Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 07:36 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,228,856 times

Advertisements

This will sound bad, but it's like swallowing a bitter pill for me (and him, he calls it 'brutal'). It's completely obligatory for both of us with certain family members.

But my husband's parents are dysfunctional and so is my family (drunks) so it's difficult for many reasons. I feel like I drag my body over there. This will also sound bad, but I really wish our next move was at a distance where we didn't have to visit so much.

Anyone else? Why or why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 08:36 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,115,483 times
My family has always been pretty close but even more so since my dad passed away. I enjoy going to visit my mom and/or my siblings but it feels kind of empty without my dad there. Christmas feels especially hollow but we do our best to try to make it as pleasant as possible. I just know that we all miss him so much and it's hard to fake like he's not the hugest missing piece of our family gatherings.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:40 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,780 times
I like visiting with my family. My in-laws? Not so much. They are no fun, have nothing to talk about, and never ask us anything about our lives. With them, all we ever talk about is their latest trip or current travel plans. Who cares? Not me.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:44 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGal7 View Post
My family has always been pretty close but even more so since my dad passed away. I enjoy going to visit my mom and/or my siblings but it feels kind of empty without my dad there. Christmas feels especially hollow but we do our best to try to make it as pleasant as possible. I just know that we all miss him so much and it's hard to fake like he's not the hugest missing piece of our family gatherings.
ugh, so sorry top hear that. I could only imagine how strange that must be.,. .

My parents live in Philly and I in Miami, so my parents came down to visit me 2 weeks ago to escape the cold. The first day here my dad eats some salmon dip and gets food poisoning... basically holed up in his hotel room for 2 days.... missing our outings to the beach, restaurants, site-seeing, etc... And u know what? It felt weird not to have my dad on these things? A little emptier? Not to say I didn't enjoy it, but without my Dad there...the energy just seemed off..... So, it got me thinking "jesus christ what if my dad passes soon...this is what it'll be like?" and I got kinda depressed lol.

But back to topic, I do generally enjoy seeing my Mom and dad and siblings. Yes, on occasions it can be annoying, but overall I enjoy it and love them very much.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:54 AM

526 posts, read 898,923 times
DH/I both dread interaction with my family; I really enjoy his family (much more than he does)

Old 03-04-2015, 09:47 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
I only dislike visiting my mom in her assisted living. Her apartment is like a sauna and I sit there sweating, bored out of my skull and trying not to fall asleep (she talks on and on but it's more like droning on and on) until I feel I've been there long enough to leave without feeling guilty.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:11 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,840,114 times
My family loves drama & keeps dragging me into their issues. I moved far away from home & hardly visit them. We have grown apart & don't have much to talk about so we keep it formal. During phone calls I start browsing on my smartphones so I stay distracted. When I visit them I try to stay busy catching up with other relatives & friends so that I don't have a big meltdown that ends up in a fight. Its better to move away. You will get along much better with them.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:33 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,598,343 times
I love visiting my family as long as their young children are well behaved. Otherwise, I avoid it or invite the adults to visit me.

My parents are both deceased, so siblings & the next generations need to stay connected. We have different lifestyles, religious beliefs, incomes, interests, etc. But we are all supportive of one another in good times & bad. I didn't realize what a blessing this was as a child. But as an adult, I've realized how some people don't have this connection/support within their family.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:13 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
Visiting my mother is painful. She wants emotional intimacy, and I just don't trust her that much after a childhood characterized by her constant criticism and unstable behavior. I also as an adult find her frivolous, narrow-minded and willfully ignorant, with a capacity to turn downright nasty without warning. But she DOES love me with all her heart, and she has worked really hard on respecting my boundaries and reaching out, so when I'm in my home state, I try to devote as much time as I can to her. But it's no fun at all. Fortunately, she has some lovely friends, and I get along great with them.

My father (divorced from my mother) is a diagnosed narcissist, but I love visiting him. He too has learned about boundaries over the years (I think my parents both realized they would lose me entirely if they didn't), and he is better than my mother about respecting them. He doesn't push for that emotional intimacy my mother is so frantic to have - we're content to just go out for breakfast and shoot the breeze. He tells me stories about his childhood and his latest crazy escapade (at 83 he is still always getting into trouble), and sometimes his best friend, whom I adore, will join us and the two of them will get to talking about all sorts of stuff.

But on my most recent visit home, I was ridiculously happy when I had breakfast with my two favorite cousins and their families. The three of us are just happy spending time together. It's this weird safe place where we can just be ourselves and not worry about any criticism.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:04 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
I love visiting my husband's family. Mine is awful. I am put down, told how horrible I am and just fight the entire time. It is a chore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships