U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 10:39 AM

42,835 posts, read 81,658,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I agree with this and would add one other point. A lot of how friendly and sociable people depends on the state of mind they're in. Suppose you meet someone when they're coming home from work after sitting in the car for an hour? Suppose they're struggling financially, like so many of us are thanks to rising gas and food costs? Suppose the weather is just lousy and it's put you in a bad mood? These are things I've observed here up in the north. When you head south, people are friendlier and more likely to want to talk to you, because they're in a better mood.
All of the above is absolutely true! And my crystal ball says we'll get crankier and crankier...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 10:58 AM
miu

17,610 posts, read 36,297,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I agree with this and would add one other point. A lot of how friendly and sociable people depends on the state of mind they're in. Suppose you meet someone when they're coming home from work after sitting in the car for an hour? Suppose they're struggling financially, like so many of us are thanks to rising gas and food costs? Suppose the weather is just lousy and it's put you in a bad mood? These are things I've observed here up in the north. When you head south, people are friendlier and more likely to want to talk to you, because they're in a better mood.
Very true! I find that hostility is generated by stress due to overcrowded conditions like traffic and housing issues, plus competition to find a decent job. And none of that has to do with 9-11.

Well... last night as I was leaving work at 11pm, I was by the exit to the parking lot when I see a young woman flagging my car down. She didn't look like any of the girls that I work with but I slowed and then stopped. She was reaching for my passenger door handle so I leaned over and rolled down my window to talk to her. She was drunk and wanted directions to a restaurant that was probably only about 500 feet away but obscured by another building. I pulled over, parked and locked my car up, then approached her. I walked her over to her destination and explained that it was less trouble to walk her over than to drive her and have to make a u-turn. We chatted. It turns out she is new to my city and from LA (she doesn't miss LA). I got her to the restaurant quickly and she hugged me in thanks. I hugged back, told her to take care of herself and good luck in the city. I think that she was meeting some friends there. I must attract the needy!

Old 07-19-2008, 11:57 AM

15,503 posts, read 14,851,412 times
if this person Tall Model Looking Girl is a confirmed troll verified by the moderators, why are they still posting?

Old 07-19-2008, 01:21 PM
miu

17,610 posts, read 36,297,759 times
I think that some of us still found this an interesting topic to discuss. Unlike "her" threads about "her" being unhappy about being too beautiful, this one was more about the general state of our society. lol.

Old 07-19-2008, 01:26 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,379,358 times
I see most people as very friendly. A girlfriend and I went to Madison, IN about two weeks ago and spent the day in shops and walking around the wonderful historical homes. We commented several times how friendly the shop owners were. Not just "hi, hello" but we got into some great conversations. Then when we walked, people on their porches all said hello and several asked questions and we chatted. It was a great day

Old 07-19-2008, 11:35 PM

3,586 posts, read 8,382,464 times
I think people today are - in general - less friendly - less willing to chat while standing in line and more busy with yakking to their friends on the cell phone -

Old 07-20-2008, 12:13 AM

539 posts, read 1,686,982 times
Really? I always end up talking to people in lines, at the next table in a restaurant, at a bar... . I think it depends on whether someone looks approachable or not. Also many people are seem more suprised about other people having manners these days. I was always tought to open doors, give up one's seat, etc. . Women seemed shocked.

Old 07-20-2008, 12:27 AM

9,912 posts, read 12,847,981 times
I think the number of people you come across in a day who are more friendly or reserved or afraid of people around them goes up or down in direct correlation to how reserved, friendly or afraid you are yourself.

Old 07-20-2008, 12:29 AM

60,243 posts, read 78,671,399 times
not afraid of people, afraid of punishment for defending themselves. standing up to evil is punished and reprimanded. in fact involvement in any event is evidence that you handled it poorly and were ultimately at fault for the event ever occurring. read the CDF posts. conflict deescalation is the new 21st century cure all. of course then you get reinforced bad behavior don'tcha? every picture tells a story don't it.
(rod stewart)

Old 07-20-2008, 12:31 AM

539 posts, read 1,686,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
I think the number of people you come across in a day who are more friendly or reserved or afraid of people around them goes up or down in direct correlation to how reserved, friendly or afraid you are yourself.
Exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships