Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2020, 06:40 PM

102 posts, read 46,468 times

Advertisements

I’m not looking to make friends at work. I’ve long given up on that. However, I try to inject a little slice of life into work but no one reciprocates. I initiate conversation about life or work just to make things slightly more personable. People never initiate or barely try to carry on any sort of conversation. Am I wrong to make work a little more than just you go do this for me, thank you for doing that being the only thing to say to someone? Or is work just go do your stuff and go home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2020, 08:52 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyupsidedown19 View Post
I’m not looking to make friends at work. I’ve long given up on that. However, I try to inject a little slice of life into work but no one reciprocates. I initiate conversation about life or work just to make things slightly more personable. People never initiate or barely try to carry on any sort of conversation. Am I wrong to make work a little more than just you go do this for me, thank you for doing that being the only thing to say to someone? Or is work just go do your stuff and go home?
What kind of workplace is it? What do you all do there?

Old 02-20-2020, 08:57 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,535,359 times
Are they like this with each other? Or is it just when they're interacting with you? You're not wrong to try to make work something a little more interesting, but if your coworkers aren't responsive, just let it be and don't push it further. Every workplace is different. Usually, at least in my experience, there will usually be those that are more extroverted and those more introverted and you click with some but not with others. I'd say it's kind of unusual to have everyone not want to talk but I wouldn't push it. Maybe it's just a workplace full of introverts. Just by looking at some of the threads in the "Work and Employment" forum, and you might realize you actually don't have it that bad.

Old 02-20-2020, 10:07 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Maybe they prefer to get work done? I've read that Germans working in the US are astonished at how much time is wasted at work socializing, chatting while working, hanging out in the break room, etc. In Germany, everyone's busy working. That famous German efficiency. They get better benefits and vacations than Americans do, generally, too, so it pays off for them to stay focussed on their work, and give it their all.

IDK, OP. More info needed, I guess.

Old 02-21-2020, 06:22 AM

It’s a large corporation. But people spread out remote or in different offices across the country. As for what others do it’s really hard to tell. Maybe people just want to get work done.

Old 02-21-2020, 09:53 AM

21,149 posts, read 19,736,448 times
If you can get them to look up from their “smart” phones, you have accomplished more than me.

Old 02-21-2020, 10:15 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,522,693 times
Most of the time, I wish I could get my colleagues to shut up.

Old 02-21-2020, 10:35 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,032,233 times
Could be a lot of reasons.

Are you new to this company, and did you have to relocate for the job? I've found that some parts of the country are way more disposed to friendly chit chat than others. For instance, NYC tax collectors are NOT chit chatty at all. And they will tell you they don't have time for that, and to get to the point. Or, to call back when you know what you're talking about.

Tax collectors in Minnesota are the extreme opposite however. They always have time for a bit of chit chat and always friendly. Kind of like talking to your favorite aunt or uncle.

Have you replaced a person that was widely liked? Sometimes, even though it wasn't your fault at all, people resent that you replaced someone that everyone liked.

Is there a large turn-over at your location? If there is, a lot of times people tend to become reserved, and they're slow to warm up to someone because why bother getting invested? They're just going to leave anyway.

Old 02-21-2020, 10:49 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,602,397 times
Do you have an office with a door? Are you in cubicle land or in an open office environment? I was in an office for 15 years. But due to growth, I had to move into cubicle land near co-workers who have job duties that require a lot more talking (phone, in person). I wear earbuds often. It doesn't help that I am noise sensitive & am more easily annoyed by unnecessary noise than most others. The noise makes it hard to concentrate & get my work done. My anxiety is high at work.

Old 02-21-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Most of the time, I wish I could get my colleagues to shut up.
Well I think we are definitely at opposite ends of the spectrum in situation. I think I’d need a crowbar to open someone’s mouth.

No one shows any initiative too. I was supposed to hear from someone who was gonna help me out with something. Two days hear nothing. Ask when they get in Thursday as our schedules clashed to meet up. No response. Send him an email asking for help. Oh he says let’s discuss in 15 minutes I call him and doesn’t pick up.

We’re implementing a new process this quarter. Not one person volunteered to say I’ll do x to help get the process moving. They all know what they’re role is - I shouldn’t need to give everyone instructions on how to do their job which they already know how to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships