Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2020, 07:07 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,617,651 times

Advertisements

UGH!
I"m not sure if I even want to comment on this topic because I will be either very angry or just cry !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2020, 11:09 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Older brother had a drug habit for a while in his 20s. Stole my jewelry, some of my mother's silver flatware, cash from most of us before we realized we had to keep our purses close.

Husband didn't exactly steal, but a few times if someone liked something of mine, such as my lighted Christmas houses or a flower sculpture I had bought for myself, he would give it to them. When I found out and objected, he would tell me how selfish I was. LOL.

He didn't just do this to me. One time a friend of mine had in her car an expensive sweatsuit that belonged to a guy she had dated. They'd broken up, and it was in her car because she planned to return it to him. One night she was hanging out after work and had too much to drink so she slept on our couch and wore the sweatsuit from her car so as not to sleep in office clothes. I told her to leave it there and I would wash it with my laundry and return it to her.

A day or so later, my husband had a friend over, and he saw the sweatsuit folded on top of the pile of laundry and admired it, so my husband gave it to him. I had to call the guy and ask for it back so I could give it to my friend to give back to her ex.

Old 02-08-2020, 09:05 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,910,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Older brother had a drug habit for a while in his 20s. Stole my jewelry, some of my mother's silver flatware, cash from most of us before we realized we had to keep our purses close.

Husband didn't exactly steal, but a few times if someone liked something of mine, such as my lighted Christmas houses or a flower sculpture I had bought for myself, he would give it to them. When I found out and objected, he would tell me how selfish I was. LOL.

He didn't just do this to me. One time a friend of mine had in her car an expensive sweatsuit that belonged to a guy she had dated. They'd broken up, and it was in her car because she planned to return it to him. One night she was hanging out after work and had too much to drink so she slept on our couch and wore the sweatsuit from her car so as not to sleep in office clothes. I told her to leave it there and I would wash it with my laundry and return it to her.

A day or so later, my husband had a friend over, and he saw the sweatsuit folded on top of the pile of laundry and admired it, so my husband gave it to him. I had to call the guy and ask for it back so I could give it to my friend to give back to her ex.
Mightyqueen801, what was wrong with this guy? Narcissism, control over you by making things you liked disappear? And curious about what happened with the greater reality hitting him when husband's friend had to return the sweatsuit.

Old 02-08-2020, 12:32 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,867,870 times
My brother ripped off my two sisters and I on the gift of a riding lawn mower for my father which he purchased used from a friend. We later we discovered he actually split the cost between the three of us girls and pitched in absolutely nothing, though he took full credit for the gift when we presented it to my father. This was just the last straw in a long line of such crap from him.

We got his number, though--as did my parents. They took him off their will as executor and off the land trust for the house, both of which were positions he originally held, because they didn't trust him to be honest or fair with his sisters. They even changed the locks of the family house last summer and didn't give him a key, though the three girls each got one.

Both my parents passed in the last six months, and we are in the process of settling their estate right now, and he has just discovered that he has effectively been cut out of everything in the process. He is pissed, and has demanded a key to the house, but none of us will give him one, so he cannot get into the house unless one of us is there with him. I have no doubt he would have immediately cleaned it out of all valuables if he had such access.

Eventually karma catches up to you, and you reap as you sow.

Old 02-09-2020, 10:30 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,910,508 times
Watch out though. Add in the extra anger he now feels and who knows what he could do. If there are any valuables you need to remove them whether he has a key or not.

Old 02-09-2020, 11:29 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Twice bitten forever shy. I WILL never be taken again.

My parents and I were both robbed by my sister. And she got away with it. The police refused to do anything because she was a family member. And I had a roommate who stole 7K and then filed a fake bankruptcy. She got away with it too.

Old 02-09-2020, 02:24 PM

6,815 posts, read 11,531,564 times
I’ve been lucky in this regard but have two sad stories from my husband’s family.

My husband’s sister was able to open several credit cards in her (poor as a churchmouse) mother’s name. Came to light when she got behind in the payments. Mom wouldn’t even report it to credit card companies because sis was on probation for bad checks and “didn’t want her to have any more trouble.” Mom got sued for over $10,000 on one card. Attorney finally took charge, got evidence of identity theft and got case dropped. Sis died of prescription drug overdose 20 years ago and Mom died 8 years ago. My other sister in law STILL gets the occasional collection call on these accounts.

My husband was 20 years old, serving in Vietnam. He was having most of his pay sent home to a savings account so he could buy a Camaro when he got out. Had about $1500 saved (quite a sizable amount for the 1960s). His Dad got into some sort of financial bind and took the money. Never paid him back.

Old 02-10-2020, 09:58 PM

7 posts, read 3,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongobongo View Post
When my wife was living at home, her two younger sisters would steal money from her room while she was at work. That these two grew up to be flaming liberals should surprise no one.
And I can point you in the direction of a Trump supporter currently sitting in jail on a no bond felony warrant that has 20 years of BS.

This person has (leaving gender out of it):
1. conned his/her way out of child support obligations by "applying for" disability that he/she didn't actually apply for. (claimed filed for years, didn't actually do it until recently) This meant court would refuse to attempt to collect.
2. (allegedly) used his/her deceased father's social security number to obtain credit and avoid child support.
3. falsified a felony level police report and faced charges in 2013 when the investigation proved it.
4. I believe falsified two more police reports (2018 & 2019) as a means to cover his/her tracks for stealing petty cash from employer. Investigation still open on both.
5. Has an upcoming social security disability hearing to determine eligibility; has been working under the table for cash for several jobs (have proof as such).
6. Recently applied for Toys for Tots assistance claiming to be the sole care giver of 4 children - 1 is actually a grown adult in the navy, and all 4 have never been under this person's primary care (2 taken away in 2002 by child protective services, 2 are under care of the other parent and this person has limited, or no, access to them). Who the heck scams Toys for Tots?!
7. Pled guilty to shoplifting Dec 2019.

My own mother, in the 90's, stole my social security number while I was still a child and opened credit, bank accounts, or used it to avoid financial obligations. She owed money to creditors all over the country. She also forged my father's signature on loans and credit cards before and after they were divorced. We still get the occasional skip tracer call looking for her. I haven't spoken to her in a good 25 years. (but, I have heard she's a pretty die hard Trump supporter - mentioning for the sake of the quoted comment).

Old 02-10-2020, 10:25 PM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times
I was temporarily robbed of thousands of dollars by my sibling executor after our Mom's death. A letter to his attorney took care of that real quick, and I haven't spoken to him in over 10 years.

Old 02-12-2020, 08:34 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,356,252 times
No. I don't answer the phone unless they're in my contacts. If it's important enough, they'll leave a voicemail and from there I'll decide whether to answer.

I trust no one.

Also, I'm a minimalist, I choose not to own much and seek out adventures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships