Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2020, 05:03 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,455,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
No question about this one. They rented the house. They let you know in advance the dog had to come. The other couple is extremely rude to pressure you to complain when you were not bothered.

What is their complaint going to be? That they brought their dog to the house they paid to rent?
So I did ask this question and they want us to tell this other couple that they have a "problem " and are rude to insist that the dog come. That the dog is "always around " when they/we come over and use my allergies as a legitimate reason to shun the dog and basically shame the owners. Apparently they hate dogs and resent "dog friendly " businesses etc as well as people who take their dogs places.

The dog couple has the puo in their house but he's not traveled with us in the past so I don't know where they are getting this. I told the dog haters that I had a great time and to stop complaining. I also told the hosts (again) that we enjoyed our time and complimented them on their well behaved pet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2020, 05:09 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
So I did ask this question and they want us to tell this other couple that they have a "problem " and are rude to insist that the dog come. That the dog is "always around " when they/we come over and use my allergies as a legitimate reason to shun the dog and basically shame the owners. Apparently they hate dogs and resent "dog friendly " businesses etc as well as people who take their dogs places.

The dog couple has the puo in their house but he's not traveled with us in the past so I don't know where they are getting this. I told the dog haters that I had a great time and to stop complaining. I also told the hosts (again) that we enjoyed our time and complimented them on their well behaved pet.

Old 01-22-2020, 07:09 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,183,354 times
If I had as many weirdly ungrateful and/or opportunistic "friends" as OP does, I'd prefer moving to Outer Mongolia to ditch them. That would have the bonus effect of removing the impetus to post seemingly endless threads about their annoying behaviors. Just saying...

Old 01-22-2020, 07:23 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,455,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfab1 View Post
If I had as many weirdly ungrateful and/or opportunistic "friends" as OP does, I'd prefer moving to Outer Mongolia to ditch them. That would have the bonus effect of removing the impetus to post seemingly endless threads about their annoying behaviors. Just saying...
Its always interesting to see the people who post just to complain that others post. Bless your heart!

Old 01-22-2020, 08:58 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,183,354 times
Haha, that's extra funny coming from you, dear heart! Thanks for the laugh!

Old 01-22-2020, 12:06 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
Quote:

Well done, thanks for the feedback!

Old 01-23-2020, 04:45 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfab1 View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Thank God none of my friends act like this.

Old 01-23-2020, 06:52 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times
Quote:
We were invited with two other couples for a long weekend in December. One couple rented a house near a ski resort and there were six of us adults with our attendant young kids.

The couple that rented the house has a well mannered medium sized dog. At the last minute their pet sitter fell through and they had to scramble. They ended up bringing the dog with them. They had luckily booked a place that was pet friendly.

Though I'm allergic to dogs we were told ahead of time (a few days prior to leaving) that the dog might have to join. So I brought my allergy meds. All was fine as it was a short trip and the dog slept and stayed mostly in one part of the house. It really was no trouble from my perspective

The other couple that came with us is still going on about how rude it was to bring the dog. They want us to both approach the dog owners and complain. My sense is that they rented the house as a gift to us and therefore they get to call the shots. We had a nice time. But the other couple really won't let it go. I don't understand why they showed up. They could have chosen not to come when they heard the dog would be there. I'm getting tired of hearing about it as I enjoyed our weekend trip.

Was the dog owning couple rude in your opinion? Or is the complaining couple out of line?
I guess bringing the dog was rather rude - they could have booked the dog into a kennel. On the other hand, no reason for the complaining burden to fall on you. Just tell the other couple, "If it bothers you so much, call them and say so, instead of complaining to me."

Old 01-23-2020, 10:35 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I guess bringing the dog was rather rude - they could have booked the dog into a kennel. On the other hand, no reason for the complaining burden to fall on you. Just tell the other couple, "If it bothers you so much, call them and say so, instead of complaining to me."
They were the ones paying for the vacation house. They didn't have a duty to try and get a pet sitter to begin with. The invitation could have come with the knowledge that a dog would be there. The guests could accept or decline, but not tell the host what to do.

I guess these guests decline invitations to the home? Or maybe they put the dog up when there are guests.

Old 01-24-2020, 10:16 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
They were the ones paying for the vacation house. They didn't have a duty to try and get a pet sitter to begin with. The invitation could have come with the knowledge that a dog would be there. The guests could accept or decline, but not tell the host what to do.
That's the part I could see where people might think it was rude. The invitation did not originally include the dog. The others were only informed a few days prior to leaving, which I don't consider advanced notice. What were the friends supposed to do with such short notice? Canceling their trip? The OP didn't say what type of travel was involved with this trio. Did they have to fly? Drive a long distance? Take off work? Most people aren't going to cancel everything a few days in advance, especially with kids involved and probably excited for the trip.

I find it hard to believe they couldn't find a single place to board their dog. Maybe the plan was to take the dog all along, but they knew the others wouldn't go if they knew in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships