Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2020, 12:30 AM

3,166 posts, read 3,362,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
THIS! Sorry OP but IMHO YOU sound like the crazy one here. Controlling, suspicious, possessive, in it for no one but yourself...not for the benefit of this BF. You admitted you'd drop him like a hot rock for being generous with anyone other than you. Not for one second do I believe that you "kindly told" his acquaintance anything.
Let me ask you this question, would you put up with a spouse or someone you strongly thought about marrying to allow others mooch off of him/her?

Ftr, I didn’t use any threats of violence. I’m not stupid. I simply told her stop taking advantage of him and shouldn’t be borrowing money from a man who isn’t her spouse or boyfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
If he knows this and wants to marry you he will change. If he still does the behaviors you don't like he probably isn't too motivated to marry you.

You can't make this change happen. He has to do it.

But I'm puzzled why you would want to marry someone you have so little respect for. If you can't accept him the way he is now there is almost zero chance of him changing after marriage.

Has it ever occurred to you that you both may be using each other?
Yeah, obviously he isn’t too motivated to marry me otherwise he’d be more concerned with paying down his debt. Getting into a marriage when one has a boatload of debt is never a good idea.

I don’t feel like we’re using each other. He usually controls our relationship in what we do on a lot of things since we believe God is the head then man then woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
That's not what you said in your first post though. It makes sense that you would want him to get his finances in order before getting married, but you don't want to marry him because he's a spinless doormat who can't stand up for himself. Does he know this is how you really feel about him? If so, I guess it must be true because I can't think of any other reason a man would stay with a woman that has such a low opinion of him. But then, I also can't figure out why you would stay with a man you think so little of. Especially if you feel he is emotionally cheating on you.
I never called him a spineless doormat. I have however reminded him to let other people pay their own way and stop feeling sorry for other friends’ money problems that makes him feel obligated to help out.

Spot on about discussing finances before marriage and getting things out in the open. If they’re unwilling to change about something that isn’t right, then that person isn’t ready for marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
He is generous with others, but is in debt?

RUN! Run far away from this shnook. Marrying him will lead to a lifetime of misery. Find someone else who is smarter, smart enough not to let people use him, smart enough to be fiscally responsible.
Yes, I was shocked when he told me his money problems but yet is generous with others. I’m sure he’s been doing that for God only knows how long bc he acts like it’s no big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm sitting here wishing for a transcript of the conversation where you "kindly" told her to scram.

*easily entertained*
Be my guest. I didn’t use any words of profanity or use any tone of violence. I’m not stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilLisa83 View Post
So your thought process is it's weak and disrespectful to yourself to get financial help from someone? Hmm ok
If you don't plan on marrying him, why do you care about any of this???!!!
Your issue is with him. You sound very rude to be calling your boyfriend names...
Tell me this, would you be happy if your spouse or significant other was allowing someone to mooch money especially from someone of the opposite sex?

I think many people are missing the point here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2020, 01:06 AM

22,343 posts, read 29,452,102 times
Dump the guy, find one with a spine and move on with your life. Pretty easy

Old 01-20-2020, 04:46 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,522,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
I never called him a spineless doormat.
Well you didn’t use the word spineless, but you absolutely DID call him a doormat.

Old 01-20-2020, 05:23 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
I really don't know why my boyfriend allows so-called friends walk all over him.
He has self-esteem issues and desperately wants to be liked.

You've talked before about some of the things he does for other people who never reciprocate. What else could it be other than buying friends? Of course it's ultimately self-defeating because the kind of people who associate with you only because you give them money or favors are never your friends. As you've noted, people are quick to spot an easy mark.

You can't fix him. Maybe therapy could, but that would have to be his decision. He probably doesn't think there's anything strange about what he does.

Old 01-20-2020, 05:32 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Well you didn’t use the word spineless, but you absolutely DID call him a doormat.

So? He goes around begging people to wipe their feet on him. "Doormat" seems apt. I could never respect anyone like that, either.

Old 01-20-2020, 06:25 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,578,801 times
Default Mutual acquaintance threatens to call police bc I kindly told her stop taking advantage of my boyfriend

from the o.p., not sure how the police got involved ?

unless by kindly told her, you mean stop talking to my man or i'll kick your a--; then, she threatened to have you charged with misdemeanor assault.

Old 01-20-2020, 06:33 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,522,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
So? He goes around begging people to wipe their feet on him. "Doormat" seems apt. I could never respect anyone like that, either.
I'm not saying she should respect him. Just clarifying that she did indeed say something that she said she has never done.

I think she should so them both a favor and end the relationship. It's going nowhere, so what's the point?

Old 01-20-2020, 07:42 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,786,737 times
Happy, if you choose to believe that it is divine will that your husband should lead you, then you really MUST choose a better man for your husband. Money issues are the most common reason that people divorce. Charity begins at home, and if this man is in debt, yet gives away money to other people, how will you feel when your own needs (not wants, NEEDS, like food, clothing, shelter, healthcare, old age care) are being compromised because he has given away your money (and when you marry, his debts are YOUR debts, and your money is HIS money), no matter to whom and no matter how righteous the cause? How will you feel when he puts other people ahead of you, and even ahead of your children together?

Marriage counselors say that the marriage is irretrievably broken when one partner has contempt for the other. The way you have written about him, it's clear you have contempt for his foolishness about money, and rightly so. Do NOT make the mistake of marrying this man. End it, and find someone else. If your concern is that he gives away money he doesn't have to another woman, how much more of a red flag is that for you?

Old 01-20-2020, 08:24 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,029,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
But unlike the OP, you probably wouldn't get in a long term relationship with someone you don't respect. That's the question Happy doesn't want to answer. Does her boyfriend know how little she thinks of him? Does he know she thinks of him as a doormat...a sucker... someone who can't stand up for himself?

Old 01-20-2020, 09:32 AM

19,650 posts, read 12,239,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
But unlike the OP, you probably wouldn't get in a long term relationship with someone you don't respect. That's the question Happy doesn't want to answer. Does her boyfriend know how little she thinks of him? Does he know she thinks of him as a doormat...a sucker... someone who can't stand up for himself?
Probably. Because he is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships