Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2020, 12:41 PM

795 posts, read 482,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
It wasn't "controversial" or "political"; it was on the level of "don't you hate it when such and such happens" (example) and the reply was "I never have that problem" (example).

Okay, I just saw you post this. What I mentioned last post doesn't apply to this scenario, so I apologize for my ramblings of the evils of social media.

This person MAY just be trying to relate to you, albeit with an opposing view, or to converse in a disagreeable way. Or they could be trying to stay "relevant" in 'socialmedialand' by posting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2020, 01:06 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
I have a good Facebook friend who's brother often takes a contrary tone to what his sister posts. My friend and I....we love puns, and most of our interactions are regarding puns. One time, the brother said something kind of rude, and I said something back in a light-hearted smart aleck way, but his response to that was to kind of double down.

I could've continued. Frankly, I think I could've run circles around him...but why put my friend, his sister, in the middle of that? Eh. I quit responding to him. Maybe he was having a bad day, maybe he always challenges his sister, maybe he's jealous of her...I don't know. At any rate...even though I could've, and even though I kind of wanted to, I didn't stir the pot. Let my friend deal with her brother as she sees fit. I was out. lol

Old 04-29-2020, 01:10 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
Quote:
It wasn't "controversial" or "political"; it was on the level of "don't you hate it when such and such happens" (example) and the reply was "I never have that problem" (example).
I'm not on FB or Twitter, but I'd be tempted to respond with, 'Then this doesn't apply to you. Anyone else?'

Why do some people feel the need to respond to EVERYTHING? Even on Amazon, you'll be looking through the Q & A's on a product and find people responding with, 'I don't know.' They weren't asking YOU personally - no need to reply!!

Old 04-29-2020, 01:28 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Quote:
I think so, too, in which case that is RUDE.

I guess you have a sort of "damned if you do, damned if you don't" kind of situation there because you probably both think each other is being rude.

I don't do FB so I'm not familiar with how it works. But I think if I did do FB and if it was on my account (my FB page?) and I was encountering such a situation from a respondent I would review their posting history the same way I review post histories on forums. I'd want to review if that person who does the "deflating" has been a repeat offender who is chronically non-supportive of my view points and is always trying to shoot me down. If they're chronic then I would do whatever is done with FB accounts to block that person from being able to read or post any more to my own FB page.

If it's happening on Somebody Else's FB page that I have no control over the content of, then I would just ignore the person who is being the Debbie Downer. The Debbie Downer is Somebody Else's problem to deal with, not mine.

Old 04-29-2020, 01:41 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I guess you have a sort of "damned if you do, damned if you don't" kind of situation there because you probably both think each other is being rude.

I don't do FB so I'm not familiar with how it works. But I think if I did do FB and if it was on my account (my FB page?) and I was encountering such a situation from a respondent I would review their posting history the same way I review post histories on forums. I'd want to review if that person who does the "deflating" has been a repeat offender who is chronically non-supportive of my view points and is always trying to shoot me down. If they're chronic then I would do whatever is done with FB accounts to block that person from being able to read or post any more to my own FB page.

If it's happening on Somebody Else's FB page that I have no control over the content of, then I would just ignore the person who is being the Debbie Downer. The Debbie Downer is Somebody Else's problem to deal with, not mine.

You CAN block someone, but that means you won't see THEIR posts in YOUR feed. That person may still post to your page, unless you unfriend them.

I have a friend who often posts extreme political view points, so I blocked her posts from hitting my feed...but she's still a friend, and if she wants to comment on my page, she's welcome to do so. Oh...and I can go to her page still, if I want to. But I rarely do because I don't want to get upset. LOL I very very rarely post political stuff.

Old 04-29-2020, 01:49 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,028,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
You CAN block someone, but that means you won't see THEIR posts in YOUR feed. That person may still post to your page, unless you unfriend them.

I have a friend who often posts extreme political view points, so I blocked her posts from hitting my feed...but she's still a friend, and if she wants to comment on my page, she's welcome to do so. Oh...and I can go to her page still, if I want to. But I rarely do because I don't want to get upset. LOL I very very rarely post political stuff.
I just unfollowed a cousin, so her posts won't be in my feed. I also changed my privacy settings to "friends except" and then selected her name, so she can't see anything new that I post.

Old 04-29-2020, 06:53 PM

599 posts, read 263,146 times
Quote:
Would you consider it rude for a Facebook "friend" to undercut a post of yours? For instance, let's say you're ranting about something, maybe half in jest, and the comment is "I have never had any problem with that," or "we should emphasize the positive" or some other buzzkill response suggesting that you're overreacting or are being a complainer. Isn't the proper response to just join in the spirit of the rant and play along with it?

The person is question is a repeat offender.
Public posts are open game. If you don't want anyone to comment, don't post it! LOL!!!!!!!! Or you could just unfriend everyone who will give you a buzzkill. You can be the "Trump" of FB. Fire everyone!

Old 04-29-2020, 08:07 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
Quote:
Would you consider it rude for a Facebook "friend" to undercut a post of yours? For instance, let's say you're ranting about something, maybe half in jest, and the comment is "I have never had any problem with that," or "we should emphasize the positive" or some other buzzkill response suggesting that you're overreacting or are being a complainer. Isn't the proper response to just join in the spirit of the rant and play along with it?

The person is question is a repeat offender.
Delete their posts.

That's what I do.

Old 04-29-2020, 09:36 PM

63 posts, read 23,197 times
I think it's crucial to maintain a healthy balance between respect and personal views. Part of being an adult is making a conscious decision as to whether it's okay speak up or stay silent. We do not always need to voice every view we have, or every thought that pops into our head. Sometimes it is best to keep to ourselves while other times, speaking up is appropriate. It all depends on the circumstances, to be honest.
Is this a good friend of yours? Do you have the kind of relationship where it's okay to be direct and honest with each other?

Old 04-30-2020, 10:02 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bootsaremadeforwalking View Post
I think it's crucial to maintain a healthy balance between respect and personal views. Part of being an adult is making a conscious decision as to whether it's okay speak up or stay silent. We do not always need to voice every view we have, or every thought that pops into our head. Sometimes it is best to keep to ourselves while other times, speaking up is appropriate. It all depends on the circumstances, to be honest.
Is this a good friend of yours? Do you have the kind of relationship where it's okay to be direct and honest with each other?
It's not that close a relationship; it's just annoying when you're trying for a little joviality and get "It's just you."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships