U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 06:28 PM

105 posts, read 84,367 times

Advertisements

I agree with the OP. I remember how friendly and polite people used to be.

I grew up in the South, and it was pretty genteel.

Now it seems like people are much ruder, and even slightly sadistic about it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 12:24 PM

1,227 posts, read 619,956 times
I tend to agree with the OP, though it's not an apples to apples comparison for me. I grew up in a small town, but now live in a larger metro area in a different state.

I think there are a couple major drivers, as well as (or including) what has already been mentioned:

1. People are much more likely to turn a blind eye, ignore, keep to themselves, etc. because of potential fallout. Even if your intentions are good, the other person may not react well and there may be some liability or fallout, especially these days where so much is captured on video and posted to social media.

2. Technology, including smartphones, is allowing us to retreat and keep ourselves entertained while waiting in line, or at home, etc.

Personally, I despise small talk and I've never been inclined to strike up a conversation with random people in line that I don't know. Before smartphones became ubiquitous I carried a book everywhere, so the only thing that has changed for me is the format. Also, tbh, I've noticed that most of the people who initiate conversations with me in line at the store are not actually interested in a two-way conversation, they are just hungry for an audience to listen to them talk. Which makes me even more fond of my smartphone.

Having said that, I do occasionally compliment other people in a store if I think they have a really cute purse, shoes, etc. They usually just say "thank you" and we both move on.

Old 07-01-2016, 01:20 PM

3,279 posts, read 4,480,363 times
I've noticed some of this. I'm a hobbyist photographer, try being a guy by yourself going to the park to take photos of the park and the ducks etc, NOT trying to get any candids of women in their bathing suits at all, and watch how quickly people get nervous, especially if their children are around. Yet many of them pontificate about how "normal" it is to carry an open weapon in public and they jump down the throats of people who express concerns about open carry. Imagine--fearing a camera, but disrespecting the idea of how some people might be nervous of open-carry of GUNS. It's strange if you ask me.

Old 07-02-2016, 08:57 AM

5,185 posts, read 4,000,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Model Looking Girl View Post
Most of my friends are telling me that they have noticed a huge change in the social climate in America during the last 5 years. Maybe it is linked to the post 9-11 mentality or the waves and waves of immigrants who are coming into our neighborhoods.

Been around since the 1940s and have seen a lot. What I have to say to the OP essentially is .... AMEN!

America is a nation divided.

Old 07-02-2016, 05:12 PM

22,254 posts, read 25,491,604 times
Not in northern Europe - people here have always been reserved and talking to strangers is a scary event best avoided.

Old 07-04-2016, 11:29 AM

7,680 posts, read 6,060,254 times
"waves and waves of immigrants"???? Where in the heck do you live OP? Here in TN people are much more friendly than they were back in northern CA before I moved here. A lot depends on where you are in the country, and if it's a city or smaller town. I talk to strangers all the time. Strangers talk to me everywhere I go.

Old 07-04-2016, 09:19 PM

3,222 posts, read 1,639,305 times
Yep exactly, this guy puts a great comic spin on the subject....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Swzvm-gXHg

Old 07-04-2016, 09:26 PM

8,874 posts, read 14,444,803 times
Very odd that this post is revived every few years. The OP put up this topic in 2008 and hasn't been back to C-D under that name since that year.

Old 07-05-2016, 11:38 AM

324 posts, read 289,156 times
I think you'll generally find people are still pretty friendly and helpful in small towns in the south, particularly at or near the beach. BTW I'm originally from New England.

walessp

Old 07-05-2016, 12:08 PM

1,227 posts, read 619,956 times
I know I already responded once, but a couple more thoughts came to mind as I've been re-reading this thread.

Quote:
less communication with the neighbors
True. A couple things happening here for me personally: (1) I'm gone a lot with work and activities, so I don't spend nearly as much time at home as I did when I was growing up. (2) Conventional wisdom (esp for women) these days is don't open your door to strangers.... so yeah, if I don't know you, I'm not answering the door. Unfortunately, this means that the "why don't you go talk to them instead of calling the authorities" method doesn't work as well in practice as it does in theory. Also, the last few times I've knocked on someone's door in my neighborhood (for example, when there was a car parked in front of their house with the headlights on), there has been no answer.

Quote:
more glum looks at the post office
I attribute this to the slow and poor customer service that has become ever more prevalent at the post office, which is also chronically understaffed. I don't think I've ever stood in line for less than 15 minutes at the post offices in the county where I currently reside. Thankfully most of what I need to send can be done at the automated machines, preferably after hours when it's quieter. But even those aren't 100% reliable either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships