Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2020, 10:38 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,301,772 times

Advertisements

If they're asking that cause of the color of your skin, then yes that's offensive/rude.

If they ask that cause you might have an accent of some kind, then that's not offensive at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2020, 10:41 AM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
If you have an accent, get used to being asked.

Old 02-15-2020, 10:44 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,362,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaliya View Post
Fro example when I become an American citizen and if someone asks me where I am from, I will say I am from USA. But if that person starts to dig deep and begins to ask where I am originally from, I think that would be rude or offensive because it means that this person does not believe in me. Right?
That's kind of language semantics, though. When someone asks where you're from, they usually asking where were you born or where did you grow up. If you're a naturalized citizen, you wouldn't be wrong to say, "I was born in X, but I've lived in the US for # years." I've lived in the city I live in for almost 20 years, but when people ask me where I'm from, I still say, "I grew up in Hometown."

Old 02-15-2020, 10:45 AM

3,354 posts, read 1,182,679 times
I would rather someone ask me where I am from than assume where I am from - as well as those who seem to accept no other answers than what they believe at first sight.

Old 02-15-2020, 11:14 AM

3,262 posts, read 4,997,171 times
Here in Florida, most people I meet have come to FL from somewhere else. Maybe somewhere else in the US, maybe from another country altogether. It seems to be part of the culture here to ask, when getting to know someone, "Where are you from originally?" It adds another dimension to the person that you didn't know before.

OP, if you're afraid people will judge you negatively because you're from Turkey, I can assure you that isn't what usually happens. Usually you'll be the first person from Turkey the other person has met, they probably couldn't find it on a map of the world, and they don't have any preconceived notions for or against Turkey.

And if they ask you that question, you can feel free to ask it of them in return.

Old 02-15-2020, 11:58 AM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Fro example when I become an American citizen and if someone asks me where I am from, I will say I am from USA. But if that person starts to dig deep and begins to ask where I am originally from, I think that would be rude or offensive because it means that this person does not believe in me. Right?
Wrong. It usually means that person wants to understand and appreciate you as a whole person. Would you prefer that they stereotype you and make erroneous assumptions about you instead?

Old 02-15-2020, 12:04 PM

11,443 posts, read 625,059 times
Who cares where someone is originally from??

I mean why would it be offensive to ask?? -- For petes sake.......

I guess in todays world ANYTHING CAN BE offensive and probably is!

Last edited by ambers72; 02-15-2020 at 01:15 PM..

Old 02-15-2020, 12:23 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
It is not rude, I get asked this sometimes even though I was born and raised in the US. Most of my family are immigrants, they get asked this, they and myself also ask this of others out of curiosity, especially if we think they may be from the same country/region. It is being friendly.

Can it be rude? Well of course, about anything can be rude depending on how it is phrased and context.

But if you are from the UK and rocking an English accent for example, and someone asks where you are from and you say "the USA", you sound like an obnoxious idiot in my opinion.

And if you think foreigners are the only ones who get asked this, not at all, those with strong US region/local accents, Boston, Bronx, The South, etc, get asked this also.

Old 02-15-2020, 12:30 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:

A person asking doesn't believe in you? What a strange assumption. The person asking is curious, attempting to get to know you better, trying to pinpoint an accent, making small talk, or just trying to kill time. It's neither offensive nor rude.

Unless you want to be one of those people nobody wants to be around because they feel like they're constantly walking on eggshells, I would give others the benefit of the doubt and assume they have good intentions.

Old 02-15-2020, 12:31 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Just recently, someone I just met told me that she could tell from my accent that I was not from around here, and where was I from? I live in the American PNW now, having spent most of my life in the lower Midwest. This person went on to volunteer that she was from an Eastern part of the country.

If I were getting to know you, I would probably let you tell me where you “are from” but many people will simply ask. IMO it is rude to ask minor acquaintances this, but with friendship or if in a work relationship, it is understandable. Simply say Turkey, or if you want, specify the city in Turkey.

Asking where someone is “from” is pretty standard conversational stuff in the US. Many of us have moved from some other place. In that way, you are pretty typical.

I agree that you should not be defensive.

Congrats on achieving citizenship!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships