Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2021, 12:49 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times

Advertisements

I only call my wife those sorts of nicknames. The one time recently I addressed her by her first name, she turned to me genuinely concerned and said "Is something wrong?"

Other folks? I stay formal. Sir, maam, Mrs, etc.

For people calling me names like that? I don't care. When a waitress calls me "hon", doesn't bother me in the least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2021, 01:00 PM

6,294 posts, read 4,191,093 times
It depends on where, when and who. If it’s a nurse then it’s an endearment meant well and an effort to comfort, if it’s a professional/business situation a big no, if it’s a casual convo with a friend no biggie, but I get the catty comment starting with “sweetie” they get a dose of wrath instantly.

Old 02-25-2021, 01:37 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,431,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina311 View Post
It is usually meant well but it really bugs me. But I want to punch somebody when they say that to me.

"Sweetheart" was the latest one I got from an old high school friend I recently chatted with on Facebook.

It makes me want to barf.
I think it all depends on how it's said. I may be even pickier. Sometimes it's fine, other times it's the enunciation that makes me vom.

Old 02-25-2021, 01:41 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Sometimes a cashier will call me 'honey', or a waitress will call me 'sweetie'. I don't mind.

I have a tenant who runs a print shop, she calls me 'muffin' and I call her 'sweet cheeks'.

Old 02-25-2021, 01:50 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
It doesn't bother me overmuch, although as is the case with many words and phrases, context is everything.
This. How I react or address it depends on who is saying it or under what circumstances. In my profession I tended to interact with lots of men from all walks of life every working day. It was inevitable that some addressed me using some of those terms. Many times, it was simple thoughtless habit, almost unconscious. It wasn't personal at all. Other than the term, they were perfectly civil.

Before coming unglued I had to think about the context and decide whether coming unglued over a word was worth it. Depending on the relationship I could:

a. calmly request that they NOT address me that way. Logical...if I don't tell them I don't like it how would they know?
b. return the "favor" by calling them the same thing in a joking manner. Bantering tit for tat. Message received.
c. ignore it as ranking pretty low on the grand scale of injustices. Aren't there more important things to worry about?
d. internalize it and waste a heck of a lot of energy fuming over it. So it hurts ME more than it hurts anyone else.
e. call them out and raise a stink on the spot. Do I really want a reputation for being a touchy b*&tch?

d and e tended to be the least productive.

Old 02-25-2021, 02:35 PM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
Sounds like someone needs a drink..

Old 02-25-2021, 02:58 PM

433 posts, read 532,153 times
I use "dear" for young women occasionally and "bud" for men. I got into the habit of calling more "mature" women "young lady" primarily because at my age (80) I have problems remembering MY name some days. I guess something that DOES bother my is when someone says "love you" and they don't even know your name and it is the first time you've met. Sort of trivializes the term. If that makes sense?

Old 02-25-2021, 03:03 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,401,997 times
You really need to get over it... I can't imagine getting upset over something like that...

Old 02-25-2021, 03:33 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
I don't think anyone has ever called me any of those names.

Some sleazy old man came up to me in a bookstore once. I was looking at a book and became aware that someone was next to me, and I looked over to see this grinning old goat looking up at me. He said, "Hi, Shorty".

I was just about to fly kick him out of the History section when his wife came around the corner and dragged him away by his arm, so I think he probably wasn't all there.

Old 02-25-2021, 04:06 PM

1,465 posts, read 621,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina311 View Post
It is usually meant well but it really bugs me. But I want to punch somebody when they say that to me.

"Sweetheart" was the latest one I got from an old high school friend I recently chatted with on Facebook.

It makes me want to barf.
I use 'hon' all the time with women I'm interacting with. It's the equivalent of 'man' or 'dude.'

e.g. - "Keep the change, hon." or "Thanks, hon."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships