Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2020, 07:28 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I would be very apprehensive to go into business with this guy. He's already showing you how controlling he is. Go into business with him and in order to maintain his favor, he'll likely make more demands.

And to turn your back on your family name just to gain something would be hurtful to your family I would think.

In my world, this would be a hard no.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
he is not asking for it because he is controlling. It is for the business. He is not an ahole because he gives a not blood related person his whole company. And OP will have a great life for himself and his wife. I find that a great opportunity and would not hesitate much with the name change.
Not controlling my . I wouldn’t hesitate to change my name under other circumstances but I would definitely not give in to this dude and draw the line in the sand on his BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2020, 08:51 AM

6,560 posts, read 8,391,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imba View Post
My father jokes about this and told he could give out one son. He doesn't have a problem with this. My fiancée wants me to take her surname because she will not have problems with change documents. I think I want to take this surname because I really like that and will help me in business.
If it's what you want, OP - then go for it.

Old 05-27-2020, 03:14 PM

10 posts, read 6,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Then, go for it! It sounds like you didn't really need us; you only needed to check with your dad. Congrats, OP!

I didn't suppose my family is so indulgent on my surname change. I don't worry now. I must confess I feel some kind of excitement. I wonder how long until I'll get used to my new surname.

Thanks for the answers.

Old 05-27-2020, 04:16 PM

599 posts, read 263,192 times
Quote:
I didn't suppose my family is so indulgent on my surname change. I don't worry now. I must confess I feel some kind of excitement. I wonder how long until I'll get used to my new surname.

Thanks for the answers.
It sounds like talking to your Dad cleared the way. If you are excited, you must feel like it is the right decision.

Old 05-29-2020, 04:34 PM

10 posts, read 6,972 times
Thanks for your support. I have a wedding next Saturday. I will tell you how I feel with my new surname. It's nice to do something in an unconventional way.

Old 05-29-2020, 07:59 PM

4,042 posts, read 2,711,107 times
Quote:
Thanks for your support. I have a wedding next Saturday. I will tell you how I feel with my new surname. It's nice to do something in an unconventional way.
Best of luck to you OP and congratulations on your marriage!

Old 05-30-2020, 02:54 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,626,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Are some of you so ignorant to mores and norms that are ingrained in people and society that you cannot grasp why families might have a problem with a male changing his name when they have no problem with a female changing hers?
This is what I find to be so amusing, yet kind of sad at the same time. Are people nowadays so unmoored from their cultural underpinnings that they can't even understand why things have been done for so long? When a man and a woman get married, they become "one flesh" (according to the Bible). They become a single family unit. And one of the things that distinguishes a family unit is a shared name. As for why it's the woman who changes her name, the answer is simple: because the male is the head of the household.

Now, I know that lots of people don't agree with that view. And that's fine, it's not mandatory to do it this way. All I'm saying is, this is the reason why women traditionally took their husband's last name. Whether you agree with it or not, is it really all that difficult to understand it? If the OP, or anyone else, wants to do it differently, so be it.

Old 05-30-2020, 07:42 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,652,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It could be, but we don't know that. It could be a practical business decision in part; he wants the business to retain the family name, possibly.

More info needed from the OP.
I know many family businesses that don't have anyone left with the name. They are all relatives but not the same name as the founder. No one cares.

Old 05-30-2020, 09:32 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,580,042 times
Quote:
I'm a 28-year-old man. My future father-in-law wants to leave me with a legacy of his thriving business, but he wants something in return. Why does he want me to take on my fiancée's surname?

Do you WANT to take over the business tho? Did you go to college or do you have your own career?

Why doesn't your bride to be take it over & keep it in the family & she can keep her name?????

Last edited by TashaPosh; 05-30-2020 at 09:51 PM..

Old 06-02-2020, 07:25 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
OP, how much is this "deal" worth? I'd gladly change my surname to "Gates" if Bill came knocking for the right price
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships