Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2020, 04:37 AM

7,596 posts, read 4,166,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
I doubt if this co-worker is as boring as this thread.
Then chances are the OP is not socially skilled. All the more reason to provide boring responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2020, 06:11 AM

19,649 posts, read 12,239,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Bad analogy. A workplace is not the place for personal socialization unless you're on a break.
That really depends on the workplace and type of job.

Some workplaces demand you are very social, or you will not fit in and it will not work out for you.

Old 02-03-2020, 07:53 AM

11,130 posts, read 9,769,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
We try to rescue people by going to a nearby room and calling them. Usually the chatter box leaves.

I don't have time. I've got coworkers who walk around and try to find people who will listen to them.
LOL! We used to do that when we saw the chatterbox coming. Co-worker friend "rescue calls" you from another cubicle and you pretend it's the boss calling you and get involved on the phone.

Old 02-03-2020, 09:36 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,576,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurryKatsu View Post
If the conversation she is offering concerns a rude topic, then you can respond rudely. For example, who wants to hear about her latest sexual escapades, racist attitudes, illegal behavior, or similar topics.
Gossip. I cut people off to say I don't do gossip. I have a real hangup about it. It really makes me mad for someone to tell me personal stuff about someone else, and even more if it's a rumor and may not even be true.

My neighbors are gossipy like old biddy's and jump to the most extreme possibilities when they don't know all the details.

Did you see that car get towed? Do you think it was repo'd or the HOA towed it for a violation? I'm like maybe they needed.......wait for it........a repair? sheesh.

Old 02-03-2020, 11:02 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,469,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littletraveller View Post
I'm not mean. I have had polite conversation with her before. But you give some people an inch and they take a mile.

I was venting and I do not know you. But damn, if you can't be transparent on the internet I guess nobody is safe.
You asked if you could tell a person that they were uninteresting. Whether it's your intent or not, that's personal and comes across as mean.

Just tell them you are not a person who enjoys socializing at work and prefer to just focus on your work uninterrupted. Say it each time she tries this and do not engage her further. Blunt, to the point and doesn't call the other person uninteresting.

Old 02-03-2020, 01:21 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,684,449 times
I wonder if this person is really boring or just boring for you. This friend of yours, does she have lot of friends? Does she join you in your interests/conversations that she is not interested in or something in the friendship where she gives you enough back? It may be worth putting up with her sports talk. She might not remember that you don't like sports.

If you know she is intentionally trying to force you to like something that you don't and you've been with her for awhile, maybe it's time to have a nice talk with her about it and try to get her response. If you don't get a good response, then it's time to end the friendship and move on if it bothers you that much.

Remember, any type of quality friendship and relationship has some implied give and take somewhere to make it work.

Old 02-03-2020, 04:18 PM

948 posts, read 568,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
You asked if you could tell a person that they were uninteresting. Whether it's your intent or not, that's personal and comes across as mean.

Just tell them you are not a person who enjoys socializing at work and prefer to just focus on your work uninterrupted. Say it each time she tries this and do not engage her further. Blunt, to the point and doesn't call the other person uninteresting.
Fair advice. But I never said SHE was uninteresting, her topics of conversation are uninteresting. I'm not discounting her as a person.

The other day, I walked in the break room and she already latched onto someone else. His eyes were glazing over, while she was complaining "my daughter doesn't clean her apartment, but I pay the rent!" Like what the hell lady, we're not your psychiatrist.

Old 02-03-2020, 05:27 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,469,729 times
Quote:
Fair advice. But I never said SHE was uninteresting, her topics of conversation are uninteresting. I'm not discounting her as a person.

The other day, I walked in the break room and she already latched onto someone else. His eyes were glazing over, while she was complaining "my daughter doesn't clean her apartment, but I pay the rent!" Like what the hell lady, we're not your psychiatrist.
"Your topics of conversation are uninteresting" is pretty equivalent to "I find you uninteresting". There are just better ways to make your point.

As for her conversation in the break room? Not your business so just ignore it.

Old 02-03-2020, 05:57 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,059,051 times
You could always pull a Tommy Lee Jones on her:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FdvXl5GAes

Old 02-03-2020, 06:55 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
There's something comedic about this description. I'm sitting here, giggling.

OP, is there anyone supervising this zoo?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships