U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 12:51 PM

13,864 posts, read 24,661,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
How cute?
Imagine a smelly guy with a ton of body hair, missing teeth, bald, and a 50 inch waist.

Also imagine them being dirt poor.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 12:53 PM

42,835 posts, read 81,696,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Imagine a smelly guy with a ton of body hair, missing teeth, bald, and a 50 inch waist.

Also imagine them being dirt poor.
Shoot, you killed everything innocent in me!

Old 07-16-2008, 12:54 PM

13,864 posts, read 24,661,123 times
Quote:
I'm a mod, that's my job!

Old 07-16-2008, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoca View Post
i'm a mod, that's my job!
I know!

Old 07-16-2008, 01:16 PM

12,941 posts, read 19,995,754 times
Quote:
Good thing it was a solitary kill...

Old 07-16-2008, 01:20 PM

2,412 posts, read 4,680,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Model Looking Girl View Post
Most of my friends are telling me that they have noticed a huge change in the social climate in America during the last 5 years. Maybe it is linked to the post 9-11 mentality or the waves and waves of immigrants who are coming into our neighborhoods. Or maybe the effect of technology and computers.

I see less socializing on the job, less communication with the neighbors, less chatting in the grocery line, more glum looks at the post office, and silence at the hairdresser. It seems like people have lost their gift of gab and the ability to enjoy the company of stranger or coworkers. Things are more all business today.

Some people like to claim they are to busy, but I do not think this is it, instead I think it is a form of fear and a major change in our social culture in America. Anyone else agree?
I'm actually seeing the opposite. Maybe it's just you, screaming and ranting "stop talking to me, and calling me beautiful"

Old 07-16-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Good thing it was a solitary kill...
Stuff it!

Old 07-16-2008, 04:24 PM

8,519 posts, read 14,235,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlammons View Post
I think some of it has to do with where you are. It has been my experience that people seem to be less likely to speak to a stranger in a large city. People also appear to be more friendly and outgoing towards strangers in the south and in small towns.

I believe it has more to do with not having a sense of community than with fear. Or perhaps the two go hand in hand and if you don't have a sense of community then you are more fearful of strangers.

When I lived in a northern city, I did not feel a sense of community and I think I could have been robbed and beaten on the street and people around would not have blinked twice. I now live in a small Appalachian town where there is a great sense of community. If someone robbed my house my neighbors would probably take them down before they made it to the end of the street.
I agree with this and would add one other point. A lot of how friendly and sociable people depends on the state of mind they're in. Suppose you meet someone when they're coming home from work after sitting in the car for an hour? Suppose they're struggling financially, like so many of us are thanks to rising gas and food costs? Suppose the weather is just lousy and it's put you in a bad mood? These are things I've observed here up in the north. When you head south, people are friendlier and more likely to want to talk to you, because they're in a better mood.

Old 07-16-2008, 04:41 PM

1,416 posts, read 5,195,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
BTW, just for your information, the original poster is actually a guy...
Yes, I recognized Dingler aka good_type aka I forget how many other aliases he has gone under for the past 9 months or so that I've been reading this forum. He seems to have since developed a fondness for putting underscores in his usernames, so maybe this thread was one of his first. But as long as he keeps using that same writing style and asking the same kind of one-shot trolling questions over and over and over again in various CD forums, no one's apt to be fooled for long!

Last edited by totallyfrazzled; 07-16-2008 at 04:55 PM..

Old 07-17-2008, 10:35 AM

26,048 posts, read 23,831,121 times
Quote:
agree with this and would add one other point. A lot of how friendly and sociable people depends on the state of mind they're in. Suppose you meet someone when they're coming home from work after sitting in the car for an hour? Suppose they're struggling financially, like so many of us are thanks to rising gas and food costs? Suppose the weather is just lousy and it's put you in a bad mood? These are things I've observed here up in the north. When you head south, people are friendlier and more likely to want to talk to you, because they're in a better mood.
People in the south deal with those things too. Maybe we southerners are in a better mood because we are friendlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships