Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2020, 08:58 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,032,233 times

Advertisements

OP, you kind of rubbed some people the wrong way by implying that you were some rare unicorn, more special than the rest of us. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2020, 09:31 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
The whole politics thing is everywhere. These days, it's cool to be political' yo, especially if you're offended.
Not everyone places the same importances on politics, but at the same time, it's a national election year. Many people have political issues that are not just minor interests but at the core of how they live their lives. It's a luxury to be able to completely "opt out" of being politically aware.

Old 02-11-2020, 10:03 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,045,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
OP, you kind of rubbed some people the wrong way by implying that you were some rare unicorn, more special than the rest of us. lol
Actually he just sounds like a typical superficial guy who is into bad music and silly movies. It’s very common. Not a crime. Punk music and Sharknado though? There’s no excuse for that.

Old 02-11-2020, 11:33 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,350,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Actually he just sounds like a typical superficial guy who is into bad music and silly movies. It’s very common. Not a crime. Punk music and Sharknado though? There’s no excuse for that.
I like Sharknado.

Arrest me. Sue me.

I also like The Room. Troll 2, and most recently, The Fanatic starring John Travolta. Sometimes, I want to laugh at what they come up with.

On the same token, I like movies like:

The Dark Knight
Batman Begins
Apocalypse Now
Blade Runner
Mad Max movies
Rocky movies
Creed movies

Old 02-11-2020, 11:47 AM

5,117 posts, read 2,164,301 times
Nope! I never have this problem because I refuse to deal with these types of people. Life is too stressful as it is. I need levity and humor in my life. If said person doesn't provide this to me, I will limit my interactions with them.

Old 02-11-2020, 12:09 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,024,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
Nope! I never have this problem because I refuse to deal with these types of people. Life is too stressful as it is. I need levity and humor in my life. If said person doesn't provide this to me, I will limit my interactions with them.
What are "these types of people"?

Old 02-11-2020, 12:32 PM

20,397 posts, read 14,673,179 times
Are they too serious?

Or are they boring (to you?)

That would simply indicate you don't really have much in common, and you're hanging around with incompatible human beings to yourself. I wouldn't have a great time in a sports bar in the deep south saturated in beer, country music, red hats, football, and fried food. Also would not have a great time at a nightclub pounding dance beats. My objectives in having a good time, aren't anything like those of the people in such places, we don't have anything in common, and if I'm there, I'm lying low until I can get the heck out.

Doesn't mean I'm right and they are wrong, that I'm better and they are worse, we're just different sorts and not the best fit. C'est la vie, man.

I would say with your friend, and the "Did you <whatever> her" comment... It's one thing when you are being crass about conquests, but did it occur to you, that your friend might see this woman as more than just a conquest? In which case, if he really likes her, and sees her as a potential partner, your talk of her like she's meat might well put him off.

Reminds me of conversations I've had with a guy who is mad that his buddies got married and don't want to hang with him anymore. He thinks the wives forced them to stop going out and having fun. I seriously just think that they no longer enjoy his company. They don't feel they've got things in common, the way he talks probably gets on their nerves. That sort of thing. People evolve, y'know?

Kinda just comes down to the fact that the world does not revolve around any one of us. Not me. Not you.

(I kinda agree about music, though...the old "Mr. Everyman can relate" songs about being hot for someone or falling in love or breaking up, are not to my taste, either. Give me a song about deadly stoner penguins on a rampage or an undying demon of war, or a game show about the senseless slaughter of the gutter slime that litters this fair nation for cash and prizes...)

Old 02-11-2020, 01:04 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,164,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
What are "these types of people"?
I was responding to the thread that is about surrounding yourself with people that are too serious....

Old 02-11-2020, 01:11 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,024,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
I was responding to the thread that is about surrounding yourself with people that are too serious....
Ya, I know. The OP failed to describe why he thinks his problem is the seriousness of other people, and that the reactions he gets are examples of people being serious.

So that's what I'm asking you. What are the characteristics of "these people" that you equate with being serious.

Old 02-11-2020, 02:29 PM

867 posts, read 1,588,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littletraveller View Post
You could say I'm childlike. But I find a lot of people these days are arrogant/serious, and I never grew out of my early 2000's optimism.

I always have a joke to make and try to see the glass half full. Am I an endangered species?

Some people are bubbly and happy all the time. It's part of your nature. Embrace it. You are much better off than the people that take things too seriously. And yes, most people are depressed and unhappy. Welcome to the world we live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships