Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2021, 10:32 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,261,525 times

Advertisements

If you don't want to listen to "Negative" people then stop communicating with them, period. If you feel like someone is negative or draining and/or you don't have the time or patience to listen you probably don't even like them in the first place.

Personal vent: A lot of people that designate others as "Negative" do a lot complaining/venting themselves, it's o.k. for them to do it, but not you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2021, 11:28 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
Yes, my husband is negative. I just tune him out or leave the room.
I married one of them, too.

I think negativism is born of fear. I try to turn his negative statements around to show that not everything is scary or bad.

But some people have impervious negativism armor and there's nothing you can say to get through to them.

Old 04-02-2021, 11:34 PM

946 posts, read 565,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I don't avoid negative people.

It sounds like you are an awfully self-centered person who can't be bothered to talk to anyone unless they cater to you.
I can't pretend to like someone whom I dislike. If that makes me self centered, then yeah guilty.

Old 04-06-2021, 11:02 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
I stay home with my immediate family. Now if I could do without them

Old 04-30-2021, 06:41 AM

307 posts, read 213,932 times
I work with negative/not-so-nice people and avoid them when I can and work with them in a professional way when I need to deal with them. Otherwise, I stay to myself.

Old 05-06-2021, 11:31 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
A, B, and C.

A: Throw up my buffer shields. If I know it is coming, I put up a buffer shield so their negativity doesn't touch my core. On the massively intense side of it, I increase my aura but usually, that is not required and that is fortunate for that take a lot of concentration, energy, and can be rather tiring. No, usually the buffer shield works and I guess I am just stopping their words from getting inside of me.

B: Take a side parallel approach, a line that sounds like it agrees with them but addresses something quite different.

C: Take them out!........No, it's not really that but the two most negative people in my workplace did retire.

But.....you know what they say......"Keep the conversation light, don't bring up religion.".

Old 05-06-2021, 02:12 PM

16,358 posts, read 8,174,665 times
I feel like some people have had difficult lives which is maybe why they are negative. I try to empathize with them if I know it's because their life has been rough.

Old 05-07-2021, 08:01 AM

307 posts, read 213,932 times
Most of the negative people I encounter are at work so I avoid them. If they need to communicate with me for work related purposes, I keep it professional and brief. No chit chat, no sharing of how my day is going, nothing. Sounds rude but it sets the tone and they know not to hang around because I'm not trying to become their BFF.

I also have a few relatives who are negative so I avoid them too. They are quick to criticize and I don't need to hear it so I don't socialize with them either. I've reached a time in my life where I try to cut out negativity and try to find peace. Life is too short to deal with those types of people.

Old 05-07-2021, 11:08 AM

16,358 posts, read 8,174,665 times
Most negative people I encounter are not negative to me or critical or me or my family...they are mostly negative about themselves, their lives or things going on in the world.

Old 05-08-2021, 05:33 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,159,881 times
If the person is being negative about other people, my support is very superficial. If the negativity is about me, I listen and try to separate feelings from observations. If something needs to be taken care of and it was my responsibility to take care of it, I take care of it.

What I often try to evaluate is whether or not the person tends to see the worst in others. You will never please these people unless they get exactly what they want which is impossible. So don't take it personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships