U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 01:54 AM

8,383 posts, read 11,675,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
That's right because everytime I see a black person they always seem to be cackling and not being able to Stop laughing!
That's not true.

I've noticed when a black person isn't smiling,they get the typical "angry black people" response.

Why must black people always have to smile to seem approachable?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2013, 03:08 AM

9,781 posts, read 17,542,378 times
Yeah I'd say it's more like the last 20 years there's been a decline in general openness/friendliness/sociability, but on the other hand people are probably a bit more tolerant.

Old 12-25-2013, 05:34 AM

7,493 posts, read 10,447,380 times
I can't speak for everyone else but I'm more that way than I probably would've been if I had grown up in another time.

Old 12-25-2013, 07:55 PM

8,012 posts, read 7,088,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
That's not true.

I've noticed when a black person isn't smiling,they get the typical "angry black people" response.

Why must black people always have to smile to seem approachable?
It seems you can't win with some people. When I learned this and stop trying so hard to please and prove myself to others is when I stopped being miserable.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:38 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,694,495 times
I honestly couldn't tell you. Is this not a case of reminiscing about the so-called better past once again rather than looking in the mirror and realizing it's you that's changed n time?

Old 12-27-2013, 09:14 AM

15,109 posts, read 8,204,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yeah I'd say it's more like the last 20 years there's been a decline in general openness/friendliness/sociability, but on the other hand people are probably a bit more tolerant.
I agree with this though a lot of the tolerance is based on social and political pressure. Maybe people are less open because they aren't sure how others will react, people are so easily offended. Lately when I have been friendly to strangers some will just give a strange look, like how dare I talk to them. So, it makes one a bit more cautious to be friendly if you might get such a negative response. I don't know why anyone would react so badly to someone saying hi or complementing them. It's a bit creepy to be honest.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:41 AM

21,729 posts, read 24,659,552 times
Due to texting, email and. Less and less race to face or verbal communication we are becoming less social. If I wanted to ask someone a question I used to have to call. Usually ended making small talk how is the family etc. Now? Not so much. The young guys at my work want to do everything in text. I call them and make them call me on the phone

Old 12-29-2013, 05:06 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,694,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Due to texting, email and. Less and less race to face or verbal communication we are becoming less social. If I wanted to ask someone a question I used to have to call. Usually ended making small talk how is the family etc. Now? Not so much. The young guys at my work want to do everything in text. I call them and make them call me on the phone
Why would you do that when surely it's easier just to reply to the text?

Old 12-31-2013, 01:08 PM

3,279 posts, read 7,053,223 times
Speaking for myself, I wouldn't say I am afraid of people, but I have definitely become more guarded and reserved over the years.

The older I get, the more I realize that most people really don't like each other. When you encounter rudeness, passive aggressive behavior, and mean-spirited gossip on almost a daily basis, it has an effect on you. One thing I see a lot of nowadays is two-faced behavior. You know, act friendly towards someone and then badmouth him as soon as he leaves the room. I don't have any respect for people who get off on putting down others, especially when they aren't around to defend themselves.

I have a couple of close friends and a couple of family members who I enjoy being around, who I know are genuinely good, decent human beings, and I focus my energy on socializing with them. The masses of shallow fakes can just go to hell.

Old 01-01-2014, 06:57 PM

27,654 posts, read 18,002,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Model Looking Girl View Post
Most of my friends are telling me that they have noticed a huge change in the social climate in America during the last 5 years. Maybe it is linked to the post 9-11 mentality or the waves and waves of immigrants who are coming into our neighborhoods. Or maybe the effect of technology and computers.

I see less socializing on the job, less communication with the neighbors, less chatting in the grocery line, more glum looks at the post office, and silence at the hairdresser. It seems like people have lost their gift of gab and the ability to enjoy the company of stranger or coworkers. Things are more all business today.

Some people like to claim they are to busy, but I do not think this is it, instead I think it is a form of fear and a major change in our social culture in America. Anyone else agree?
I am 67 years old. I have not noticed what you "see" in your life at all. I have never known my neighbors very well though, ever. In my experience people usually keep to themselves naturally. But friendships are maintained at the workplace. Young mothers who do not work do socialize a bit with neighbors and friends. But once they go back to work, a lot of that has to go by the wayside. The culprit is probably more about time than anything else.

But I haven't noticed a trend or anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships