Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2024, 09:20 AM

445 posts, read 281,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by considerforamoment View Post
Why isn't anyone naming who they knew who went onto become famous? Wouldn't that be a major point of interest for such a thread?

I don't care if you knew someone who "went on to become really famous" if you don't note who it is.
Exactly! Without naming names, I think it's a silly topic also. It's the names that give the replies the "Cool!" factor. You know a MLB player? Ken Griffey Jr: cool. Backup bullpen catcher: not so cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2024, 09:37 AM

7,644 posts, read 4,591,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
On the "infamous" side, in one of my early jobs I had a co worker who went to same high school as Jeffrey Dahmer.
During a city audit many decades ago, I discovered off book bank accounts in the city's name.....that belonged to the mafia. City attorney is still in jail, albeit for other things now. Suck it FBI.

Old 03-07-2024, 10:49 AM

3,053 posts, read 2,028,840 times
During my career as a professional portrait photographer I met and photographed several people with their families that were well known. One of them was elected President of the United States many years after I photographed his family portrait.

Some people I photographed were not immediately recognizable as famous by me or my partner, we found out later who they were. All of them were pleasant to work for.

Old 03-07-2024, 11:36 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,910,099 times
Hmmm. I know I will leave out something. I must say, I do not think about this often at all and really had to dig in my brain.

I have a picture of my dad shaking President Johnson's hand at a DOD dinner. (Miss you dad).

When I worked for a firm located in WashDC, I was asked to go to dinner with a small group of people (probably to "even out the numbers"), one of the party turned out to be Bobby Baker (Johnson Advisor) and the other, Frank Purdue. This was 1980-ish. (I am still kind of creeped out - Bobby was involved in a huge scandal and was under Senate investigation and Frank, well google his pix)

A girl that graduated a few years ahead of me married Anson Williams, Potsie of Happy Days.

A childhood girlfriend married a very famous pop artist (wall art) after moving to the west coast.

My stepmother was good friends with Don Henley's mother (Don Henley was with the Eagles for the youngsters)

Old 03-07-2024, 11:52 AM

1,701 posts, read 781,468 times
Heck yeah! Slim Thug and Tre Tha Truth straight out of the North Side Houston, Texas.. Acres Homes, Inwood, Garden City area. Went to school with them.

I would be heart-attack shocked if anyone here is familiar with these artists, but here in Houston they are considered home town heroes. The north side being the greatest part of the greatest city in, by far, the GREATEST state in America.

Old 03-07-2024, 01:05 PM

5,331 posts, read 8,539,987 times
I just remembered another one. Around the corner in my childhood neighborhood lived a girl who eventually went on to win a medal in the Olympics for figure skating. We didn't know her or her family, but one day, years before the Olympics, we were driving past her house and I saw her walking to the mailbox in her figure skating costume. Of course this stood out to me as it wasn't Halloween or anything.

Old 03-07-2024, 04:06 PM

600 posts, read 2,090,814 times
A later-to-be famous rapper was my lab partner in high school

Old 03-07-2024, 06:00 PM

17,552 posts, read 13,334,227 times
Jerry Springer.

He was an attorney sharing a practice with a good friend before he went into being a local news anchor, then politics then his crazy TV show.

He was in town for something (I don't remember what) and I asked him how he could do such a ridiculous show? He said that it beats law and the money was much better

Old 03-07-2024, 06:59 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,154,866 times
Relax on the demands to know who the famous people are. Nobody owes anybody specific names. If you actually know someone famous, you know that it's considered bad form to broadcast on large internet forums that you know them. It feels icky, like trying to score popularity points on someone else's coattails. It's something you confide in private, maybe over a couple of drinks with another couple. There's a code.

Old 03-07-2024, 10:17 PM

8,055 posts, read 7,422,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post

Did you know someone before they became well-known or famous?
My ex-GF owns her own aerospace consulting firm in DC and can sometimes be seen on various news shows giving her opinion on outer space, satellites, etc. Not mega-famous but she does go on TV now and then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships