Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2024, 06:01 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I was thinking of this thread after a conversation with my aunt. I called, it went to voicemail so I left a brief message that I'd called to wish her husband luck on his surgery, she could call me back if she wanted as I was home. She called back in less than 5 minutes, said she was in the bathroom when I called. (why do people feel they have to tell you why they didn't answer?)

However apparently she was still in the bathroom, she had me on speaker and it was all echoes and feedback and I could hear water running. She asked me a question that I tried to answer but then she asked me to repeat myself. I started talking again and she was saying "what? what? I can't hear you with the water running".

I'm impatient at any time being on the phone so asked her what she was doing. She said she was brushing her teeth, she liked to brush her teeth after she had her coffee, which I already knew, because we'd had that conversation once before and I told her it was recommended you wait a half hour after drinking coffee, for the enamel to harden again.

Anyway, my point is, couldn't she have finished her business, washed her hands, brushed her teeth, exited the bathroom and THEN called me?

What is it with people and their obsession over missed calls?

lol
I was just talking about this with a friend. It's the same as people who answer and say they can't talk now or whisper they're in a meeting. If you can't talk DON'T ANSWER THE DAMN PHONE. That's literally why we have voice-mail, text messaging, and missed call notifications.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2024, 07:03 AM

1,914 posts, read 897,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbird View Post
The other day she called while she was running errands. I asked if she was busy and she said no, yet 2 minutes later she asked me to hold as she was at the customer service desk returning items.

It's so bizarre to me the people that just have to talk while they are out doing something. Every time I go into a store I see people walking around on their phones with those earpieces in their ears, just gabbing away, talking gossip. And with the earpieces in you don't know they're not talking to you until you've looked at them, and they give you an angry look. Like back tfu, you're the one being rude having a screaming match with your lover on the phone while you're checking out, and the poor cashier is just trying to move you through the line.

Old 02-14-2024, 07:19 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,580,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I was just talking about this with a friend. It's the same as people who answer and say they can't talk now or whisper they're in a meeting. If you can't talk DON'T ANSWER THE DAMN PHONE. That's literally why we have voice-mail, text messaging, and missed call notifications.

Seriously.

Old 02-14-2024, 07:43 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
What is it with people and their obsession over missed calls?

lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Some of it may come from how things were done prior to cell phones. The assumption was people didn't call unless it was urgent or important. Everything else went paper mail. Therefore if the phone is ringing, it has to be important and it's rude not to answer it quickly.

I think a lot of those habits are still out there, even among some younger people who didn't grow up with a land line phone. There's something about not knowing what the call is about until you answer that creates a sense of urgency to answer the phone.

Old 02-14-2024, 08:35 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,580,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Some of it may come from how things were done prior to cell phones. The assumption was people didn't call unless it was urgent or important. Everything else went paper mail. Therefore if the phone is ringing, it has to be important and it's rude not to answer it quickly.

I think a lot of those habits are still out there, even among some younger people who didn't grow up with a land line phone. There's something about not knowing what the call is about until you answer that creates a sense of urgency to answer the phone.

Nah, I'm not buying it. Then they can listen to the gd voice mail. They don't. They just either pick up when it's not a good time, and say it's not a good time or call back immediately without bothering to check what the call is about.

I know it's here to stay but I detest this cell phone culture we live in now and refuse to participate.

Old 02-14-2024, 10:03 AM

2,182 posts, read 2,321,661 times
When I was a teen one of my aunts would ring our phone 100x (and leave just as many messages) trying to force us to pick up. She was very needy and mom didn't always feel like talking. So one day the same aunt (upset that we weren't answering her calls) sent her bullying husband over to confront my parents for not answering the phone. When my dad invited him in they were talking and made their way into the kitchen. He picked up the phone's receiver and asked my dad, "Why is this unplugged?"

I hadn't told my family that I'd unplugged all the phones (so we could have some peace the evening prior) and had forgotten to plug them back in. My dad yelled upstairs, "Who unplugged the phone?" I came downstairs and confessed. lol

After that my parents told us, "It's up to you if and when you want to answer your phone. You don't have to give an explanation for your decision either. Same goes for that knock at the door." With 24/7 accessibility people assume they are entitled to your attention whether it's convenient or comfortable for you to give it or not.

Old 02-14-2024, 11:35 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,277,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
It's so bizarre to me the people that just have to talk while they are out doing something. Every time I go into a store I see people walking around on their phones with those earpieces in their ears, just gabbing away, talking gossip. And with the earpieces in you don't know they're not talking to you until you've looked at them, and they give you an angry look. Like back tfu, you're the one being rude having a screaming match with your lover on the phone while you're checking out, and the poor cashier is just trying to move you through the line.
I work at a supermarket and see people all the time having a conversation on their cell phone that they could have when they get back in their car. There is one woman that walks in the store with her cell phone up to her ear every time. It could be some of these people have some type of insecurity problem and they need to be talking to someone to feel comfortable walking in public places. Some come in the store with dogs, some with cell phones attached to their ears. I think what bothers me the most is the people that walk in holding a cup of coffee they just bought. They walk around like they're viewing an art exhibit. Drink your coffee before you come in to shop or buy your coffee after you leave the store! You aren't going to die if you don't have something to drink for a half hour.

Getting back to the OP's question....I have a friend that makes her calls when she is in her car also. Depending on the mood I am in, it annoys me because why can't she just wait until she's home. She has had a problem with the car's connection so after a certain amount of time, her voice changes and it sounds like I'm talking to a demon. She is such a wonderful person that I just deal with it. I would never want to go through life without her little annoying habits.

Old 02-14-2024, 11:42 AM

2,182 posts, read 2,321,661 times
Your "art exhibit" comment was so funny, NYLIER. My husband grabs a coffee when we enter the grocery store. And he always finds a few people who welcome his chattiness. I'm the complete opposite, so when I'm alone the regulars just ask for my husband, lol. I agree that putting up with friends is the way to go. I hate the cut-them-out-of-your-life mentality so many have these days.

Old 02-14-2024, 01:21 PM

1,914 posts, read 897,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbird View Post
My husband grabs a coffee when we enter the grocery store. And he always finds a few people who welcome his chattiness.

One of the local Krogers has a Starbucks that also serves draft beer and has a little bar and bistro tables. I never have to worry about him getting lost looking for what he wants. He just tells me and I go get him when I'm ready.

Old 02-14-2024, 09:03 PM

1,870 posts, read 843,254 times
i hate phone, I hate cell phone. I hate talking to a client or supervisor and the phone ring, he will stop everything to answer it. I have gotten to where when they answer the phone, I just walk off, their conversation is more important than what i was saying
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships