Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2008, 09:55 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,609,273 times

Advertisements

A man born in Britain but taken to America after being adopted as a toddler has tracked down his real parents using MySpace. Leon Bailey spent years trying to find his real parents until he used the social networking site.

Breitbart.tv » British-Born Man Reunites With Family Via MySpace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 05:24 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,426,738 times
Nice story John! Thanks for sharing.

Old 08-30-2008, 06:16 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,494,501 times
such a nice story! you can tell the parents really loved him and never forgot

Old 08-30-2008, 08:56 AM

2,358 posts, read 5,983,321 times
That is a very sweet story. My children (both adopted from Russia) will be given the information to contact their birthmothers when and if they would like to try to locate them. All Russians carry internal passports, so locating Russian citizens is generally fairly easy and I have that information now.

The only thing that took me aback about this story is Breitbart TV's use of the term "real parents" in their written blurb below the video. Yes, his biological parents raised him until he was two, but his adoptive parents are the ones who did the vast majority of the parenting. I'm generally not a PC kind of person (i.e., I'm not usually sensitive about how things are worded,) but this topic affects me directly. My husband and I absolutely feel like the "real" parents to our two children, though we didn't give birth to them. Occasionally people will ask me, "What happened to their real parents?" and I will always ask, "Do you mean their biological parents or do you mean my husband and me?" And, unless there's a reason for them to know, that information is private and I do not divulge it (in the real world.)

By the way, John1960, I'm not blaming you for writing 'real parents.' I see the terminology came from the blurb when you click on the link.

It IS a very, very poignant story.

Finally, I did send a letter to the editors of Breitbart and gave them a link (http://www.adoptivefamilies.com/pdf/...veLanguage.pdf) showing them positive adoption language vs negative adoption language. 'Real parent' is the #1 term listed as 'negative adoption language.' For anybody who thinks I'm going overboard, this affects not only birth and adoptive parents, but especially the children of adoption. We want our children to grow up with a positive sense of self for who they are, where they come from, and who their family is. Raising kids is hard enough, but those of us with adoptive kids have an extra layer of potential issues to deal with. We're just trying to smooth the way for our wonderful kids and make life a little less difficult.

Last edited by cmacf1; 08-30-2008 at 09:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships