Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 10:48 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,209,538 times

Advertisements

How do you get along with your MIL? Does she like you or tolerate you? Hold nothing back!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2007, 02:12 PM

16,489 posts, read 24,495,163 times
hmmm...interesting question. I can only surmise whatn she thinks of me since I am not a mind reader. I think as long as my husband, her son, is happy then she is ok with me. We have had some run-ins in the past, one in particular where I refused to back down. Oh man, she was hot! I think she likes me as long as we see each other only once a year (the feeling is mutual), and as long as I don't buck up against her "authority". She is VERY stubborn and strong-willed, but guess what, so am I, so you can see there is potential there. I think the bottom line is we don't see each other more than once a year, sometimes not even that and talk a handful of times by phone, so it is ok at this time.

Old 08-26-2007, 02:51 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,209,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
hmmm...interesting question. I can only surmise whatn she thinks of me since I am not a mind reader. I think as long as my husband, her son, is happy then she is ok with me. We have had some run-ins in the past, one in particular where I refused to back down. Oh man, she was hot! I think she likes me as long as we see each other only once a year (the feeling is mutual), and as long as I don't buck up against her "authority". She is VERY stubborn and strong-willed, but guess what, so am I, so you can see there is potential there. I think the bottom line is we don't see each other more than once a year, sometimes not even that and talk a handful of times by phone, so it is ok at this time.
How did you get those images..love it! Before I started living with my husband's mother, I had an entirely different impression of her and this is after being married for 15 yrs. Now that we have been living in her/sister in laws home, I dislike her more and more everyday. She is so critical,never smiles except to the neighbors,never thanks us for helping her around the house without being asked...if we ask she says no, and if we don't she mutters to herself. We are forced to live here with her, my husband and son until we can afford to move to Ma. I think mother's of sons are much harder to deal with for the spouse than the other way around. What do you all think?

Old 08-26-2007, 04:27 PM

286 posts, read 1,587,903 times
I actually have a pretty good relationship with my MIL. She has always approved of me and been a supporter of us getting married. I don't have anything bad to report at all. I do know she was not a fan of my DH's previous finance... and that mostly revolved around the lack of morals she felt the ex had. The good points.. she doesn't meddle in our business, doesn't have unrealistic expectations, and is always kind and welcoming.

I do know... she does NOT approve of my SIL's boyfriend but tries to be as polite as she can. Behind the scenes, she is trying to get people to speak with my SIL about the future of her relationship (or desire for the lack of it...).

Old 09-08-2007, 03:54 AM

20,349 posts, read 19,950,972 times
I have a good relationship with my MIL. I've never sensed any interference, behind the scenes or otherwise.

My wife and my mother are very good friends. She talks to my mom more than I do. I'm not too sure if that's a good thing or not.

Old 09-08-2007, 11:33 AM

2,275 posts, read 6,311,544 times
I was apprehensive about my relationship with my MIL before we got married, because I'm not in her religion. Neither is my husband, but I was still nervous.

However, she's been nothing but kind to me since Day One, and we've been married almost six years now. My husband and I had a long distance relationship before we married, so I didn't get the chance to know her well until after I moved here two days after the wedding. A few days later she invited me to lunch with her husband and my sister-in-law, whom I had not yet met.

I was a bit nervous, especially since my husband wasn't there. I was so afraid i would say something wrong or make a mistake. However, it was my MIL who did so first - she called me by my husband's ex-wife's name. She was immediately apologetic, and I could tell she was mortified. To be honest, it didn't bother me at all. In fact, I was relieved that she made a mistake and not me.

After lunch, the two of us went shopping alone. We talked in the car, and I told her that all I wanted to do was make her son happy, and that I loved him very much. She took my hand in hers, and said, "We're going to do just fine."

And we have. She's always sweet and thoughtful, and loves to give little gifts for no reason. She periodically brings flowers, just to brighten my day. When she's introducing me to someone, she takes me by the hand and says, "I'd like you to meet my daughter."

I couldn't ask for a better MIL.

Old 09-08-2007, 11:50 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,362,435 times
The truth is I get along because I stay away, my MIL should be the poster child of what happens when you abuse perscription drugs, when I first met her she was okay, mostly just a loud, controlling type, as the years went by she wanted attention and used illnesses to get it, she has pretty much fried her brain and makes no sense when she opens her mouth, i get along due to respect for my wife.
My wife and her sisters feel the same way if not worst about her, I just tell them to listen but ignore what she say's and to treat her politely because someday she will be gone and they will regret being rude to her.
Pretty much the same way with the FIL.
It's a sad deal.

Old 09-08-2007, 11:59 AM

8,002 posts, read 18,613,581 times
I could go on and on about my MIL for hours. I love her so much!! I keep begging her to get out of the bad neighborhood she lives in and move in with us!! I can't imagine my life without her!! If my husband and I ever split - she would always be a part of my life

Old 09-08-2007, 03:42 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,383,529 times
My Mil was the beginning of the end of my marriage. She played a large role...not the only role.

Old 09-08-2007, 03:47 PM

109 posts, read 436,430 times
Default Hum..

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
How do you get along with your MIL? Does she like you or tolerate you? Hold nothing back!
I don't have a MIL... but I am one... LOL

I mind my own business...that's the secret. I am supportive.. give my opinion when 'asked' ... otherwise I keep my 'trap' shut.

I am extremely close to my daughter... she's knows she can count of me anytime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships