Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2023, 05:53 PM

3,499 posts, read 1,744,714 times

Advertisements

I'm barefoot in the summer and have sandals on in the house in the winter, it's better for your feet to get air to prevent fungus infections, I don't care if guests come to visit with shoes on or ask me to take mine off when visiting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2023, 06:50 PM

1,824 posts, read 794,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Noticeable, unavoidable urine PUDDLES every day? Dude, it’s time to call-out the ‘perp’, lol. It sounds more like our frat house back in the day than a place of employment.
OK, I have to speak up here. I’m a female, degreed professional who had a career crisis & went into a completely different line of work for awhile.

At the time, this was a male-dominated profession & I was the lone female who shared one restroom with about 20 men, & yes, they peed on the floor instead of into the gang urinal. I used the one stall, which wasn’t much better. So, I stand by what ketchikanite & Uconn97 said!

Old 10-20-2023, 09:53 PM

22,149 posts, read 19,198,797 times
shoes off indoors. for everybody. all the time

Old 10-20-2023, 10:21 PM

979 posts, read 538,618 times
I grew up in the Phoenix area so around the house it was typical for me to be clad in only a pair of undies, a pair of basketball shorts and a thin film of sweat (thanks to my cheap ssa mom setting the thermostat at 80d).

I usually dont ask guest to take off their shoes unless it's someone staying over for a few days like relative or long term friend.

Old 10-21-2023, 06:22 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
I have bad feet (degenerative arthritis), and the slightest injury to them can lame me for months. The only time I am ever barefoot is in the shower. I take off my boots and put my house shoes on when I come in the door. I wear shoes to bed as well.

I don't require other people to take off their shoes in my house but I don't have anyone here very often, and only one at a time. My one friend brings her own house shoes, and I bring mine when I go to her house. One other friend always takes her shoes off and goes barefoot or sock feet. (shudder!) Actually I have another friend who does that, too.

Other than those, a visiting friend may keep her shoes on, and I keep my boots on in anyone else's house. I just can't risk injury to my feet. If it's wet, like today, I will bring paper shoe covers to protect their floors until my boots dry.

Service people do not take off their shoes.

I went barefoot whenever possible most of my life, until my feet started going bad in my late 20s.

Last edited by catsmom21; 10-21-2023 at 06:33 AM..

Old 10-21-2023, 07:22 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,107,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
I live in FL and granted it's warm here pretty much year round, so going shoeless is pretty common.
But I'm not really sure how common, especially in other parts of the country.
I leave a few pairs outside my (big) patio entry and when I let folks in they can see I'm in socks or barefoot and usually do the same although I make it clear that it's optional saying feel free to go shoeless, the floors are very clean. Then it's up to them.

But honestly, after visiting Japan I've decided that shoeless should be the norm and not a problem if the host provides simple 'guest slippers'.

What do YOU think?.. and what do you do at your house or as a guest?
We take our shoes off as a rule bc our property is very sandy and we quickly learned it will get tracked all inside the house. Me and the kids take our shoes off at the door also bc we have chickens and step in poop when caring for them inside their run and coop. Visitors from our neighborhood or our specific area do tend to take their shoes off when visiting bc they understand the sand issue and do the same at their house. But most people don’t and it’s alright. I would like them to, but not enough to ask. If I noticed they were tracking something around, I would ask, but that’s not usually the case. I almost always take my shoes off when visiting someone else. It’s easy off and on with flip flops or Crocs, but I do it with sneakers also if I’m going to stay awhile.

Old 10-21-2023, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I have bad feet (degenerative arthritis), and the slightest injury to them can lame me for months. The only time I am ever barefoot is in the shower. I take off my boots and put my house shoes on when I come in the door. I wear shoes to bed as well.

I don't require other people to take off their shoes in my house but I don't have anyone here very often, and only one at a time. My one friend brings her own house shoes, and I bring mine when I go to her house. One other friend always takes her shoes off and goes barefoot or sock feet. (shudder!) Actually I have another friend who does that, too.

Other than those, a visiting friend may keep her shoes on, and I keep my boots on in anyone else's house. I just can't risk injury to my feet. If it's wet, like today, I will bring paper shoe covers to protect their floors until my boots dry.

Service people do not take off their shoes.

I went barefoot whenever possible most of my life, until my feet started going bad in my late 20s.
My grandma has foot issues and brings a pair of house shoes that she doesn’t wear outside. It’s just too uncomfortable for her to go barefoot for any length of time.

Old 10-21-2023, 07:50 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
My grandma has foot issues and brings a pair of house shoes that she doesn’t wear outside. It’s just too uncomfortable for her to go barefoot for any length of time.

I still love the feel of going barefoot. But I can't risk injury. An 8 pound dog stepping on my foot can make me lame for months.

The slightest stub of a toe.

Foot twisting into odd positions in my sleep.

All these can lame me for months. It's just not worth the risk.

Old 10-21-2023, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post

I still love the feel of going barefoot. But I can't risk injury. An 8 pound dog stepping on my foot can make me lame for months.

The slightest stub of a toe.

Foot twisting into odd positions in my sleep.

All these can lame me for months. It's just not worth the risk.
Sounds so uncomfortable. Sorry you have to go through that.

Old 10-21-2023, 08:21 AM

8,659 posts, read 3,853,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
OK, I have to speak up here. I’m a female, degreed professional who had a career crisis & went into a completely different line of work for awhile.

At the time, this was a male-dominated profession & I was the lone female who shared one restroom with about 20 men, & yes, they peed on the floor instead of into the gang urinal. I used the one stall, which wasn’t much better. So, I stand by what ketchikanite & Uconn97 said!
I stand by what I said re: it sounds more like our frat house back in the day (or perhaps a stadium or bar) than a men’s room at a professional place of business where ‘they’ are peeing in puddles on the floor daily - especially if no one is calling anyone out over it. Even then, use a stall as many routinely do anyway (relative to unspoken rules) i.e. leave a gap.

That said, the reason as to why shoes should be removed (per the thread) is not because we stand in noticeable puddles of urine every day (lol), but because of all the things we walk in which can’t be seen (men and women) - particularly relative to our own home where we often sit on chairs or the bed with our feet up. It’s simply more comfortable to be without shoes on (at home) as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships