Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2020, 10:25 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,981,005 times

Advertisements

Well, you are 26 and act like it. Maybe your friends just grew up faster than you.

I was partying at 26 while everyone else was serious, so what. I had fun. Enjoy your youth but if you want to keep your friends, be serious while you are around them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2020, 01:07 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,325,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
IMHO (and some dictionaries would agree) there's a difference between "childlike" and "childish".

Childlike implies innocence, naivete, lack of sophistication or experience.

Childish implies thoughtlessness, crudity, being selfish, someone who should know how to behave but won't make the effort.
^^^This!
You sound childish...

Old 02-10-2020, 01:32 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Okay for example, i notice people have this creepy urge to turn something into politics. I would rather talk about my latest conquest at the bar, sports or traveling somewhere.

You are possibly just as "serious" about your latest bar conquest, favorite sport, etc. as the other person is about their politics. People are interested in what they are interested in. There's no right or wrong answer here.

Sometimes, if I am stuck in traffic i will wave at the car next to me. No reason. I don't know them or anything. I'm just chill like that. Sometimes they wave back, sometimes they look at me like "what are you doing".

This isn't a matter of seriousness. It is more a matter of confusion...why is this complete stranger waving at me? Did I miss something?

People are too PC these days. Like i was hanging out with a friend, and he was talking about a woman he was dating. I asked him "you her?" He paused as if I said something offensive and said "yes, we slept together". Like what is that??

Many many people regard that term as rude, impolite, dumb gutter talk. It makes YOU look stupid. Yes, you just offended your friend and the woman.

And music. Why do pop songs about couples breaking up top the charts? I love punk and heavy metal. That is upbeat stuff. But alas, that is going out of style.

Humans have always written songs about emotional stuff. They are popular because everyone can relate to those feelings. They feel like they have something in common with the writer. You can find breakup songs written during the earliest days of human civilization. The style of the music is what changes, not the content.

FWIW, I consider myself a pretty upbeat person who likes a lot of different types of music. Punk and heavy metal depress me as gloomy, sort of brainless, and irritating. Again, there's no right or wrong here, just preferences.

None of this describes serious people. Actually, you are hovering on the edge of being too "serious" about your personal preferences the more you write about it. You seem to regard people who don't behave just like you as wrong. There IS a word for that...arrogant.
What she said ^ ^

Last edited by Miss Blue; 02-11-2020 at 05:08 AM..

Old 02-11-2020, 04:00 AM

13,286 posts, read 8,460,871 times
I meet the conversation at the level of its speaker. Its called balance.

sadly I do come into contact with persons who have the deficit of carrying no wit or ease of transistion from serious to social politeness.

My boss is very cut and dry. Only one word answers apply in his world. I have adjusted to his pragmatic ways yet find it extremely daunting to deal with. If he ever cracked a joke or made an observation that was clever, I would be the first to faint. Aloof and indifferent are his monikers.

Old 02-11-2020, 05:06 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,681,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
And you can't see why it would be over the top? You were asking about his girlfriend, i.e. a loved one, not some other women in your & his social circles or work environment or whatever the context was.

OP, your difficulty understanding context and people's reactions may indicate that you're slightly on the autism spectrum. Or not. But that question tends to get raised on this forum, when an OP is puzzled about why people are reacting to him/her in ways that are unexpected to the OP.
Whatever the OP’s issue is, it is clear he has difficulty understanding social cues. Not every situation is appropriate to talk about a conquest, sports, or travels. If someone is talking about how his mom is sick and in the hospital, this is not the time to bust out a story about your latest conquest at the bar or how you went to Thailand last month.

I have friends who are serious in that it is really hard to have light/fun conversations with them. Sometimes they will try, but they admit that it is not their strong point.

At 26, people are at different phases of their lives. I had a lot of friends who were already married at that point and in serious jobs. Most had grown out of the hard-core partying phase by around 25, but there were still a few who were there. I’ve definitely been in workplaces with people in their 20s/early 30s where there is a big disconnect and some people really go out and party and others have no interest. I worked in one place where the partiers in particular did not seem to get the choices of others to move on and wondered why the non-partiers did better professionally.

Old 02-11-2020, 06:09 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,350,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littletraveller View Post
You could say I'm childlike. But I find a lot of people these days are arrogant/serious, and I never grew out of my early 2000's optimism.

I always have a joke to make and try to see the glass half full. Am I an endangered species?
I used to be surrounded by serious people. Now, I am a serious person. However, I still have an inner child. Oddly enough, it's not that I see the glass as half full. I see it as having a choice as to whether to fill the glass or empty it. But I look at it this way, at some point, the tables may turn. You may become a serious person and then surrounded by the more playful personalities. Something like that happened with me.

Old 02-11-2020, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Okay for example, i notice people have this creepy urge to turn something into politics. I would rather talk about my latest conquest at the bar, sports or traveling somewhere.

Sometimes, if I am stuck in traffic i will wave at the car next to me. No reason. I don't know them or anything. I'm just chill like that. Sometimes they wave back, sometimes they look at me like "what are you doing".

People are too PC these days. Like i was hanging out with a friend, and he was talking about a woman he was dating. I asked him "youModerator cut: deleteher?" He paused as if I said something offensive and said "yes, we slept together". Like what is that??

And music. Why do pop songs about couples breaking up top the charts? I love punk and heavy metal. That is upbeat stuff. But alas, that is going out of style.

Also, I think movies like sharknado are hilarious

Does any of this help?
The whole politics thing is everywhere. These days, it's cool to be political' yo, especially if you're offended.

Gub'MENT!!! (said in a way similar to how Ice Cube used to say West Side!!!)

But the offense and outrage phase will pass. In fact it is starting to. The next phase is the "I'm so over it phase." Everyone is gonna be like. "Eh' who cares." Give it about five years.

As for waving at people, you never know what you are going to get. Different people are going to have different mindsets which can cause them to read different things into anything.

And Sharknado is my style. I'd like to see more of them. Maybe pit the sharknado against something. 'Sharknado v. Whalicane' or something like that.

Old 02-11-2020, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Sorry, I should have provided more context here. We were already talking about women, but apparently THAT was over the top.
I think it makes very little difference in this case. The person you were talking to probably doesn't talk like that. Just not his style to use curse words.

Old 02-11-2020, 08:00 AM

5,490 posts, read 3,931,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, your difficulty understanding context and people's reactions may indicate that you're slightly on the autism spectrum.
Pretty poor conjecture on your part, there. I'd never guess that given the information given, as the OP sounds extremely sociable and seems frustrated others aren't sociable in the way he'd like them to be. Not everyone who wishes people were different need be automatically classified as 'on the spectrum'.

Old 02-11-2020, 08:21 AM

948 posts, read 568,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Not every situation is appropriate to talk about a conquest, sports, or travels. If someone is talking about how his mom is sick and in the hospital, this is not the time to bust out a story about your latest conquest at the bar or how you went to Thailand last month.
Umm. I know? I'm not stupid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships