotion). Relationship may evoke but are not happiness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2020, 07:46 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,586,529 times
My current relationship makes me super happy..........my relationship with my ex husband made me miserable. BUT....IMO you have to be happy with yourself 1st so that you can be happy with somebody else.....or leave if you aren't happy.

Old 09-08-2020, 01:56 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,535,359 times
Of course relationships make for happiness. In other words, relationships are the key to happiness. Of course this means positive relationships, not negative ones. Granted at different times in our lives we have different social needs but the vast majority of people need some type of relationship at some time to be happy in their lives. I think hardly anyone can be happy being alone forever. I can see for a period of time being alone and being happy, but not forever.

Old 09-08-2020, 05:03 PM

1,713 posts, read 1,108,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
I think hardly anyone can be happy being alone forever. I can see for a period of time being alone and being happy, but not forever.
Where do I sign up as a test case? I regularly dream of being the last person left alive on the planet after some cataclysmic event so I can get a bit of peace at last.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R12FMuOWzx4

Old 09-08-2020, 08:16 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,535,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbles76 View Post
Where do I sign up as a test case? I regularly dream of being the last person left alive on the planet after some cataclysmic event so I can get a bit of peace at last.

Haha, not sure if you know what I mean though. What I mean is someone who goes through life NEVER having any kind of significant relationship, whether that be romantic or friendship. I'm talking about someone who just basically does everything alone, for their whole life. That would be literally unbearable to me. And I'm pretty introverted myself. I don't need a lot of human interaction, but I do need some. I'm not talking about someone who's had past relationships and now wishes to be alone for the rest of their lives. Unless you're telling me you're one of those people I describe. Then all I can say is you're one of the very few that can be happy like that, IMO, and more power to you.

Old 09-08-2020, 08:27 PM

I had a hugely overprotective childhood with virtually no privacy or solitude. Now I cling to every precious second of alone time I can get and try to make the most of it. Lonely? Sure, at times, but I'd rather put up with that than be constantly exasperated or have to walk on eggshells to please or at least not upset people.

There may well be a 'right person' somewhere out in the big, bad world who can encourage me to change my hermit-like ways. For their sake and mine, I hope I don't meet them.

Old 09-09-2020, 07:36 AM

50,825 posts, read 36,527,673 times
Quote:

Well, your peace will last until you get a tooth infection or need surgery.
Your post reminds me of “The Bookworm” episode of Twilight Zone, where Burgess Meredith only wants to be left alone to read. He survives an atomic blast that destroys everyone (he was in the vault at the bank where he works lol). Walking over the rubble, he discovers that the books in the NYC public library have all survived intact. He is thrilled at the prospect of a life with books and no people!! Then he accidentally breaks his glasses....

Old 09-09-2020, 07:41 AM

50,825 posts, read 36,527,673 times
Quote:
I had a hugely overprotective childhood with virtually no privacy or solitude. Now I cling to every precious second of alone time I can get and try to make the most of it. Lonely? Sure, at times, but I'd rather put up with that than be constantly exasperated or have to walk on eggshells to please or at least not upset people.

There may well be a 'right person' somewhere out in the big, bad world who can encourage me to change my hermit-like ways. For their sake and mine, I hope I don't meet them.
Or you might find someone that accepts you for how you are. I’m very solitary person living with a social butterfly, and it works out well. I get both alone time and a partner. Even when we are home together, he can tell when I need space and will go play video games or watch tv in the bedroom for awhile. No one should try to change you but let be you for who you are.

Old 09-09-2020, 05:05 PM

85 posts, read 35,101 times
I think there is a gradient. Being in a happy relationship is better than being alone, and being alone is better than being in a bad relationship. It goes both romantically and non romantically. I'm pretty sure that people who have a great family that they get along with a happier than the ones who don't, but its also better not to be around your family and spend holidays alone if your family is really awful and abusive to you. The same with friendships, sometimes it's better to let things go than to tolerate a horrible friend. But in the ideal world yes, I believe that people who have a great partner, friends and family that they get along with are the happiest people

Old 09-09-2020, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Well, your peace will last until you get a tooth infection or need surgery.
Your post reminds me of “The Bookworm” episode of Twilight Zone, where Burgess Meredith only wants to be left alone to read. He survives an atomic blast that destroys everyone (he was in the vault at the bank where he works lol). Walking over the rubble, he discovers that the books in the NYC public library have all survived intact. He is thrilled at the prospect of a life with books and no people!! Then he accidentally breaks his glasses....
I adore that episode, and I have a spare pair of glasses for just such an emergency. The apocalypse is already twenty years late and I am not a patient man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships