Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2020, 06:55 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJfromVA View Post
For Christmas: Bake a small cake or cupcake and light a candle. Sing Happy Birthday to Jesus. After all, it's suppose to be His birthday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by possibleyou View Post
That's just so sweet, I love it!
I laughed so hard when I read that. It would make a great a scene for a movie script, someone home alone on Christmas baking a single cupcake and then singing Happy Birthday to Jesus. Lmao.

Nothing against Jesus. He would laugh at this too, I'm pretty sure.

Old 12-16-2020, 01:04 PM

16,553 posts, read 10,611,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Being alone for a random day or random days as an adult while being married with children, thereby having a spouse and children, is radically, completely, totally, all-encompassingly different from being alone in the world without being married or partnered, without having kids, and without relatives involved in one's life!! (and perhaps without living parents)

With spending a random day or random days alone while being married or partnered (and sometimes having children), one has the EMOTIONAL SECURITY and EMOTIONAL SUPPORT provided by the spouse/partner and sometimes kids and the marriage. (and emotional support and emotional security sometimes provided by living parents and/or living relatives)

(I realize some of your days 'alone' were before you were married - but you still had a living father as an emotional connection)

No complaining at all, just making observations.
I should have been clearer. When I talked about being alone, I was referring to before I got married. And you're right, I had my father, and I cherished every moment I had with him. But he and I lived almost 1,000 miles apart after I left home for college, and while we typically got together twice a year, that still left a whole lot of lonely nights in-between visits.

That said, I don't think I've ever lacked for emotional support. So my situation is not the same as it is for someone who has no one, neither friends or family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2020, 03:28 PM

223 posts, read 144,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I laughed so hard when I read that. It would make a great a scene for a movie script, someone home alone on Christmas baking a single cupcake and then singing Happy Birthday to Jesus. Lmao.

Nothing against Jesus. He would laugh at this too, I'm pretty sure.
I now do it...and I will do it this year, only I will buy the cupcake instead of baking one.

Old 12-16-2020, 04:23 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
I gather this particular "alone for the holidays" thread is taking a more lighthearted approach to the dilemma?

Blow-up dolls, etc.

But seriously, celebrating Jesus' birth, if Christian, or just generally focusing on the spiritual rather than the secular aspects is one way to find meaning and enjoyment in the day if one is, you know, alone...

Old 12-16-2020, 08:45 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,235,542 times
Will baking brownies for Jesus count???

Old 12-16-2020, 10:22 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
Yes.

"If thou shalt baketh brownies, and if thou shalt taketh thus a portion of them, and thou shalt package them up so as not to destroy the freshness thereof, and if thou shalt transmit them to the dwelling of the Mighty Queen; verily, therefore shalt thou evermore receive blessings."

MQ 8:01

Old 12-16-2020, 10:30 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,676,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
If it's legal in your state, I guess it counts.

Old 12-16-2020, 10:34 PM

It’s just plain brownies haha

Old 12-16-2020, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes.

"If thou shalt baketh brownies, and if thou shalt taketh thus a portion of them, and thou shalt package them up so as not to destroy the freshness thereof, and if thou shalt transmit them to the dwelling of the Mighty Queen; verily, therefore shalt thou evermore receive blessings."

MQ 8:01
Sure !

Old 12-17-2020, 03:52 AM

24,098 posts, read 32,448,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbles76 View Post
I wish I could be alone at Christmas and not do anything at all.
It's pretty easy to arrange for that if you are over 18 and live alone.

What is not easyfor those of us who are parents, is being away from adult children, on this particular year.

We are not all the same, psychologically, and Christmas means different things to different people. While my childhood was not perfect, and my family had some dysfunctional aspects but. in retrospect, we always had happy, elegant, and abundant Christmases, where there were siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins, a grandparent, or a few. Everyone was on their best behavior, didn't discuss politics, past arguments, or controversial issues.

I lost this when my mother passed in my early 20s, and my stepmother's gigantic family barged into our home. I know, my father should have been the gatekeeper and unlike my sisters, I blame him as much as I do her. Sometimes we were invited, other times we were not.

I am not one to grovel for crumbs from the table or feel like an outsider in the house where we all grew up. So, I made Christmas as special as I could for my family, taking many of my cues from my mother. We always invited friends, a couple, or a single person to Christmas friends, other times extended family. Frequently the kids, had a guest or two as they got older.

So, I created new memories to replace the old ones.

This Christmas, with just the two of us, is going to be hard. I am thankful that we have each other, but these months have been tough for those with a more social personality.

On Christmas, I like to really, celebrate. It's hard to do that. Candlelight Service will be on Facebook, for example.

It's easy to tell others to ignore the day or embrace being alone. Being alone can be fine - as long as you have chosen to be alone.

When you haven't chosen it, being alone on a holiday can really suck,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships