Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2020, 01:00 PM

91 posts, read 76,730 times

Advertisements

My in-laws and sometimes my mom keep sending food over that they get from a pantry or church and I'm tired of it. The food is 'bobo' crap that you'd find in a dollar store.

I know they mean well and feel like they're helping us, but we're doing quite well and not in need of anything. It would be better off going to people in real need.

They just take to take ... We don't need a dozen potatoes that are on the cusp. We don't need a full gallon of milk who's expiration date is approaching. I don't want bobo canned vegetables, white bread (although, I do use it for French toast to cajole the wife) spaghetti sauce, refried beans, scalloped potatoes and boxed macaroni and cheese.

My wife will choke it down and not enjoy it just because it's there. My mother-in-law is 93, so I figure it makes her happy to 'help' us. Same with my 78 year old mom.

I don't want to be bothered with any of it.

Should I just start slipping one box in the trash every now and again (it's starting to overwhelm the cabinets) or clear it out all at once and take it to the closest church?

What would you do?

Old 10-30-2020, 01:04 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Smile, say thank you, and then donate it back to the food pantry. If it is faded or at it's expiration date, toss it in the garbage.

Your mom and in-laws are too old to change their behavior. Remind yourself it is because they love you.

Old 10-30-2020, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Smile, say thank you, and then donate it back to the food pantry. If it is faded or at it's expiration date, toss it in the garbage.

Your mom and in-laws are too old to change their behavior. Remind yourself it is because they love you.
I know they do and I'll miss them when they're gone, but I can't understand why they keep taking food they don't need. I get the feeling the church pushes it on them.

If we fall on hard times - bring it - but until then ...

I think that's what I'll do - donate it (I'll have to be sneaky, though). I don't like to waste.

Last edited by Don Sutton; 10-30-2020 at 01:14 PM..

Old 10-30-2020, 01:16 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,077,727 times
My Mom grew up poor in Germany during ww11.
She ALWAYS gives me that kind of food stuff.
The worst is the dead man clothing that she gets from her newly widowed friends.
Just yuk.

At least I can give most of the food to our chickens.
Dead guy clothes go straight to the garbage.

Old 10-30-2020, 01:25 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,983,025 times
What caused your fam members to START this in the 1st place? Something must have made them think that you needed food.

How long has this been going on?

Don't just throw food away that could be going to someone else in real need. You're a grown man who I hope isn't afraid of mommy, you just firmly, but kindly & simply tell her/them that you appreciate it, but you don't need food (anymore) & to please NOT send anymore.

If they don't listen for some odd reason, I'd be firmer & a little tough on them & say something like:

- Did you not hear me the 1st time? I said...
- Why are you not listening to me & respecting what I say?

Old 10-30-2020, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
My Mom grew up poor in Germany during ww11.
She ALWAYS gives me that kind of food stuff.
The worst is the dead man clothing that she gets from her newly widowed friends.
Just yuk.

At least I can give most of the food to our chickens.
Dead guy clothes go straight to the garbage.
LOL! Yeah, my mother-in-law came here poor from a farm in China.

Oh, and I just got a call a little while ago that daughter #1's husband is all excited about a food box he has my wife picking up on her way home from work. Sheesh.

Old 10-30-2020, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
What caused your fam members to START this in the 1st place? Something must have made them think that you needed food.

How long has this been going on?

Don't just throw food away that could be going to someone else in real need. You're a grown man who I hope isn't afraid of mommy, you just firmly, but kindly & simply tell her/them that you appreciate it, but you don't need food (anymore) & to please NOT send anymore.

If they don't listen for some odd reason, I'd be firmer & a little tough on them & say something like:

- Did you not hear me the 1st time? I said...
- Why are you not listening to me & respecting what I say?
Maybe it's my 22 year old car? I don't know, we're not cheap and we don't mooch. We buy what we want/need, when we want/need. They got all freaked out when we recently bought a dryer for $1100 (that's with delivery, taking it apart and set up).

I can tell MY mom 'no,' she still tries, regardless.

I talked to my wife's older sisters (#1 and #2) and they said "Just make the old woman happy." So there's that ... I don't want any bad feelings with a 93 year old Chinese woman who likes me.

Last edited by Don Sutton; 10-30-2020 at 01:46 PM..

Old 10-30-2020, 01:35 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
My elderly friend's DAUGHTER does this to her! The woman makes enough food to feed eight people for herself, her husband, and their teenage daughter, and they are all overweight, so they eat enough for six but still have some left over.

Then when she cleans out her refrigerator, she brings the barely-now-edible leftovers to her mother, who tried for a while to pawn them off on me. Nope, I don't want week-old stuffed cabbage or five-day chicken cutlets any more than you do.

Now she just tosses it in the trash after her daughter leaves.

Old 10-30-2020, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My elderly friend's DAUGHTER does this to her! The woman makes enough food to feed eight people for herself, her husband, and their teenage daughter, and they are all overweight, so they eat enough for six but still have some left over.

Then when she cleans out her refrigerator, she brings the barely-now-edible leftovers to her mother, who tried for a while to pawn them off on me. Nope, I don't want week-old stuffed cabbage or five-day chicken cutlets any more than you do.

Now she just tosses it in the trash after her daughter leaves.
HAHA ... that's something ... people are funny.

I've noticed that a lot of people make/buy way too much food. People whose kids have moved out seem to still buy the same amount. I figure it's a security thing. My wife seems to do this sometimes (two of something when we only need one).

Old 10-30-2020, 01:57 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Sutton View Post
HAHA ... that's something ... people are funny.

I've noticed that a lot of people make/buy way too much food. People whose kids have moved out seem to still buy the same amount. I figure it's a security thing. My wife seems to do this sometimes (two of something when we only need one).
So does that same elderly friend, but with an ulterior motive. Last week she called me and asked me if I wanted a five-pound pack of chicken breasts that her friend who shops for her during COVID had picked up. I live alone, too.

I said, "Why did Sue buy them if you didn't ask her to?"

"Well, I did ask her. They were SUCH a good buy, I couldn't pass it up, and you know the government keeps putting extra money on my EBT card so I told her to get them, but then I realized I already have so many chicken breasts in my freezer, and they don't fit in there."

"Why don't you give them back to Sue? She has a young foster daughter and a grandchild she takes care of."

"Oh, no, she already bought a pack for herself. I thought you might want them."

"OK...I'll take them and break up the pack and put them in my freezer. How much were they?"

Immediate reply: "$7.53."

Ah. So you bought chicken that you didn't need with your COVID-loaded EBT card and now you want to sell them to me for cash. Got it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships