Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 02:32 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,047,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanker View Post
How about just bunk buddies?
Don't know about this department. HR is on vacation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmustang View Post
Yes I have some of these people in my life also. Isn't it funny how they seem to always readily have advise available for someone else. I agree with something Dr. Phil said on one of his shows. He said sometimes you just have to let negative people go. Even if it hapens to be family and friends. Don't let them pull you down. Good luck!
You know, I'm not generally the most positive person in the world, but I certainly wouldn't stick my nose in other people's pain. For instance, to this day I don't know the entire story of her relationship her kid resulted from and I don't ask. I know chances are she wouldn't feel like talking about it. If somebody tells me something, fine; if they don't, fine again. And if I haven't explicitly asked for advice (which I never do), I don't want it! Now, if I constantly cry on somebody's shoulder and ask for help... OK, maybe they have the right to say something... but I don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Ah, yes frenemies...what would we do without them?

It's nice to know, that on those days when the sun is shining, the birds are singing and I'm having a good hair day....I can just reach out and call that "special someone" who will bring me crashing back down her level.
Very well said! Chances are it's not the strangers who will pi*ss you off and bring you down. The conversation with them has boundaries and it's light and bright.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2008, 02:47 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,299,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I hadn't sent almost any Christmas cards this year and got an e-mail from a friend back home (I actually met her while she was living here for a few years, but that's irrelevant), so I responded and against my better judgment decided to call.

I guess she either didn't remember I got divorced or perhaps heard about it while we were only separated, but in any event she was kinda surprised by the news. Sooo, what did I hear about it...?! While other women can't find men (perhaps she meant herself - she's never been married and has a child), others like me find them and then alienate them and get rid of them ...Hello... do you have ANY clue about how any of this developed?! Why can't people shut up and mind their own business? Do I give my opinion about the reasons she doesn't find any... NO! And it's not like I don't have an opinion... I stopped calling another one who loved giving unsolicited opinions and advices.

You know what? I'm a lot happier being a hermit! Do you guys have such lovely experiences with self-appointed shrinks?
People I call friends know me. They also know better than to give unsolicited advice. However there is one friend I have, have known her for 26 years and she knows all my dirty little secrets. She remembers things I don't remember....I'll take advice from her any day... or at lease I'll listen

Old 12-26-2008, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
People I call friends know me.
You're right. I used the term "friend" loosely.

Old 12-26-2008, 02:55 PM

13,584 posts, read 21,358,138 times
Quote:
You're right. I used the term "friend" loosely.
Sierra is my friendWha' up Sierra?Merry Christmas!!!!

Old 12-26-2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Sierra is my friendWha' up Sierra?Merry Christmas!!!!
Merry Christmas, LK! You seem to be too busy lately for your box of friends. I saw some mention of the new developments in your profile. Please, do tell!

Old 12-26-2008, 03:01 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,623,830 times
Sometimes other people like to...rain on your parade, so to say.
You sound like a pretty open minded person. I`m sure that you put her back in her place, right?

Old 12-26-2008, 03:04 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,517,749 times
Default Therein lies a key...

.....to being a great friend.

Quote:
....I certainly wouldn't stick my nose in other people's pain.....If somebody tells me something, fine; if they don't, fine again.
Steer clear. You don't need that kind of extra weight to carry around.

Old 12-26-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
I`m sure that you put her back in her place, right?
Well, if you put everybody in his place it doesn't leave too many to talk with, does it... I usually just drift away and the results of it are essentially the same... Good thing I don't mind my own company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Steer clear. You don't need that kind of extra weight to carry around.
I can be pretty good at beating myself down anyway and no, no extra help is needed really...

Old 12-26-2008, 03:40 PM

20,549 posts, read 30,335,054 times
Sorry about that Sierra. See what happens when you try to be nice.

Put her on your "do not call" list. If she calls you and she gives her wonderful advice again just politely say "bite me".

Old 12-26-2008, 03:45 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,095,578 times
Quote:
I can be pretty good at beating myself down anyway and no, no extra help is needed really...
Hey now...don't be your own worst frenemy!

Note:

Quote:
that "special someone" who will bring me crashing back down her level.

People who pull that cr@p obviously have their own issues. Try not to take it too seriously. Call/email a good friend and have a nice chuckle over the incident.

*is quoting myself like talking to myself???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships