Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2020, 12:58 PM

14 posts, read 12,161 times

Advertisements

so about a month ago, my sister passed away unexpectedly.

she left me her checking account, not a huge amount, but still an okay amount. she had a mortgage on her house and my mom is in the process of trying to sell it.

the weird thing is, my mom is asking me to use the money i got to make the mortgage payments on it so it doesn't go into foreclosure. she is saying about 2 payments need to be made on it here pretty soon. i feel like all my life my mom has ambushed me about money, and this scenario is no different, making me foot bills and stuff.

my mom's main defense is she'll pay me back. if that's the case, why even bother making me do it? why make me the middle man? if she's going to "pay me back", she can just pay herself back when the house sells? i don't want the house and i don't plan to take ownership of it in the meantime. instead, just because i got a little bit of money, i have to foot the bill temporarily. but between my mom, my father, and myself, my mom has the least financial burden out of any of us. she hasn't had a mortgage in over 20 years. at best her bills are the yearly property taxes, a car payment/insurance, and living necessites. my mom is very frugal and i know she has money. okay, yes, her and my dad did still have to spend some money on funeral stuff and plots, and etc. but still.

i never know how to win in these situations, i always just get beat into submission because "it's my mom". my mom is an okay person, most of the time, but since she has power over me as my mom she is just trying to strong arm me to pay for stuff for what seems to me like virtually no reason.

i'm just trying to wrap my head around this whole weird situation and not sure what to think properly of it or how to react.

any advice?

Old 05-26-2020, 01:04 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
Assuming when mom goes you get the house that seems ok if it means she gives it to the hari krishnas
Not good

Old 05-26-2020, 01:07 PM

9,979 posts, read 5,677,344 times
Who's the executor of the estate? Who gets the proceeds from the sale of the house?

Since this question is in the "Relationships" forum... what's your relationship with your mom worth to you?

Mod note: Thread moved to Non-romantic Relationships.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 05-26-2020 at 02:14 PM..

Old 05-26-2020, 01:07 PM

2,145 posts, read 3,060,493 times
No is a complete sentence. Every time she brings it up, same response. If she continues, end the phone call or leave.

I’m assuming you’re an adult living on your own.

Old 05-26-2020, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
No is a complete sentence. Every time she brings it up, same response. If she continues, end the phone call or leave.

I’m assuming you’re an adult living on your own.
i am, my dad already hit me with a text asking for 2 checks. those 2 payments plus rent next month is 2300 out the door...while she piddle paddles around with people on the street who are "interested in buying" but have zero money/credit to do so.

i know it seems like i'm fuming, but god.

Old 05-26-2020, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Who's the executor of the estate? Who gets the proceeds from the sale of the house?

Since this question is in the "Relationships" forum... what's your relationship with your mom worth to you?
the only other sub forum that seemed appropriate was other topics, but, since this involves the relationship with my parents (mom, mostly), this seemed more appropriate. Mod note: Thread moved to Non-romantic Relationships.

at any rate, there is no legal executor because there was no will. my mom was just saying the proceeds are just going into some checking account she opened that will have mine and my father's name on it so we can access it easily without issue if anyone dies.

to me, the issue isn't trust here. it's that my mom is easily loaded. so it's very frustrating to me that as a young adult still footing my own bill for everything, that it's always come down to this. my mom will claim tooth and nail she doesn't have the money. or some other absurd claim. and it irritates me to no end. she is still set to get 5 grand from my sister's life insurance from her job to off set funeral costs.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 05-26-2020 at 02:15 PM..

Old 05-26-2020, 01:22 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,722,713 times
What do you mean, she left you "her checking account"? There was no will, so no gift. It seems as if you are supposed to pay off her debt with that. When my daughter died, I did not keep the money in her checking account, I used it to pay her remaining bills.

As far as your sister dying intestate, you will need a lawyer to split any assets remaining with next of kin.

Also, why aren't you using a realtor?

And be sure to look for this thread once it is moved to the Non-romantic Relationships forum.

Old 05-26-2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
What do you mean, she left you "her checking account"? There was no will, so no gift. It seems as if you are supposed to pay off her debt with that. When my daughter died, I did not keep the money in her checking account, I used it to pay her remaining bills.

As far as your sister dying intestate, you will need a lawyer to split any assets remaining with next of kin.

Also, why aren't you using a realtor?

And be sure to look for this thread once it is moved to the Non-romantic Relationships forum.
She named only me as the beneficiary on her checking account. So only I was authorized to do anything with it. Only I could close the account and collect the proceeds.

Old 05-26-2020, 01:27 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post

What do you mean, she left you "her checking account"? There was no will, so no gift. It seems as if you are supposed to pay off her debt with that.
That's what I was thinking too. Seems obvious it wasn't meant to be a windfall but to go toward her debts.

Old 05-26-2020, 01:40 PM

19,626 posts, read 12,218,208 times
Was your mother's name on her deed? Unless you can do transfer on death for deeds in your state she would have to be.
Whoever has control of the house right now should be paying all associated bills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships