Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2020, 09:30 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,621,613 times

Advertisements

I follow this one bear collector on Instagram (and I used to follow her on Facebook once I had it) and over the years, we have become acquaintances. I'm a bear collector too and we both love to travel, so that's how we got to know one another.

Anyway, her birthday was on Sunday and starting two weeks ago, she posted that she was depressed and you know what would cheer her up? Her birthday was coming up and she would like a gift, so she posted her Amazon wish list. I'll admit, I did send her something and I sent her a card as well. I was going to send her a card anyway. I sent her the cheapest thing on her list: Polish dictionary because I thought maybe studying a language she wanted to learn would cheer her up.

She was appreciative and she did thank me. She made multiple posts thanking everyone for their gifts, however, she also made mean spirited posts about "selfish" people who didn't send her anything. Uh, what? Now that I am thinking about it, is this behaviour tacky? Was it tacky to begin with and tacky to the end? Am I being old fashioned?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2020, 09:39 AM

2,145 posts, read 3,061,004 times
Yes, it’s tacky to post a gift wishlist. She’s an adult, yes? Even more tacky/rude/immature is to scold people who don’t buy her gifts. This would be a deal reader for me.

Old 05-20-2020, 09:40 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
I would say it's tacky.

Only children ask for gifts without being prompted.

Old 05-20-2020, 09:42 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Everything you've described is tacky, especially the calling out of those who didn't send her anything.

Old 05-20-2020, 09:48 AM

Alright, I was looking at everything and I thought, "what in the world? You're 31, not 6." Granted, she and her husband bought a house last summer, but still. They had a few house warming parties and everything she posts about how people give them things, I'm just shaking my head.

Next time, I'm not sending anything. It's just tacky.I remember once when I was 11 or 12, I sent my Christmas list to family. My parents got wind of it and they scolded me. "Jess, you don't do that! That is tacky and selfish. Only share your list with us, once it's closer to the holidays or if someone asks you for the list."

Old 05-20-2020, 10:00 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
Alright, I was looking at everything and I thought, "what in the world? You're 31, not 6." Granted, she and her husband bought a house last summer, but still. They had a few house warming parties and everything she posts about how people give them things, I'm just shaking my head.

Next time, I'm not sending anything. It's just tacky.I remember once when I was 11 or 12, I sent my Christmas list to family. My parents got wind of it and they scolded me. "Jess, you don't do that! That is tacky and selfish. Only share your list with us, once it's closer to the holidays or if someone asks you for the list."
When I was 6 yrs old, I had a birthday party. The kind of party that wasn't just family, where I could invite friends.

The day of the party, but before everyone arrived, my mom set me down and told me something like "You never know Sassy, people might not be able to afford a gift. If that happens, you tell them that it's OK, and you're just happy that they could come." It was my first ever 'friends' party, so it was a good lesson to learn. Good thing I learned it, because my mom tested me.

One of my friends came up to me and told me she was sorry, but she couldn't bring me a gift. Sure, I was disappointed, I was 6 yrs old after all. But I remembered what my mom told me, and I told her I was just glad that she was there. Then she smiled, and told me that she DID have a gift, but my mom told her to say that. LOL I passed the test! LOL

Old 05-20-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
When I was 6 yrs old, I had a birthday party. The kind of party that wasn't just family, where I could invite friends.

The day of the party, but before everyone arrived, my mom set me down and told me something like "You never know Sassy, people might not be able to afford a gift. If that happens, you tell them that it's OK, and you're just happy that they could come." It was my first ever 'friends' party, so it was a good lesson to learn. Good thing I learned it, because my mom tested me.

One of my friends came up to me and told me she was sorry, but she couldn't bring me a gift. Sure, I was disappointed, I was 6 yrs old after all. But I remembered what my mom told me, and I told her I was just glad that she was there. Then she smiled, and told me that she DID have a gift, but my mom told her to say that. LOL I passed the test! LOL
That's such an awesome lesson! My grandma and dad taught me that too and I just assumed everyone was taught that at some point. I guess not.

Three weeks ago she sent me a Go Fund Me page. One of her best friend's boyfriends died from COVID-19; the best friend had three kids and couldn't afford a funeral. I did give a little, but I thought that was tacky too. I didn't know the man, but I'm an empath and tend to feel for others. I felt for her best friend. Could be why she sent me the link.

We're in the midst of a pandemic and while I'm still working full-time, I was furloughed from my part-time job. Right now my focus is paying my bills and building my savings. I eventually want to move. A lot of others aren't so lucky, many have been furloughed.

Old 05-20-2020, 10:39 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,441 times
It's beyond tacky. I'm kinda speechless after reading it.

Old 05-20-2020, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
It's beyond tacky. I'm kinda speechless after reading it.
I'm beginning to rethink this acquaintance. She loves to travel and a few times she posted how much debt she and her hubby are in. I'm in debt and I was trying to resolve it while still being able to travel. She, along with her hubby, would jet set to foreign countries and I asked her how she did it. She responded, "Oh, lol. I work and make $50,000/year, then I have a side hustle where I make $100,000/year and hubby is in the same boat."

I'm beginning to think that most likely was a bold face lie, especially since she's asking people for stuff. Don't get me wrong, I love travelling, but I am honest with people. I don't make a lot of money and often just do things in other states, on a shoe string. Nothing fancy, but I have fun. The pandemic has me rethinking things, especially in terms of how I'm going to prioritize money. I'm paying off my debt... but I'm not going to listen to my mom about going out every week and I'm just going to ignore this person's requests. Sheesh.

Old 05-20-2020, 10:48 AM

654 posts, read 364,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
I follow this one bear collector on Instagram (and I used to follow her on Facebook once I had it) and over the years, we have become acquaintances. I'm a bear collector too and we both love to travel, so that's how we got to know one another.

Anyway, her birthday was on Sunday and starting two weeks ago, she posted that she was depressed and you know what would cheer her up? Her birthday was coming up and she would like a gift, so she posted her Amazon wish list. I'll admit, I did send her something and I sent her a card as well. I was going to send her a card anyway. I sent her the cheapest thing on her list: Polish dictionary because I thought maybe studying a language she wanted to learn would cheer her up.

She was appreciative and she did thank me. She made multiple posts thanking everyone for their gifts, however, she also made mean spirited posts about "selfish" people who didn't send her anything. Uh, what? Now that I am thinking about it, is this behaviour tacky? Was it tacky to begin with and tacky to the end? Am I being old fashioned?

She's very tacky. She falls into the category of "who needs friends like that?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships