Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2020, 11:43 AM

36,528 posts, read 30,856,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
We were invited with two other couples for a long weekend in December. One couple rented a house near a ski resort and there were six of us adults with our attendant young kids.

The couple that rented the house has a well mannered medium sized dog. At the last minute their pet sitter fell through and they had to scramble. They ended up bringing the dog with them. They had luckily booked a place that was pet friendly.

Though I'm allergic to dogs we were told ahead of time (a few days prior to leaving) that the dog might have to join. So I brought my allergy meds. All was fine as it was a short trip and the dog slept and stayed mostly in one part of the house. It really was no trouble from my perspective

The other couple that came with us is still going on about how rude it was to bring the dog. They want us to both approach the dog owners and complain. My sense is that they rented the house as a gift to us and therefore they get to call the shots. We had a nice time. But the other couple really won't let it go. I don't understand why they showed up. They could have chosen not to come when they heard the dog would be there. I'm getting tired of hearing about it as I enjoyed our weekend trip.

Was the dog owning couple rude in your opinion? Or is the complaining couple out of line?
Would they have preferred the trip be canceled.
To the bold, what is their end game? What do they hope to accomplish by ganging up on these people and complaining?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2020, 11:54 AM

3,288 posts, read 2,358,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
The house renters and hosts did the best they could. The complainers could have stayed home, since advance notice was given.

You can tell the complainers to talk directly with the hosts instead of trying to put you in the middle.
I don’t think the complainers are right but what if they had put in for time off at work and found out about the dog after. Sure, they could have stayed home but maybe they didn’t want to waste a day off at home.mm

Old 01-17-2020, 12:32 PM

36,528 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
I don’t think the complainers are right but what if they had put in for time off at work and found out about the dog after. Sure, they could have stayed home but maybe they didn’t want to waste a day off at home.mm
When you put in for a day off is it written in stone?
My plans have often changed and I just tell the boss plans changed I'll be coming in after all that day(s).

Old 01-17-2020, 12:49 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,639,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I vote for telling couple #2 to call the host couple and complain if they want, but you don't have a beef with them.

Also, as soon as convenient, let the host couple know that you appreciated the heads up about their dog and that though they may hear from couple #3, as far as you are concerned it was a wonderful weekend and you all had a great time.

Also, I would send over a thank you gift if you haven't already. Or invite them out to dinner to say thanks.
Great response.

Old 01-19-2020, 08:11 PM

1,159 posts, read 620,098 times
They want you to complain with them? So weak of them to need back up. If they had a problem, they can complain themselves...

Old 01-20-2020, 10:14 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
We were invited with two other couples for a long weekend in December. One couple rented a house near a ski resort and there were six of us adults with our attendant young kids.

The couple that rented the house has a well mannered medium sized dog. At the last minute their pet sitter fell through and they had to scramble. They ended up bringing the dog with them. They had luckily booked a place that was pet friendly.

Though I'm allergic to dogs we were told ahead of time (a few days prior to leaving) that the dog might have to join. So I brought my allergy meds. All was fine as it was a short trip and the dog slept and stayed mostly in one part of the house. It really was no trouble from my perspective

The other couple that came with us is still going on about how rude it was to bring the dog. They want us to both approach the dog owners and complain. My sense is that they rented the house as a gift to us and therefore they get to call the shots. We had a nice time. But the other couple really won't let it go. I don't understand why they showed up. They could have chosen not to come when they heard the dog would be there. I'm getting tired of hearing about it as I enjoyed our weekend trip.

Was the dog owning couple rude in your opinion? Or is the complaining couple out of line?

Which is it? The couple that rented the house brought the dog or the couple that rented the house as a gift is complaining because they get to call the shots?

I'm confused.

Old 01-20-2020, 11:15 AM

20,762 posts, read 19,968,204 times
Quote:

that dog probably was more quiet and clean as the young kids.

I'd spent a weekend with dogs any time. I would probably rather stay home than spending it with children. But I would not complain about it because that is my choice. Going into a know situation and then complain about it - rude. Getting a free weekend place and complain about it - rude. Trying to pull other people on my side and get them involved - rude.

I would probably let them have it and never speak with them again. They are not good friends.

Old 01-20-2020, 11:30 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,858,568 times
Ask them whether they would have preferred for the dog couple (who rented the house) to not be allowed or for the entire trip to have been cancelled vs. dealing with a well-behaved dog.

Old 01-21-2020, 07:06 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
Quote:

No question about this one. They rented the house. They let you know in advance the dog had to come. The other couple is extremely rude to pressure you to complain when you were not bothered.

What is their complaint going to be? That they brought their dog to the house they paid to rent?

Old 01-21-2020, 09:01 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,975,888 times
If somebody footed your bill for a ski trip or at least the lodgings than be accepting of their dogs is the least both couples can do. Young kids are much much more of a PITA than a lovely dog. I have both and can speak directly to it.. Plus last minute dog sitting services are super expensive like $100/day. Tell the other couple to pound sand and thank the primary couple for footing the challet. A 3 bedroom house over a long weekend was probably $500+ per night and even more if ski in/out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships