Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2020, 12:41 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
Oh I just love those last two suggestions about the putting things on the curb and especially the tax refund idea.
I just love me a tax write off.
Thank you very much.

My Mom is a very active person in her mid 80’s.
She is brilliant but forgetful at times.
At her age her friends are passing and always has drops off a load of dead people things that would look great at my house.
We live just a couple miles away.
Yesterday I received another pile of crap.
Thank you Mom but I’m ok.
I now have to deal with that.

I had to cut off my sister in law for just acting to weird.
I mean she is nice And all, has tons of money but she just thinks she knows what’s best for us.
So she is not a problem anymore.

The son is just like a dog.
God I just love him.
For the most part he doesn’t mess with anything.
Keeps to himself.
Is a workaholic but it seems that each time I turn around he is finding a new way to grow weed on our properties.
I just can’t stand weed but it is a lot better than alcohol or the other stuff.

The daughter is a change my **** aholic.
I try as politely as I can but she doesn’t get it or possibly just gives me lip service.
She rents one of the houses on our PNW property and has access to both houses but she seems to think both are hers.
I guess she is my biggest gripe now that the sister in law is out.

I can’t and won’t try fix my Mom because she is well my Mom.
But these kids well my foot will hopefully put an end to that.

They have even openly talked about who gets what properties when the wife and I die.
I like to think I have another 30 years or so left so they didn’t care for my response and they no longer talk about that in front of us.

I guess I let things build up mentally then loose it a bit.
Thanks again.
Andy.
There are many worthy charities you can donate your property to after you've passed. THAT should engender some lively discussions. But you won't be around to hear it.

My father noted the irony of such discussions. Sometimes, those who are counting up their inheritance end up gone first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2020, 12:55 PM

7,103 posts, read 4,531,425 times
What they are doing is disrespectful. It would have only happened to me once. When we had a motor home we had people wanting to borrow it. The answer was no.

Old 05-20-2020, 01:26 PM

11,128 posts, read 9,760,240 times
Yeah none of this stuff will ever happen at my house. Why? Because I would not refrain from telling ANYONE with the gall to rearrange my home exactly what I think of their really rude behavior. It's MY house, not theirs and I will tell them so in very few words. Next time they get uninvited to my home permanently.

Last edited by TheShadow; 05-20-2020 at 01:37 PM..

Old 05-20-2020, 01:32 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
I am just a family guy.
We all went through the hard times and now there are better times.
I won’t deny my kids or siblings any of this.

My kids rent places from me and work hard.
I should be proud.
The thing is I don’t want them re-organizing or re-decorating my house.

Other than an odd rich silver spoon sister-in-law we are good.
Odd but yet good.

On another note,
I now have to disassemble a hydroponic grow room today.

I guess it could be worse.
Andy.
That's great that you feel that way, but they're far less respectful of you and your wishes.

I don't get it. They're adults, aren't they? You tell them don't do X, they shouldn't do X. If my adult children continued to do X (which I cannot imagine), they'd forfeit the right to use my property.

Yes, it could be worse. You could be an even bigger doormat.

Problem solved, I suppose.

Old 05-20-2020, 01:53 PM

11,128 posts, read 9,760,240 times
The thing with family is that you have to 1) let them know what they did was not okay with you, 2) let them know that you won't allow it in YOUR home (when they buy their home you promise not to do the same to them), 3) you need to spell out exactly what the consequences will be if they don't follow the rules, 4) follow through. It's just like when they were little kids. Exactly the same. If you don't set limits, and let them know the consequences, then follow through, they will just run all over you.

I've had to do it with friends that violate house rules. I banned a "friend" from our home because I'd asked him more than once to not use certain racial epithets in my home. I told him he wasn't welcome if he couldn't watch his language and he decided his "freedom of speech" was more important than our friendship. Okay...bye.

Old 05-20-2020, 04:37 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Why would he change the locks on houses they are renting from him?

He has two different problems here. His MIL coming in and redecorating is one thing, but changes his adult kids are making in houses they're paying rent on is a separate issue.

Old 05-20-2020, 05:42 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post

That's not what's happening.

Quote:
This has happened to me several times the last few years and it just drives me nuts.
It’s my adult kids, my sister in-law and even my mom.
They always seem to want to re-do our vacation house and even our primary house.
For some reason, family members are gaining access to his primary home and vacation home and treating it like their own.

I don't understand how they are getting in or what they are doing there.

Old 05-20-2020, 06:00 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post

That's not what's happening.
Yes, it is:

Quote:

My kids rent places from me and work hard.
I should be proud.
The thing is I don’t want them re-organizing or re-decorating my house.
Quote:

The daughter is a change my **** aholic.
I try as politely as I can but she doesn’t get it or possibly just gives me lip service.
She rents one of the houses on our PNW property and has access to both houses but she seems to think both are hers.
I guess she is my biggest gripe now that the sister in law is out.

Old 05-20-2020, 09:55 PM

808 posts, read 541,519 times
I haven't read all the replies, so maybe someone has already said this.
Your peeves are quite understandable.
I think, from your tone of voice, that you probably come from a fairly sane family, and if you just told them, in a matter-of-fact way that you would like them to put the house back in the same condition it was when they moved in, they would probably understand.

They may miss a thing or two at first, but just point out, in a friendly, conversational way, what wasn't put back, and ask them to do it.

No need to wait until you're ready to explode - it is a completely reasonable request, and your family members will probably understand and respect it.

Old 05-20-2020, 11:12 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,216,301 times
I am like this. I have a need to rearrange things. It’s not clear how many homes you have and how many you do or do not live in. I can’t tell you what do with your offenders but I can give you a bit of insight from my life.

I’ve been like this all my life, not kidding. At 3 years old I was appalled at my aunt’s wallpaper and drapery not matching. Every time we moved I would sketch out how things should look, but as a child that never happened. Didn’t dampen my spirits though. As a teen in my sisters home while being a nanny during summers I would constantly rearrange things. My brother in law worked odd shifts which would inevitably lead to him getting up and tripping over things. He was very good natured about it. When I vacation in a rented home I will buy a new shower curtain, rug, sheets and valances if they are not what I like. But I will always put things back to how I found them. Once I even wallpapered the bathroom and took it down, repainted so it look like it was when we left.

It’s just a compulsion I can hardly control. The other night at my daughter's home I resisted rearranging a shelf, but kept looking at it all night long. It’s a comfort issue, it makes me very nervous to be in an environment that is not put together well. Not the worst problem to have in life.

Most of my victims were willing to let me go at it. But I am a design professional and artist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships