U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 03:36 AM

8,690 posts, read 10,414,482 times

Advertisements

Ive several friendships that started as 'work friends' even though we no longer work together. One goes back 12 years so far; we only worked together for the first three. The key in these friendships us having common interests that have nothing to do with your work. That's the bond that helped these friendships outlast a job.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 06:29 AM

7,214 posts, read 8,368,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
This is not the case in most of the USA, you can be fired for whatever reason or no reason at all, as long as you cant prove its discriminatory in nature.
Yep, the wonder of the so-called "right to work" states.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:28 AM

35,319 posts, read 44,645,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spring greenery View Post
As I mentioned on another board I have just found this board because I have so much time on my hands due to having been fired from my last job. My boss said I was not a good fit even though I never received any warning and I had been at that employer for eight years.

Now all my old friends from my job no longer talk to me and when they see me in public they act all strange and cold. These were people who came to my home, had lunch with me a few days a week, and were in work related sports leagues.

Now that I am unemployed, they will not have anything to do with me. I thought we were friends.

I would enjoy hearing from others who have lost their jobs and their new relationship with their old workplace friends.
Exact same thing happened to me when after working in a factory for 32 years with 350 fellow employees many of whom i considered close friends, when i finally retired it was if a door had closed on any friends or social situations i thought might continue into retirement, it left me stunned as to the suddenness the people i'd shared much of my life with suddenly were strangers who now wanted nothing to do with me, after 6 months i gave up on trying as telephone calls and emails were just not being answered, very disappointing, i finally came to the realization that all these supposed friendships were nothing more than shallow Situational friendships and were only relevant while i was part of the work related environment.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:44 AM

35,319 posts, read 44,645,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Yep, the wonder of the so-called "right to work" states.
Right to work states are just states that have laws that prevent mandatory union membership at jobs, you may be confusing the term with
"Employment at Will" states.

Employment At Will: What Does It Mean? | Nolo.com

Old 06-04-2014, 09:31 AM

71 posts, read 69,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Second, it demonstrates professional myopia. Whenever I've known of somebody who has been let go, I have always made it a habit to call them or e-mail them. Aside from being the right thing to do, you never know where that person will wind up. One of my best clients is a guy whom I called after he lost his job. I met him for coffee, looked over his resume, offered helpful tips, and forwarded it on to some people on his behalf.

None of those leads panned out, but he never forgot that I gave a rip about his fate. A few months later, he was in a position of responsibility, called me up, and hired my firm.
This!

It is a big mistake for this people to shun someone as they never know in the future you might be the boss and come across their resume and you take a look and think yeah I remember susieq who shunned me or treated me rudely and then pitch their resume in the trash.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:12 AM

5,101 posts, read 8,351,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Ive several friendships that started as 'work friends' even though we no longer work together. One goes back 12 years so far; we only worked together for the first three. The key in these friendships us having common interests that have nothing to do with your work. That's the bond that helped these friendships outlast a job.
Exactly, some of my best friends are from work. I'm still friends with people from my first professional job, 33 years ago.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:09 AM

18,819 posts, read 19,750,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Even though this is an old thread, it can be a common problem. I know that when I retired I was very surprised how quickly my social calendar emptied to almost nothing. Some of the people I had known and worked with for 25 years, ate lunch with several times a week in addition to socializing with after work, and it was like they disappeared off the face of the earth. Yes, it was a big surprise to me.
I noticed that this old, old thread was renewed again so I thought that I would update my post from two years ago.

Two of my "close friends" I still see occasionally for coffee or talk to on the phone.

One woman who I thought was a lifelong dear friend has never been able to "find time in her schedule" to meet me for lunch or coffee once in the five years since I retired. I used to call her every few months but finally "got the hint" and now just send a Christmas card. She is the one that I ate lunch with several times a week for about ten years (we left the building to go to a nearby café), when were worked at the same school, and had been close friends for the fifteen years before that. I can't believe that I was so blind about our "friendship".

Old 06-05-2014, 11:50 AM

4,702 posts, read 3,173,939 times
I strongly suspect that there is a link between the firing and the fact the co-workers are distant. Perhaps, they had complained about her. For example, perhaps OP wasn't pulling her own weight at work or was frequently off "sick" and this made more work for others there.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:18 AM

42,661 posts, read 77,780,750 times
I always found, after I left a job, the people I kept in touch with were often those I least expected to remain acquaintances.

Old 10-21-2015, 02:05 PM

10 posts, read 7,273 times
Happens all the time unfortunately.i have a few people I worked with that I talk sparingly to but other than that most decide that beyond work talk there isn't much more reason to keep contact. I had an experience recently with somebody I knew from a church I no longer attend . At first she faded out after her attempts to get me to return failed,I'd figured she was a flakey type that likes having "work/church besties" but beyond that has little interest in you. Eventually I got over it and moved on. What do you know somehow we started talking again(after months of her obviously dodging my calls) and now we are able to talk about pretty much any topic beyond the elephant in the room lol. I was baffled but decided to let it go and start anew. I still don't know if I consider her a lifelong friend,jury still out on that, but it really depends on both parties more so one party,forcing contact somewhat which is a whole new can of worms
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or