Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 10:24 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times

Advertisements

I have never and will never be social outside of office hours with those I work with. It is not good business and can get downright stupid with office gossip. I would get it in writing why exactly you were not a good fit after so many years at the same position. Not being a good "fit" is pretty broad and with no reprimands (according to you) there has to be some reason you were fired outside of "not a good fit".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 12:07 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times
wow, who dug up this this thread? The OP is no longer a member and started this in 2008!

Old 07-23-2012, 10:26 AM

2,802 posts, read 3,189,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spring greenery View Post

Now that I am unemployed, they will not have anything to do with me. I thought we were friends.

I would enjoy hearing from others who have lost their jobs and their new relationship with their old workplace friends.
They weren't really your friends. They were probably hanging out with you to collect information to use against you later on.

Or it could have been something you did that pissed everybody off.

EDIT: crap, it's an old thread!

Old 07-24-2012, 09:24 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Even though this is an old thread, it can be a common problem. I know that when I retired I was very surprised how quickly my social calendar emptied to almost nothing. Some of the people I had known and worked with for 25 years, ate lunch with several times a week in addition to socializing with after work, and it was like they disappeared off the face of the earth. Yes, it was a big surprise to me.

Old 07-28-2012, 06:33 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spring greenery View Post
As I mentioned on another board I have just found this board because I have so much time on my hands due to having been fired from my last job. My boss said I was not a good fit even though I never received any warning and I had been at that employer for eight years.

Now all my old friends from my job no longer talk to me and when they see me in public they act all strange and cold. These were people who came to my home, had lunch with me a few days a week, and were in work related sports leagues.

Now that I am unemployed, they will not have anything to do with me. I thought we were friends.

I would enjoy hearing from others who have lost their jobs and their new relationship with their old workplace friends.
Yes. Work Friends is a huge oxymoron. No such thing.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:57 AM

6 posts, read 10,930 times
I have a term for this... I call it "situational friendship". I mostly associate it with work friends.

I've learned that the only way to know if they are true friendships is after that "situation" ends. I'm notorious for not maintaining friendships post-situation. So I'm an example not of the OP, but the other person. So, given that...

I absolutely can say it's not because the person who left wasn't worth it or that anything was faked (i.e., sucking up due to their role or anything -- historically I'm the person at work with far more influence in these past friendships). I just stop responding over time. It's like I only have so much bandwidth and I was also going thru a decade where I wasn't into it due to other stuff in my life going on -- a phase I was going through that did not discriminate. Just in the last several years I've re-started some of those very friendships since I was the one who faded out, and it's been awesome.

I believe these situational/work friendships serve a different need than non-work relationships and typically center on the one common bond: our jobs. Built-in common interest and we need friendships at work which help us bond, vent, whatever. When that situation ends, it's sometimes a natural thing for that relationship to fade as well. I don't expect all of my work friendships to develop into deeper life friendships, but it's nice when they end up that way. It's almost like an organism that's meant to develop into something greater, or it was simply meant to serve its original purpose.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:42 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,175,680 times
Quote:
I've never considered workplace friends to be my real friends. I would classify them more as just acquaintances or professional contacts, but not close friends. Once I am clocked out, I head home to my real social circle.
Totally agree. Work stays work. Coworkers are coworkers, not friends.

I have one person from work that I am in contact with, becuase we were sort of the oddballs, but she retired years ago and our contacts were more after she retired (notes, cards, dinner every so often). We didnt do this while we were working...well ok postcards....but not the dinners and such.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:59 AM

676 posts, read 1,261,525 times
An old thread, but re: the OP, sounds like there were some ugly politics going on there. The person or people who orchestrated your ouster are probably looking for the next target and the "friends" are probably afraid of being the next one.

In general, I have former co-workers among my close friends. But I don't truly consider any current co-workers to be my friends. We can be friendly, we can help each other and socialize. But if it comes to a choice between work and the friendship, most people are going to choose work. I've even experienced/seen a few use private information they've gained as friends against the person at work. As a result, I've learned to be very selective about what I share with work "friends". Once one of us has moved on, then we can have a true friendship. Up 'til then, it's a friendly acquaintance.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:27 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,199,083 times
They werent your "friends".

Same crap happened to me. People you used to talk to, no longer wanting anything to do with you after youre gone.

Best solution is to always keep work and work, and never consider the people there more than coworkers.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:31 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,199,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
Get a lawyer. This is illegal...at least where I live. The only sackable offence is not being able to do your job (short of doing something illegal yourself) and even then the employer is required to retrain and give warnings etc. The fact that you were there so long proves you can do your job. I'd lawyer up...this is horrific.

This is not the case in most of the USA, you can be fired for whatever reason or no reason at all, as long as you cant prove its discriminatory in nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships