Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2023, 12:33 PM

4,546 posts, read 2,268,564 times

Advertisements

When my mother died in August 2022, I got her perfectly cut, slightly more than a half karat diamond engagement ring. My oldest son had gotten engaged in November of 2021 with a beautiful blue sapphire ring. He was my mom's favorite so I asked him if he wanted it to give it to his fiance as her engagement ring. He said that he had hoped that his grandmother would offer it to him when he first decided that he wanted to propose, but she did not make that offer. Nothing I can do about that now. So I offered it up to him but my son's fiance (now wife) said that she wants her sapphire ring as her engagement ring. So I have held on to it since then.

I would really like to pass it on for one of my sons to propose with. I have two other sons. I am thinking of offerring it to the next in line son for when/if he decides to propose. But I am feeling very conflicted. I'm not sure what the right thing to do here is. Should I give it to my oldest son and let him do with it what he wants since his, now wife, already has an engagement ring or should I offer it to the next in line son? I'd like it to be important to someone. I have my grandmother's diamond wedding band as well that I would like to pass on too. I'm trying to figure this out so no one has their feelings hurt.

Help!

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2023, 12:40 PM

22,587 posts, read 47,649,975 times
You offered it to the oldest, and he declined.
Offer it to the next in line.... whichever of the two sons will get engaged next. He may decline it, as might the third son.

It sounds like it is important to YOU, so why not keep it and use it?

Old 11-29-2023, 01:00 PM

14,476 posts, read 12,101,318 times
I do think such things should be used and appreciated, not stored away, so I would think about whether you want to wear it, or have the stones reset on a broach or necklace you would wear, or indeed, if your sons marry, you could offer them each a ring if they like.

The thing about giving it to sons, is if the marriage doesn't work out, she'll keep it. Good to be willing to live with that possibility before offering it.

Old 11-29-2023, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
The thing about giving it to sons, is if the marriage doesn't work out, she'll keep it.

I do think such things should be used and appreciated, not stored away, so I would think about whether you want to wear it, or have the stones reset on a broach you would wear, or indeed, if your sons marry, you could offer them each a ring if they like.

Yeah that has crossed my mind too and there is always a chance that it won't I guess. I hope that it's not the case but you never know now days. Good input!

Old 11-29-2023, 01:15 PM

220 posts, read 116,092 times
Well, your mother had a favorite grandchild and it sounds like you might also have a favorite child. I personally find that rather reprehensible. Headshaker. That said, you'd have to ask yourself if you really care about hurting the feelings of unfavored children. If not, your decision is easy.

Are you asking because you're actually sensitive to hurting the feelings of unfavored children but you are looking for input to hopefully assuage guilt or enable what you'd prefer to do?

Old 11-29-2023, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartM1 View Post
Well, your mother had a favorite grandchild and it sounds like you might also have a favorite child. I personally find that rather reprehensible. Headshaker. That said, you'd have to ask yourself if you really care about hurting the feelings of unfavored children. If not, your decision is easy.

Are you asking because you're actually sensitive to hurting the feelings of unfavored children but you are looking for input to hopefully assuage guilt or enable what you'd prefer to do?

No clue how you got any of that out of my post but you may have some miss-placed sensitivities.

Have a good day.

Old 11-29-2023, 02:00 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Your DIL said she prefers her sapphire ring. Why offer the family diamond to someone who doesn't seem to want it? I'd hold on to the diamond for one of your other sons. If/when any of them get engaged (who knows whether one or more ever will) their fiancés may choose a different ring as well. If it looks as if one of your sons is contemplating marriage, maybe that's the time to suggest the option. No one has a crystal ball about any of this OP. If you give the ring away now, you've left your other sons with nothing. Whether they'd care or not only you would know.

Old 11-29-2023, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Your DIL said she prefers her sapphire ring. Why offer the family diamond to someone who doesn't seem to want it? I'd hold on to the diamond for one of your other sons. If/when any of them get engaged (who knows whether one or more ever will) their fiancés may choose a different ring as well. If it looks as if one of your sons is contemplating marriage, maybe that's the time to suggest the option. No one has a crystal ball about any of this OP. If you give the ring away now, you've left your other sons with nothing. Whether they'd care or not only you would know.

Thank you. Now that was valuable input. Appreciate it.

Old 11-29-2023, 02:13 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,015,863 times
Make the rings into a necklace or earrings. Wear and enjoy them. an engagement ring is very personal most brides want their own pick especially if the ring didn’t belong to their grandmother but an in law. A necklace or earrings has no such connection other than the diamonds were from a grandmother. There isn’t the pressure of having to wear it every day if it’s not something you love the look of.

Old 11-29-2023, 02:17 PM

2,032 posts, read 985,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenaS62 View Post
No clue how you got any of that out of my post but you may have some miss-placed sensitivities.

Have a good day.
I agree. It was presumptuous and way off base.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships