Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2020, 04:59 PM

35,080 posts, read 17,043,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
She did a great job of acting like a caring, kind person while dating Harry. She needed to rush into marriage so she could drop the act. She needed to have a baby really fast to secure a permanent tether to the RF name.

That chapter is now closed and she on to the next plan, which is to get rich on the coat tails of the RF. That will not make her happy. One day she will realize that it is relationships with people that make people happy, but it will likely be too late.
While this is from a thread on the crackup of the Royal Family this thread is NOT about Megxit. It is about the highlighted portion of the quoted thread.

In another context I recently finished reading Benedict Arnold: Patriot and Traitor by Willard Sterne Randall.I suspect from reading the book that Benedict Arnold did not die a happy man. Spurned by the country he betrayed, not really welcomed by the country for whom he executed the treason, and having sired a child out of wedlock despite having a (then) doting wife, he died a broken, indebted and bitter man at a relatively young age. What Meghan Markle and Benedict Arnold have in common, in addition to being Americans in London, is gratuitously kicking the ones they supposedly love in the teeth. In my view, that never ends well. Perhaps, hopefully, they look back on times when they had true friends.

Last edited by june 7th; 09-03-2020 at 03:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2020, 05:16 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,877,894 times
Whelp, Homo sapiens is a communal species that tends to benefit through relationships with others, so there's that. A human who chooses to spurn, take unfair advantage, and abuse others is bound to end up alone eventually. It probably won't kill them outright (even though there's statistical evidence it can), but they are less likely to pass their genes on to the next generation unless they are lucky enough to breed early.

Old 01-12-2020, 05:36 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,959,146 times
The only thing that makes me happy is friendships. Money is nice, but anyone who has had a big pot of money knows that it really is just one more big responsibility. Put me in a room with someone who has a lively lovely kind mind for an hour and I will thrive for a month.

Old 01-12-2020, 06:04 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,223,339 times
"Positive" relationships make for happiness. I've been in negative relationships and they're not so great. relationships based on mutual respect for each other are great and to be nurtured.

Old 01-12-2020, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
"Positive" relationships make for happiness. I've been in negative relationships and they're not so great. relationships based on mutual respect for each other are great and to be nurtured.
Good point!
Certainly relationships where one party nurtures the ties for their own reason and then backstabs don't enrich people any more than they enriched the lives of the two people in the OP.

Old 09-03-2020, 12:16 PM

2 posts, read 1,217 times
Being in love with a negative person and continue such relationships, easily become a similar person.

Old 09-03-2020, 12:21 PM

25,582 posts, read 17,304,861 times
Quote:
Do Relationships Make for Happiness? (I believe so) (wife, person, abuse)
Absolutely.
I have said many times, "Everyone needs a partner". A friend can be a partner. A spouse. Sibling. In my town I see a mother-daughter partnership that works. Everything works, gay straight, or in between.
Everyone needs someone they can depend on for all things major and minor. You need someone to share your life.

Old 09-03-2020, 03:25 PM

Someone repped me for this thread. Thanks.

Old 09-03-2020, 03:32 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,586,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Do Relationships Make for Happiness?

IMO....YES...BUT only if it's a healthy relationship. There are many dysfunctional relationships or angry ppl that don't make for happiness.....they just spread the bitter & dysfunction around. edit: you can see a lot of that on the forum IMO.

Old 09-03-2020, 05:10 PM

127 posts, read 43,152 times
Relationship doesn't make for happiness. Why? Because you reflect who you are in your relationship. If you're not first a happy person, you can't get or give happiness. One question I want ask is "what is happiness? " You can't be happy or experience happiness until you define what it is to you. Some of us are looking for what we're yet to identify or define; that's why we keep jumping from one activity to another or from one person to another in hope of finding what is missing. Yet we don't know what is it that is missing that we're looking for. So I'm gonna end my response like this, whether relationship can make for happiness or not is dependent on your perception of what happiness is to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships