Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 10:38 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,658,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
Why do you care? And unless the person is bragging about "How many facebook friends they have" (which I have never heard anyone do before), then what leads you to believe that they care?

Should people reject 200 friend requests because they are worried that they'll appear to have too many facebook friends?

Your perspective (and other peoples') about facebook seems very peculiar to me.

People use facebook to connect with friends. I do not feel that it is unhealthy for me to create a page with basic information for old friends and acquaintances to keep up with me, and vice-versa.

Whether a person has 10 friends or 500 friends is immaterial, and has more to do with the popularity of facebook among their social groups than it does with some percieved personality flaw.
You brought up another issue I have with Facebook, or rather its users, and that's how defensive they get. Why are people who love Facebook so sensitive to criticism? Personally, I don't care if you have 10 friends or 500. But why should you care if it bothers me? The fact that you had to respond at all speaks volumes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 11:24 AM

881 posts, read 2,256,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
1) How many friends do you have on Facebook?

2) How is it that some people have hundreds of friends on Facebook?

3) What do you do when someone irritates you and you no longer want them as a Facebook friend? How is this best handled?
1 - I think around 375?
2 - between going to two different HS, a large uni, being in a sorority, lots of traveling, large church group, my company is large so I add old coworkers (funny enough I have no current co workers), then just random places it adds up. I know all of them. But I guess I don't take the term "friend" literally. It's a networking site and I treat it that way. An old friend from HS is now a real estate agent and he's been helpful on helping sell my home. Another from my sorority is a physical therapist and I asked her a few questions for my younger cousin on how to go about doing that. Another friend I randomly met while traveling recently had major damage to her home and I was able to help her find a charity to provide her with some clothes.
I mean I guess I could just email but in someways FB makes things a little more managable.
3-just delete them? never really had any irriate me, you can block a lot of stuff.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:36 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,774,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
You brought up another issue I have with Facebook, or rather its users, and that's how defensive they get. Why are people who love Facebook so sensitive to criticism?
They probably appear this way to you because you characterize them in an insulting way.

Quote:
But why should you care if it bothers me?
Oh, I enjoy criticizing your irrational remarks.

Carry on.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:54 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,935,751 times
1 3 - my daughters
2. they are not very picky.
3. I walk down to their room and yell at them.

What is facebook for anyway? I only joined it to keep an eye on what my daughters are doing there and who is on their list of friends. I do not see the point of the whole thing.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:03 PM

81 posts, read 194,694 times
1- I am near 540 friends at the moment. Frequent activation and deactivation make it hard to know for sure.

2- I made most of them in college. I barely add anyone now. Its easy to accumulate friends in college. Hit up one party and the next morning 4 girls will add you as a friend.

3- I have removed friends before. I don't really care what people think about me online anyway. The profile is private so only friends can view.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:33 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,467,428 times
Is Facebook becoming a popularity contest?

Old 05-01-2009, 01:08 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,658,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Is Facebook becoming a popularity contest?
My point exactly. Same with Twitter. Just look at how Ashton Kutcher celebrated getting more followers than CNN. Typical Hollywood celeb who worries about how many think he's worth following.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:12 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,994,125 times
Most people find criticism to be destructive. A lot of times the criticizer also has flaws that need to be acknowledged and changed. People often do not have tact or empathy when they criticize others. They criticize as if they are on a pedestal looking down on your "failures".

There you go. Does that makes sense to you?

Quote:
You brought up another issue I have with Facebook, or rather its users, and that's how defensive they get. Why are people who love Facebook so sensitive to criticism? Personally, I don't care if you have 10 friends or 500. But why should you care if it bothers me? The fact that you had to respond at all speaks volumes.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:13 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,994,125 times
Facebook = NPD

Quote:
My point exactly. Same with Twitter. Just look at how Ashton Kutcher celebrated getting more followers than CNN. Typical Hollywood celeb who worries about how many think he's worth following.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:58 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,228,557 times
Quote:
Well that's a bit different isn't it. If I had a tv or radio show or something, I too would want as many 'friends' on it as possible, because that implies that my show is going to be successful. That makes perfect sense to me. I'm surprised that it doesn't to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships