U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 06:51 AM

1,244 posts, read 667,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Not in northern Europe - people here have always been reserved and talking to strangers is a scary event best avoided.
It's not a scary event best avoided. It's just people can find better things to do with their time than wasting it on idle chit chat and snooping in other people's lives.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 04:40 PM

642 posts, read 831,612 times
I agree there has been some changes. I would say the modes we use for communication and entertainment contribute largely.

What certainly stands out to me is the changes in interaction between the genders. It is not improving. Fear, mistrust and vengeance is not unusual. With the divorce rate close to 50% and rising, what effect this will have on society in general is anyones guess. I doubt it will improve the quality of our society.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:50 PM

1,146 posts, read 1,429,712 times
I am willing to say this phenomenon the OP suggest would be decades in the making.
Most everything plays apart.... technology, culture, politically correct police, the massive influx of lawsuits, war, media, etc

We can't say much without offending someone!
Nice shirt.. uh oo, that's harassment.

Library Applicant can't read nor write..I don't believe he/ she is suitable...uh oo we can't say that- it's discrimination.

The least we converse or feel comfortable with each other, the easier to take advantage.

Old 07-08-2016, 01:19 AM

735 posts, read 796,408 times
I've been noticing the change growing here where I live, and I associate it to certain transplants who possibly come from places where people don't socialize with strangers, have a distrust or paranoia of strangers, and/or are cliquish.

The reason I associate the behavior to certain transplants is because most of the people in the city I live in are transplants from other states (mostly from the other coast/East coast states) yet most of the people I meet tend to be locals of this area (from nearby cities and places within this state).

I can often guess right who is from NYC because the transplants we get here from NYC tend to either not make eye contact or do look at strangers but make rude or wiseass remarks (for some reason they call it "sarcastic humor", but it's not appropriate behavior here except between good friends).

In the past, when we had fewer transplants relocating here, the transplants were eager to make new friends, to get to know their neighbors, to integrate into the local society. We also used to have neighborhood block parties for all neighbors to get to know each other. Many of the transplants these days ignore their neighbors or express hostility at neighbors (fight over parking spaces, complain about noise, gossip on Nextdoor.com, etc.).

There is also a lot of disrespect for this city these days. People litter the parks and beach areas. I believe the culprits are the nomadic kind of transplants who are only here temporarily for the jobs. I can't imagine a person who likes it here and plans to stay here trashing this city.

Old 07-08-2016, 06:56 PM

8,776 posts, read 10,357,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Model Looking Girl View Post
Most of my friends are telling me that they have noticed a huge change in the social climate in America during the last 5 years. Maybe it is linked to the post 9-11 mentality or the waves and waves of immigrants who are coming into our neighborhoods. Or maybe the effect of technology and computers.

I see less socializing on the job, less communication with the neighbors, less chatting in the grocery line, more glum looks at the post office, and silence at the hairdresser. It seems like people have lost their gift of gab and the ability to enjoy the company of stranger or coworkers. Things are more all business today.

Some people like to claim they are to busy, but I do not think this is it, instead I think it is a form of fear and a major change in our social culture in America. Anyone else agree?

Just now getting around to this thread but sounds interesting.

The ''social climate'' has been changing for much more than five years. For some reason people just feel more comfortable about saying what they want, doing what they want and not all of it is for the 'good'. Also I do believe a great deal of what America is like today has a LOT to do with 9-11. We had a distrust of others before that but afterwards?? It exploded. Now what we have is a nation of fearful and paranoid Americans. Not only about 'other people' but each other! I mean, we NEVER used to hear fears about government takeovers and that the world was going to go to hell ANY minute now so we better be READY! Well, we did have the Cold War and that was bad enough thinking we MIGHT get blown up by a BIG bomb. But we'd be "okay" because we'd be under something with our hands over our head. Sheesh. But nowadays don't we KNOW that something like that could happen, if not on that huge a scale. People with bombs everywhere and you don't know where they are or if they are near, etc.. And that leads to .....

Paranoia. People are downright scared of 'what could happen' these days. And the sad part is that some of them would be really really happy to see it happen if only so they could say "See? I TOLD you so!". We are paranoid because enough people out there don't respect human lives enough to stop the hell trying to kill everyone else! I even feel a tad of it myself at times simply because I work in a very big store as a cashier and, yes, I've thought of the "what ifs". We've had bomb scares there a couple of times. Kids pranks...but still. I suppose when you're afraid of things it will make you somewhat paranoid but I hate it. We have some really huge issues in this country and I don't see ANY of them being improved on. It's just all arguing and denying and making sure neither side 'wins'. Pathetic.

So here we sit, all fearful and paranoid and how are we going to change that??

And, speaking of being paranoid...just remembered something that happened at work the other day. A lady came through my register and at one point leaned over and whispered to me that she has seen "a woman wearing a hajib". I said, "So?" and she said ,"Well, doesn't that scare you??". No, why should it and told her that. Then she goes off on a rant...quietly!...about "those Muslims moving in and taking over EVERYTHING". Okay, if that's how you feel, fine. She thinks I'm crazy to not be shaking in my boots because that woman is probably a suicide bomber come to 'take me home'! Okay. We have a few men who regularly wear their guns in our store. I don't care but do wonder why, really? Are they paranoid?? Or do they do it just because they can? I don't care either way; just curious. OR are they thinking they might get to play 'hero' one day?

Also, maybe it's because I live in a small town but where I work the employees get along well and talk to one another and a lot even socialize off the job. Being a cashier I deal with people all day long and I can tell you that people DO talk coming through my register. To me and one another. People just talk in line everywhere here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships