Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2020, 03:00 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tottsieanna View Post
Congratulations for taking steps in overcoming your anxiety and the more you overcome the more you will overcome. You are going to college, started working and learning to drive and when you get your license that will give you more freedom and confidence in yourself.

I believe maybe your dad was and is concerned for you socially and for your future and doesn’t know how to help you.
Agree. It is telling that he said he wanted to go to counseling sessions WITH you. He is concerned and wants to understand. Also sounds like a good way to learn better ways to support you and help you succeed OP. Endlessly coddling you isn't going to be helpful.

Your dad is a product of his upbringing just like anyone else. You didn't say anything about that so no one here knows. It is bound to be reflected in how he sees his responsibilities for HIS children. He doesn't sound like an ogre at all. He sounds worried and frustrated for you. He isn't a counselor, doesn't know what to do. For many people that results in anger. Because of your self-admitted anxiety you are interpreting this as just being mean. Its not. As others have said, you aren't going to change him, but you can learn to appreciate his POV and not see everything as an attack.

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-16-2020 at 03:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2020, 03:05 PM

599 posts, read 262,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I’ve encountered a lot of young people online who say they suffer from social anxiety. It has surprised and perplexed me as I never encountered it growing up. I admit I don’t understand why people feel socially anxious but then emotions don’t have to be rational. They just are.
I agree. I believe this is a product of social media, society and learned helplessness. I tend to feel anxious and get anxiety but I push through it because there isn't anyone there to make it easier or pay my way. I feel like children and young adults are not prepared for the real world of hard work, tenacity and grit.

Old 02-16-2020, 03:09 PM

746 posts, read 1,324,016 times
Your anxiety is 100 percent from your dad. He is afraid of you going to a therapist because of what might come out about him. Do you recall him ever physically touching, threatening, or abusing you in other ways as a child?

What part does your mother play in this, i.e. can you talk with her, or does she parrot and enable your dad? I'm guessing the latter. How is your relationship with your brother, and how does he get along with your dad? Were you the first born? Maybe your dad is jealous of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty99 View Post
Be firm and communicate how you need to be treated.

If you feel like he isn't responding maybe you need to limit your interaction until you get the help you need.
I agree with this. Your dad is NOT in your corner and he wants you to fail. You need to forge your own path, increase your boundaries and standards, especially around him. Moving out would be a big plus for you, as soon as you can afford to do it. Then you'll be in a better position to evaluate your past, your present, and what you want to do in the future.

Old 02-16-2020, 03:42 PM

230 posts, read 215,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlvs2run View Post
Your anxiety is 100 percent from your dad. He is afraid of you going to a therapist because of what might come out about him. Do you recall him ever physically touching, threatening, or abusing you in other ways as a child?

What part does your mother play in this, i.e. can you talk with her, or does she parrot and enable your dad? I'm guessing the latter. How is your relationship with your brother, and how does he get along with your dad? Were you the first born? Maybe your dad is jealous of you.

I agree with this. Your dad is NOT in your corner and he wants you to fail. You need to forge your own path, increase your boundaries and standards, especially around him. Moving out would be a big plus for you, as soon as you can afford to do it. Then you'll be in a better position to evaluate your past, your present, and what you want to do in the future.
This is exactly why I believe he wanted to come to therapy with me. I believe that he is aware that he contributes to my problems, and wants to be there so I can't talk badly about him.

I don't really recall him being really toxic in my childhood. The toxicity really didn't start as far as I remember until I got to my teens.

My mother is 50/50. Sometimes she sticks up for me, but other times she does enable his behavior. I can't really talk to her about him because I know she is going to go right back to him and tell him everything I told her.

My brother and I don't have the best relationship. He is actually my Dad's best buddy. Him and my father have similar personalities and commonalities and they have a good relationship.

I am the youngest in my family.

Old 02-16-2020, 03:46 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,955,058 times
With all the advice given, this is the only thing you responded to? Something that blames your Dad for your problems? Good luck. Good luck to your parents too. Until birds get thrown out of the nest they don't learn to fly. It's a law of nature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCT2019 View Post
This is exactly why I believe he wanted to come to therapy with me. I believe that he is aware that he contributes to my problems, and wants to be there so I can't talk badly about him.

I don't really recall him being really toxic in my childhood. The toxicity really didn't start as far as I remember until I got to my teens.

My mother is 50/50. Sometimes she sticks up for me, but other times she does enable his behavior. I can't really talk to her about him because I know she is going to go right back to him and tell him everything I told her.

My brother and I don't have the best relationship. He is actually my Dad's best buddy. Him and my father have similar personalities and commonalities and they have a good relationship.

Old 02-16-2020, 03:54 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
Well done on getting a job, & keeping it. I hope you can find a new place to live. Keep going to therapy, without your Dad, you need to be able to speak freely.

Old 02-16-2020, 03:55 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,212,304 times
Good mental health can be achieved by a variety of means, none of which include blaming your Dad! You may be suffering from a grain allergy. Try reading up on the grain/brain connection. Here is one link to a study that is called “Bread and other Edible Agents of Mental Disease”.

“If wheat can affect the brain, it should come as no surprise that it can affect mental health too (for a review, see Jackson et al., 2012a). Exceptionally large epidemiological studies, each involving many thousands of patients, have found that celiac disease is associated with an increased risk of depression (Ludvigsson et al., 2007b) and psychosis (Ludvigsson et al., 2007a).”
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...3/#!po=24.0385

Old 02-16-2020, 04:00 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCT2019 View Post

Oh boy, you believe this because it fits your narrative! Reinforces that you are helpless, a victim of everyone else. Because that removes responsibility for yourself. Its convenient, comfortable. But it isn't going to help you recognize what you yourself have contributed to your situation. Are your Dad or your mom completely blameless? Obviously not or you wouldn't be the person you are.

Old 02-16-2020, 04:11 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Family counseling can be helpful. Discuss it with your therapist, who may recommend separate group counseling from your therapy sessions.

Old 02-16-2020, 04:13 PM

230 posts, read 215,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Oh boy, you believe this because it fits your narrative! Reinforces that you are helpless, a victim of everyone else. Because that removes responsibility for yourself. Its convenient, comfortable. But it isn't going to help you recognize what you yourself have contributed to your situation. Are your Dad or your mom completely blameless? Obviously not or you wouldn't be the person you are.
I understand my faults as well which I have detailed in my post. I have allowed fear to hold me back for a long time, but now I have been trying to face my fears and make changes to my life for the better. I am not proud of my past and I regret that I did not start doing these things sooner, but I can't go back in time and undo what I've done.

I understand my Dad being hard on me when I wasn't working, socializing, etc. He didn't know I was suffering with anxiety.

Now that I have opened up about it, started therapy, began working full-time, working on getting my license, and trying to make an effort to interact with other people, I thought he would be less harsh with me.

However, not much has changed in his behavior which led me to ask you guys, is there something I am still doing wrong or is it my Dad that's the problem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships