Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2020, 03:50 PM

2,867 posts, read 1,539,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues4evr View Post
Well isn’t that what Facebook is?
No, talking about oneself with no real value is not what Facebook is about, at least not for me. I use it for following organizations I like (animal rescues, bands, salon, etc.). I also use it for keeping up with things like when somebody gets a new job, moves, etc. Those things do have value. If somebody had a bad day or something bad happened, that is important to know, too, as a friend. But this is their right to post on their pages, and I can either be supportive and helpful or I can shut up and say nothing. Making their post about their bad day into a theatre for my own life experiences or minimizing their concerns by saying XYZ never bothered me is too rude and narcissistic for me to consider a viable option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2020, 06:02 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,276,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Would you consider it rude for a Facebook "friend" to undercut a post of yours? For instance, let's say you're ranting about something, maybe half in jest, and the comment is "I have never had any problem with that," or "we should emphasize the positive" or some other buzzkill response suggesting that you're overreacting or are being a complainer. Isn't the proper response to just join in the spirit of the rant and play along with it?

The person is question is a repeat offender.

I feel as though, if I'm going to put stuff out there for the world to see, I should not complain when another person replies with his or her own opinion. If you truly think, however, they dislike you and are merely out to upstage you, then, I would either delete the person or place them on an acquaintance list that is restricted. Cause obviously we are not going to get along.

Old 05-01-2020, 08:19 PM

484 posts, read 197,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Would you consider it rude for a Facebook "friend" to undercut a post of yours? For instance, let's say you're ranting about something, maybe half in jest, and the comment is "I have never had any problem with that," or "we should emphasize the positive" or some other buzzkill response suggesting that you're overreacting or are being a complainer. Isn't the proper response to just join in the spirit of the rant and play along with it?

The person is question is a repeat offender.
I have a sister that does this. She annoys me to no end. She follows me around and anytime I comment on anything of anyone else's, she has to add a comment too. Or if I post something, she'll either laugh at me about it or post something obnoxious. I hid my posts from her for a long time and when she figured it out, she got really upset with me. Consequently, I really don't post much on fb anymore. I don't feel free to say what I want.

Old 05-01-2020, 09:09 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,212,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
This reminded me of my son, when he was in like 2nd or 3rd grade. He was soooo contrarian. One time, I was taking him to his piano lesson, and we're driving along, and I say something about the sky being such a pretty blue today.
He tells me something about the sky not actually being blue, and that it's the atmospheric condition of certain rays being blocked...or some such.
And I just thought "Oh good grief! We can't even agree that the sky is blue!" LOL
So how did he outgrow being contrarian? Unfortunately my relatives are too old to outgrow this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
People like that are just simple tiresome. It's like chinese water torture, drip after drip of negativity/having to get the last word all cloaked in a lack of self-awareness of how needlessly contradictory they are.
Exactly. So tiresome. It is the last word syndrome too.

Old 05-07-2020, 09:52 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
I saw a perfect example of this on FB today.

A friend of mine posted a photo of a field near her house that is full of yellow wildflowers (weeds), and her caption said, "Love these springtime wildflowers!"

Another woman commented, "Pretty to look at but farmers do not like them in their fields. Not good pasture for cows."

I mean, yeah, she's right, but it's just not necessary.

Old 05-08-2020, 08:57 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaYa6119 View Post
I have a sister that does this. She annoys me to no end. She follows me around and anytime I comment on anything of anyone else's, she has to add a comment too. Or if I post something, she'll either laugh at me about it or post something obnoxious. I hid my posts from her for a long time and when she figured it out, she got really upset with me. Consequently, I really don't post much on fb anymore. I don't feel free to say what I want.
IMO, so what if sister gets upset. I hope you told her why you did what she did. She can change her behavior, or not. But why should YOU change?

Old 05-16-2020, 07:02 PM

29 posts, read 15,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seija View Post
I cannot STAND when people do that. I deal with them by putting them on the restricted list so they only see my public posts, which are usually cute animal things shared from other pages--nothing anyone could have a contrary or smug opinion about.

I do feel there is some kind of deep psychological need in people like that. Maybe they are the type who have to put others down or attempt to look "wiser" than others to try to make themselves feel better about themselves. Maybe no one listens to them at home so they say stuff like that to be acknowledged and feel like they count. Nonetheless, "repeat offenders" like them are not privy to my "real" posts because I find their comments to be tedious.

That is actually reflecting on your character, not theirs. The real questions are, why do you choose to see it as "undercutting" instead of a friend trying to offer a different perspective, and why are you unable to accept that others are just as entitled to have and share their opinions and experiences as you are?

Old 05-16-2020, 07:03 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,645,470 times
I have a passive-aggressive friend who does that. It does bother me a little bit but I know it's her problem - probably jealousy inspired.

Old 05-16-2020, 07:22 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,243,709 times
People still use facebook?

Old 05-16-2020, 07:29 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrysKrat View Post
That is actually reflecting on your character, not theirs. The real questions are, why do you choose to see it as "undercutting" instead of a friend trying to offer a different perspective, and why are you unable to accept that others are just as entitled to have and share their opinions and experiences as you are?
Nonsense. There's a difference between someone who disagrees on a point from time to time and someone who is always pedantic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships