Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2021, 03:32 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,768,103 times

Advertisements

My husband has a male friend who has a provider/caretaker come to his place 5 days a week to assist him with what he cannot do since he qualifies for one due to his medical issues.

The provider is employed by a home health agency.

Whenever my husband goes to his male friend’s place while the provider/caretaker is there, he will say hi to his male friend, and then the provider will say “Aren’t you going to say hi to me too?”

According to my husband, he will say hi to the provider after saying hi to his male friend.

Recently his male friend told me that his provider does not like it when my husband says hi to him first and then to the provider. He also told me that his provider gets offended when my husband does that. According to him his provider is sensitive about that. The 3 of us had a conversation regarding that, and he told both of us that my husband needs to say he to the provider first and then to him whenever he comes to his place whenever the provider is working there so his provider will not get offended.

What is your take on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2021, 03:38 PM

2,145 posts, read 3,058,991 times
That the provider is a PITA. Just to clarify, your husband doesn’t ignore the provider—he just greets his friend first? If that’s the case, yeah, the provider doesn’t understand his/her position in the social hierarchy in this situation.

That said, if it’s important to the friend that things go smoothly with this provider, I’d probably acquiesce. Or I’d limit my visits to times the provider isn’t there.

Old 04-15-2021, 03:44 PM
CE9

36 posts, read 22,851 times
The provider in a business/professional situation. This is not a social situation. The provider is out of line and needs to just be quiet.

However, if the provider is really that essential to have (if it would be a pain to get a replacement), your husband should just use the word "Y'ALL", and thus say hello to everyone at the same time, with two words: "Hi y'all!"

Old 04-15-2021, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
That the provider is a PITA. Just to clarify, your husband doesn’t ignore the provider—he just greets his friend first? If that’s the case, yeah, the provider doesn’t understand his/her position in the social hierarchy in this situation.

That said, if it’s important to the friend that things go smoothly with this provider, I’d probably acquiesce. Or I’d limit my visits to times the provider isn’t there.
My husband does not ignore the provider.

Old 04-15-2021, 03:47 PM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
That is extremely childish. How old are these people??

Old 04-15-2021, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CE9 View Post
The provider in a business/professional situation. This is not a social situation. The provider is out of line and needs to just be quiet.

However, if the provider is really that essential to have (if it would be a pain to get a replacement), your husband should just use the word "Y'ALL", and thus say hello to everyone at the same time, with two words: "Hi y'all!"
I was also wondering from an employment standpoint

Old 04-15-2021, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
That is extremely childish. How old are these people??
His male friend recently turned 60

The rest of us are in our first fifties

I want to tear my hair out regarding this situation.

Old 04-15-2021, 03:52 PM
CE9

36 posts, read 22,851 times
The friend should not have told your husband that the provider complained.

The friend should have told the provider to lighten up.

Old 04-15-2021, 03:52 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Here's what I would suggest:

Your husband could explain to the provider, that he always greets the homeowner first in any situation, because he (or she) is the host. This is proper etiquette, he could add for further clarification, and then assert that he has no intention of being rude to his friend and long-time neighbor. He could assure the caregiver, that if f he were to visit her in her home, he would say hello to her before greeting anyone else.

That should be enough to take care of the situation.

Good grief!

Old 04-15-2021, 05:17 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snugglegirl05 View Post
My husband has a male friend who has a provider/caretaker come to his place 5 days a week to assist him with what he cannot do since he qualifies for one due to his medical issues.

The provider is employed by a home health agency.

Whenever my husband goes to his male friend’s place while the provider/caretaker is there, he will say hi to his male friend, and then the provider will say “Aren’t you going to say hi to me too?”

According to my husband, he will say hi to the provider after saying hi to his male friend.

Recently his male friend told me that his provider does not like it when my husband says hi to him first and then to the provider. He also told me that his provider gets offended when my husband does that. According to him his provider is sensitive about that. The 3 of us had a conversation regarding that, and he told both of us that my husband needs to say he to the provider first and then to him whenever he comes to his place whenever the provider is working there so his provider will not get offended.

What is your take on this?
He’s hired help.... hired to help, not chat with company. Why would you say hello to him first.. it’s not his house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships