Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2020, 06:15 AM

16,076 posts, read 21,159,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
When she/he starts in with the random discussion keep your head down for a moment, then just look up from your work all distracted like and interrupt them and say "I'm sorry, did you NEED something?".
I like this. I sometimes do something similar by replying only with "mmm, uh-huh, really?" and at least one "sorry, what?" to let them know I'm too distracted by whatever I'm doing to follow what they're saying.
Personal questions are met with "I'm sorry, that's personal and not something I care to talk about". Gossip can be met with "We don't know what really happened and I'm uncomfortable talking about this when so and so isn't here to give their side of the story."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2020, 08:14 AM

2,557 posts, read 2,683,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littletraveller View Post
Fair advice. But I never said SHE was uninteresting, her topics of conversation are uninteresting. I'm not discounting her as a person.

The other day, I walked in the break room and she already latched onto someone else. His eyes were glazing over, while she was complaining "my daughter doesn't clean her apartment, but I pay the rent!" Like what the hell lady, we're not your psychiatrist.
Many people have emotions that are hard to deal with. It's easy for a person to say "go find a psychiatrist." Most psychiatrist's are only available during certain time slots that don't always bode well with work schedules. It's nice (and not always an option) to be able to talk to a closer friend from time to time. As humans, some of us will default to the person near us even if we don't know the person that well.

Could be a potential friend worth having if you are willing and can listen to her, a little. This is the type of person you could start complaining about something back a little and she if she listens or sticks to her own thoughts too much.

Instead of ignoring her, you could've told her that she can ask her daughter to move out on her own if she won't follow rules, or she has to live with this situation. You still could if you bump into her again and tell her you thought about what she said before.

Old 02-04-2020, 10:12 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,168,553 times
Put on headphones and she will probably stop bothering you.

Old 02-04-2020, 11:11 AM

11,130 posts, read 9,767,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
Many people have emotions that are hard to deal with. It's easy for a person to say "go find a psychiatrist." Most psychiatrist's are only available during certain time slots that don't always bode well with work schedules. It's nice (and not always an option) to be able to talk to a closer friend from time to time. As humans, some of us will default to the person near us even if we don't know the person that well.

Could be a potential friend worth having if you are willing and can listen to her, a little. This is the type of person you could start complaining about something back a little and she if she listens or sticks to her own thoughts too much.

Instead of ignoring her, you could've told her that she can ask her daughter to move out on her own if she won't follow rules, or she has to live with this situation. You still could if you bump into her again and tell her you thought about what she said before.
Why in the world would the OP do that? OP is not interested in hearing her personal problems. Not interested in helping her. Not interested in being a "closer friend". What part of that did you miss in OP's posts? He/she wasn't being serious about the psychiatrist thing, they're just saying "find someone whose business it is to listen to your stories, don't pin down your co-workers". "Defaulting to someone near us" is not appropriate in all instances, and definitely not when you are interrupting people's work or whining about your kids to whomever is forced to share the break room.

Last edited by TheShadow; 02-04-2020 at 11:22 AM..

Old 02-04-2020, 03:52 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
You’ve gotten lots of advice and sympathy. Here’s what I think. Tell the coworker that you want to concentrate on work while at work. Tell her that you cannot help her with her personal problems. Ask her to not to stop by with any except work related matters. This is explicit and reasonable.

If she persists, keep records of her visits, and escalate to manager or HR.

Old 02-07-2020, 08:09 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,680,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littletraveller View Post
I have this annoying coworker who will approach me to tell me some boring story or opinion she has, and I couldn't care less. If not that she is asking nosy questions.

She is too stupid to take hints. I have my back turned to her and give minimal replies. Would this response be warranted?
Yes, the way you're doing it is rude.

It's fine to occasionally say, "Sorry, but I don't have time right now - I have to finish this" or even "I know a lot of people are really focused on the environment, but communal garbage consolidation just isn't something I'm interested in."

You cannot just forever give your co-worker a cold shoulder. You owe her some minimal attention. However, if you can figure out how to politely disagree with her very strongly and with great detail, she may bother you less. Like "I know a lot of people like Tom Cruise but since I not only think he's a mediocre actor, but I object to his politics, I really have completely lost interest in him."

Old 02-08-2020, 10:40 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Yes, the way you're doing it is rude.

It's fine to occasionally say, "Sorry, but I don't have time right now - I have to finish this" or even "I know a lot of people are really focused on the environment, but communal garbage consolidation just isn't something I'm interested in."

You cannot just forever give your co-worker a cold shoulder. You owe her some minimal attention. However, if you can figure out how to politely disagree with her very strongly and with great detail, she may bother you less. Like "I know a lot of people like Tom Cruise but since I not only think he's a mediocre actor, but I object to his politics, I really have completely lost interest in him."
Disagree. The OP owes her coworker attention as it relates to on the job matters. If it doesn’t have to do with work, the OP owes nothing and any attention outside of work matters is a gift and not an obligation. With the chatty types, you 95% have to take a hard and direct line with them or they’ll never shut the hell up. I know this from experience.

Old 02-10-2020, 04:20 AM

8,272 posts, read 8,660,299 times
We all say things others may not be interested in but most get it out in seconds, not minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships