Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 10:25 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,437,278 times

Advertisements

I am wondering how to deal with this friend I have who suffers from severe depression. I find myself taking the things she does personally, which may or may not be true. At any rate, I feel like I have to walk on eggshells lest she go off on me. I do try to understand but sometimes I really feel like she uses the depression to be irresponsible, cancel at the last minute or just be rude. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 10:36 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,962,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
I am wondering how to deal with this friend I have who suffers from severe depression. I find myself taking the things she does personally, which may or may not be true. At any rate, I feel like I have to walk on eggshells lest she go off on me. I do try to understand but sometimes I really feel like she uses the depression to be irresponsible, cancel at the last minute or just be rude. Thoughts?

Well, one of the symptoms of depression is loss of intrest in friends and activities that one use to enjoy, so you really shouldn't take it personally. Is your friend seeking help? That would be the biggest issue, as depression can be lessoned with the right therapy.

I would say, assuming your friend is seeing a therapist, that you slack off on planned activities and instead just talk on the phone more. Women especially like to talk when they are depressed. Also, if she snaps and yells, DON'T YELL BACK, as that will only cause her to blame herself for angering you and make her feel worse.

Just talk to her, count on activities with her less, and hopefully, with the right care, she will get better. The definition of friendship is being there when someone needs it, and she needs support and a good ear to listen. If the shoe was on the other foot, and she was a good friend, I am sure she would do the same for you.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:02 PM

Excellent advice, VictorianPunk. You are so correct. This is just what I am going to do. Thank you!

Old 05-27-2008, 11:04 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,962,665 times
Quote:
Excellent advice, VictorianPunk. You are so correct. This is just what I am going to do. Thank you!

Just wondering though...is your friend seeking therapy? If she can't afford it, most major universities that have a graduate psychology program offer free counceling.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:15 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,875,707 times
yaaaaa. Just ignore her.

Quote:

Old 05-27-2008, 11:16 PM

and believe me most of the time the services are terrible and borderline catastrophic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Just wondering though...is your friend seeking therapy? If she can't afford it, most major universities that have a graduate psychology program offer free counceling.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Yes, she is on medication but isn't very good at keeping appts with therapists. She does have insurance. Again, I end up thinking she is using the depression as an excuse, which is probably not fair of me. I just don't cancel Dr. appts at the last minute, as she does. It seems disrespectful to me to not give a therapist or Dr. 24 hours notice - at least.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
yaaaaa. Just ignore her.
You are kidding, right?

Old 05-28-2008, 01:36 PM

169 posts, read 537,501 times
Well....perhaps she is a bit of a physcho B**** sorry but doesn't realize it because most of them don't and therefor until someone physically makes them go to the appointments they won't go because they don't think there is anything wrong with them. those who admit...good for them. Are you sure she is taking her medication? It should help if she really is. If it's not, then she needs something else.

Old 05-28-2008, 02:45 PM

the medication could be making her more psycho
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships