Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 12:30 PM

860 posts, read 2,210,385 times

Advertisements

Bonds: When Friendships Break Apart - WSJ.com

Linda Lajterman suffered one of the worst experiences of her life while on a cruise with her husband and two other couples. Halfway through the trip, one of her friends stopped talking to her—for good.

Ms. Lajterman says she has no idea what prompted the woman, who was one of her best friends, to cut her off. They helped take care of each other's kids, celebrated family events together and shared confidences. After the cruise, which took place a few years ago, she called her friend and asked for an explanation, but received none. She says she was devastated.

Last edited by yankeegirl313; 03-28-2010 at 01:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 03:37 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,724,758 times
Sounds like a bunch of melodramatic and overly needy people in that article.

Friendships come and go for many different reasons and to me they do seem to have a lifespan in general. I have found in my own experience and seeing others that there will probably only be 2-3 really good friends in your life that stay with you and in contact with through moves and job changes and all the rest.

It is said the human brain can only keep track of 150 people and relationships and I believe that is probably true.

Old 03-28-2010, 03:38 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,270,852 times
How to break up with a friend? Stop loaning him tools, money, gas, food and catering to his unreasonable demands. It may take 2 Years, but they get the hint!

Old 03-28-2010, 03:39 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,850,828 times
Well I've had that happen to me too, and it still bothers me years later. It would have been so much better to have an explanation but when I asked, she offered none. Life goes on, but at least you usually get an explanation when your BF/GF drops you. Also, I've had people drift away and have done so myself--that's a bit easier to take than having someone just suddenly cut you off.

Old 03-28-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Well I've had that happen to me too, and it still bothers me years later. It would have been so much better to have an explanation but when I asked, she offered none. Life goes on, but at least you usually get an explanation when your BF/GF drops you. Also, I've had people drift away and have done so myself--that's a bit easier to take than having someone just suddenly cut you off.
He had plenty of explanations from all the rest of us guys. He just didn't think we would actually do it. The thing that finally broke the camels back was he had about $3,000 worth of our tools which he never intended to return. Come on fellas, we are going to get are s*** back!!!

Old 03-28-2010, 03:45 PM

12,572 posts, read 15,602,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RUGGED4YOU View Post
How to break up with a friend? Stop loaning him tools, money, gas, food and catering to his unreasonable demands. It may take 2 Years, but they get the hint!
lol!

Old 03-28-2010, 03:46 PM

1,741 posts, read 4,583,563 times
Reminds me of Seinfeld!

YouTube - Seinfeld: Breaking Up With A Man

Old 03-28-2010, 03:52 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,533,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I can relate.

Old 03-28-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
lol!
Don't call us when your turd truck leaves your a** sitting again either. We already spent hours upon days rebuilding 2 engines and installing them for you that you blew up hammerhead!!!LMAO.........

Old 03-28-2010, 03:57 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,654,216 times
Sometimes when people are in their teens and are going through all sorts of changes this sort of thing can happen when they lose common interests and go in different directions but it would be troubling to have that happen as an adult especially if it was a close friendship and you didn't have a clue what happened. I haven't had that happen personally but I've seen it happen to people I know and I realize how hurtful that could be. I remember that my uncle who I was very close to growing up tended to hold grudges over unimportant matters and would disown friends or even family if he felt betrayed in some way. He stopped speaking to his own Mother who lived only a block away and didn't once see her for something like 35 years when she passed away. He did the same thing with his own brother and disowned him as well. Then his neighbor who'd been one of his best friends for many years got into an argument about a tool my uncle loaned him which as I recall was a drill and the neighbor kicked the tool across the ground into my uncle's yard and they never spoke again. It's often foolish incidents such as this or imagined betrayals which cause these things to happen which is a shame because it can be such a painful thing to those involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships