Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2020, 05:13 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,267,717 times

Advertisements

As far as I understand it, if children arrive in a country up to the age of about 12, they will generally learn English with the local accent. Beyond that they will tend to have a "foreign" accent to some extent unless they make a concerted effort to change it, eg by attending speech therapy. I believe it is because of the rate of development of the vocal chords.

In Australia the accent is remarkably uniform across the country and the main difference is a somewhat broader accent in some country areas. So a person with a different accent certainly stands out. One of my best friends is American, with an English husband, and has lived here for about forty years. To my ears she still sounds American and is often asked where she is from. Fortunately she is not bothered by the question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2020, 06:40 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,568,033 times
No, I don’t think it’s rude. People in the US have regional accents. I am in Chicagoland and am originally from Florida. The other Floridian (who lived there from the time he started elementary school until he got this job) has a distinct NY accent. I asked him where he was from originally, but obviously when you move to FL age age 6, you should adopt the local accent. I can only assume he was in a community with lots of other transplanted NYers and maintained that accent.

In contrast, I had a supervisor (was in FL at the time) who moved to the US from Jamaica at 14 and she had no noticeable accent whatsoever. She was only about 30 at the time. I have a friend who is from Iraq who moved to the US at the same age and I think she went to undergrad/grad school in Miami and has a Miami accent. We talked about it once and she told me that people always mentioned her Miami accent and she thought it was funny.

At any rate, I wouldn’t take it as an offense. People in the US are mobile and there are tons of different regional dialects and accents. Even in the UK they have lots of different accents, and I am sure there people ask where others are from.

Old 02-16-2020, 08:24 AM

11,902 posts, read 8,221,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post

It's all so one-sided.
All the above eventually causes heightened sensitivity for anyone with a pulse.
But it's not one-sided. Every group that has come to this country in waves has experienced the same trial period of adjustment. My people were called "Dumb Swedes" (and they weren't even Swedish!)

It's tough to move to a new culture. Sometimes I think about what they must have gone through. But you aren't being singled out. What you are experiencing is typical of human behavior, the new kid in school phenomenon.

Some groups just go about their business and in a generation or two the edges are smoothed as they prove they fit in. I've seen this play out all my life. That's also human behavior.

Old 02-16-2020, 08:56 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,451,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Usually when people ask me where I’m from I tell them which state but then qualify it by saying “but originally I’m from the UK”.

As for the person asking “not believing in you” I agree , that’s the weirdest assumption I’ve ever heard in relation to such a question of origin. I’m just curious why the op would think that.
I often start the question out with, 'I love your accent - where are you from?' Or 'You're not from Chicago, where are you from originally?'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaliya View Post
but why do people except me not to have an accent when speaking in English? English is not even an official language of USA
It doesn't matter if you speak English or that it isn't our official language (side note - it should be). We ask fellow native Americans where they're from all the time because people from Alabama, NY, Tennessee, Minnesota, Chicago, Texas, Vermont - all sound different.

It seems you're making excuses because you want to be annoyed and offended.

Old 02-16-2020, 08:58 AM

18,757 posts, read 27,181,960 times
I am tired of answering that question, no matter how friendly it is.

Most of the time it leads to a political "conversation" and I wish none of it.
"just for conversation" people may be very inquisitive and persistent.

After almost 30 years here and being citizen for over 10, I simply say I am from Black Diamond. Followed by accent question, I go - Everyone in Black Diamond speaks like this. Americans are either gullible enough to swallow it or, "get it" and stop. Those who keep asking, I simply say - Sorry, I do not discuss this.

Better than hearing lengthy propaganda opinions about those countries.

Old 02-16-2020, 09:34 AM

6,768 posts, read 11,394,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I am tired of answering that question, no matter how friendly it is.

Most of the time it leads to a political "conversation" and I wish none of it.
"just for conversation" people may be very inquisitive and persistent.

After almost 30 years here and being citizen for over 10, I simply say I am from Black Diamond. Followed by accent question, I go - Everyone in Black Diamond speaks like this. Americans are either gullible enough to swallow it or, "get it" and stop. Those who keep asking, I simply say - Sorry, I do not discuss this.

Better than hearing lengthy propaganda opinions about those countries.
It’s generally considered impolite to discuss politics or religion with strangers or even casual acquaintances. Sometimes when I’m being goaded into discussing politics I’ll just say “You say tomato, I say to-mah-toe” or “Let’s agree to disagree” and change the subject.

Old 02-16-2020, 09:52 AM

13,254 posts, read 8,325,549 times
No matter where I reside in this huge world , the data will always be true where I was born and raised. Having a humble pride in ones Homeland is not an offense.

The OP is finding the endless inquiry intrusive . Which begs to conclude their humble Homeland pride is not embedded in their hearts. Some folks have distain for their country...I somewhat feel that way about this land of the free. Pollution,killings,lying leaders , anarchy,greed.

Old 02-16-2020, 10:06 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,261,753 times
Context is everything.

Old 02-16-2020, 10:18 AM

102,055 posts, read 106,836,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
I get asked that question most workdays, sometimes even several times in a single day. I was flattered by the interest, at first. Now I find it a bit offensive and really annoying. I know some people will say it's just a conversation starter, etc etc. and I guess it usually is partially true. Years spent in the USA have taught me that race and ethnicity is a big deal, and people will ask that question, even without meaning to do so, to find out your pedigree, put you inside a box, attempt to explain and predict what you do, who you are, and how they will interact with you, and just basically to figure you out. When they interact with you, they don't just deal with you, but with all your fellow country people. You stop being an individual.
When I get asked, I politely attempt to switch the conversation.
This is an interesting point. I'm wondering, if you've noticed, that when you do answer the question, if there's a subtle change in how they interact with you. IOW, have you found your theory to be true, and to have real repercussions for you? (I'm not questioning, that your theory is valid, only wondering if there are adverse effects for you, personally.)

Honestly, I find that most of the time, I can identify an accent without asking someone where they're from. But I grew up around people speaking with foreign accents, so it's normal to me.

Old 02-16-2020, 11:30 AM

6,432 posts, read 7,718,985 times
If you find that a rude question then you are the one with the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships