Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2020, 08:40 PM

35,051 posts, read 31,251,460 times

Advertisements

One of my best friends was originally a coworker where I lived at the time in Indianapolis. At that point, we obviously saw each other every day. We worked together for about two years, then I found another job, and about six months after that, left that city to go back to my hometown. This was back between 2014-2016. He seemed a little ticked when I left the job and then left a town in a hurry, but I was likely to be fired and financially up against it. I didn't have much time or money. At that point, we were close enough to have keys to each other's house. He had me get a nearly $10,000 engagement ring from a jeweler before he proposed so his fiance wouldn't find it. Close stuff.

I went back to Indianapolis from Tennessee (420 miles) probably four to five times a year the first two years I was back here. I did a long weekend for his wedding back in 2017. I think I did my best coming up there to try and keep the friendship going. Nothing seemed "off" until back in 2019.

Keep in mind this is a guy that was on Facebook often and you could almost always hit him up on Messenger. His last Facebook post that he posted was a picture of him and his late father back in August. His wife and a few other people tagged him in a few things here or there.

I normally come up for a few Colts or Pacers games. No response on Messenger. The messages are delivered but never read. I've called - straight to VM. Texted - iMessages shows as delivered, but never a reply. Wife never responded.

A mutual friend and former colleague of ours was wanting to host a get-together at his farm south of Indy in a few weeks and tonight asked if I heard from Matt because he couldn't get a hold of him. That's what brought it back in my mind. I haven't and none of our mutual friends have.

I'm just befuddled. He's gone from daily Facebook posts a few years to tapering off to nothing. No kids that I know of. Wife has a big job, but no one ever responds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2020, 08:50 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,035,430 times
My first thought since he isn't responding to anyone is illness.

How old is he? Dementia?

Divorce and he isn't ready to talk about it?

Old 02-13-2020, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
My first thought since he isn't responding to anyone is illness.

How old is he? Dementia?

Divorce and he isn't ready to talk about it?

He turned 36 last year. Wife is a few years younger. Both have good jobs, but he makes less money and has a lot more flexibility.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's marital. Wife is a manager at a Big 4 accounting firm with a major, major client that she's responsible for. He's six figures himself, but she's well into that and he always complained about her work schedule. Doesn't explain the disappearance from friends and colleagues (all the rest of us are single), but I could see the frustration boiling over some days.

Old 02-13-2020, 09:27 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,035,430 times
Do you think he could be having an affair and he is so wrapped up with her that he doesn't want to take time away from her to spend with old friends?

You don't have to awkwardly turn down invitations if you just don't respond in the first place.

Old 02-13-2020, 09:37 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,006,450 times
Quote:

...... A mutual friend and former colleague of ours was wanting to host a get-together at his farm south of Indy in a few weeks and tonight asked if I heard from Matt because he couldn't get a hold of him. That's what brought it back in my mind. I haven't and none of our mutual friends have.

I'm just befuddled. He's gone from daily Facebook posts a few years to tapering off to nothing. No kids that I know of. Wife has a big job, but no one ever responds. .....

Did you or your other mutual friends check obituaries to see if he and/or his wife are still alive? Or check his or his wife's places of employment to find out if they still work there?

Old 02-13-2020, 09:39 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,575,400 times
Maybe he lost interest in the friendship with you. Or it could be marriage difficulties or other types of difficulties.

Sometimes friendships, just like romantic relationships, run their course, and are not meant to continue.

Or he has lost interest in the activities that previously interested him.

Old 02-13-2020, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Did you or your other mutual friends check obituaries to see if he and/or his wife are still alive? Or check his or his wife's places of employment to find out if they still work there?

The husband-in-law is a damn sheriff. If anything happened to him, it would be plastered all over the local news. I read it daily.

I should contact our old boss. I owe him a few. He's been good to me. Last I heard, he is also my friend's boss.

Old 02-13-2020, 11:56 PM

1,350 posts, read 818,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
One of my best friends was originally a coworker where I lived at the time in Indianapolis. At that point, we obviously saw each other every day. We worked together for about two years, then I found another job, and about six months after that, left that city to go back to my hometown. This was back between 2014-2016. He seemed a little ticked when I left the job and then left a town in a hurry, but I was likely to be fired and financially up against it. I didn't have much time or money. At that point, we were close enough to have keys to each other's house. He had me get a nearly $10,000 engagement ring from a jeweler before he proposed so his fiance wouldn't find it. Close stuff.

I went back to Indianapolis from Tennessee (420 miles) probably four to five times a year the first two years I was back here. I did a long weekend for his wedding back in 2017. I think I did my best coming up there to try and keep the friendship going. Nothing seemed "off" until back in 2019.

Keep in mind this is a guy that was on Facebook often and you could almost always hit him up on Messenger. His last Facebook post that he posted was a picture of him and his late father back in August. His wife and a few other people tagged him in a few things here or there.

I normally come up for a few Colts or Pacers games. No response on Messenger. The messages are delivered but never read. I've called - straight to VM. Texted - iMessages shows as delivered, but never a reply. Wife never responded.

A mutual friend and former colleague of ours was wanting to host a get-together at his farm south of Indy in a few weeks and tonight asked if I heard from Matt because he couldn't get a hold of him. That's what brought it back in my mind. I haven't and none of our mutual friends have.

I'm just befuddled. He's gone from daily Facebook posts a few years to tapering off to nothing. No kids that I know of. Wife has a big job, but no one ever responds.
Am I correct to read that you haven't seen or heard anything from him, or about him, since the Facebook post last August?

My first thought was maybe he passed away, but as you said, the sheriff would have announced it. So my second guess is he is depressed.... you did say the last post was of his late father.... and depressed people could definitely shy away from their social media.

Since you are/were such good friends, can you contact someone from his family, a person that you feel comfortable with, saying that - 'You were just concerned because you have sent Matt a few messages and had not heard back in several months and so you were just wondering if he was okay?'

Old 02-14-2020, 12:00 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,616,686 times
To the OP this sounds very strange.
If it was only you then you can consider avoidance but multiple people who know him have had no contact so far?
Hmmm...

Old 02-14-2020, 12:07 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,575,400 times
I was thinking he might be depressed too.

Or not feeling in good shape mentally so he is avoiding communication.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships