Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 12:11 PM
pll pll started this thread

1,112 posts, read 2,487,453 times

Advertisements

As in the case of Candy and Tori Spelling, which should be the one to make peace when there is a break in the mother/daughter relationship? I think it should be the mom because she is older and wiser. Perhaps she should strive to be an example and a role model to her daughter. She could teach her daughter how forgiveness works. Any thoughts or experiences you would like to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 12:16 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,553,005 times
From what little I have seen, they should both be tarred and feathered. It's one thing for the tabloids to create their stories. But to willingly air out dirty laundry on TV; I'd be done. No comment.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:23 PM

I agree. What about for people in general, who aren't celebs.?

Old 06-11-2009, 12:34 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,545,969 times
I think it depends on what started the problem in the 1st place.

Both are adults. After a certain age....ie..the Spellings.....the mother leading the daughter thing is really moot.

If I caused a rift with my mother, it would be up to me to try to make it right. If she caused it...it would be up to her.

These are grown adults.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:42 PM

That's really a tough one. It's not that easy to say. Mom should be older and wiser but she may not be wiser, as these two you mentioned exhibit.

The one at fault should apologize, age, parent or child doesn't matter. And sometimes an apology will never be enough.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:46 PM

Do you feel that sometimes moms have a hard time appologizing to their daughters?

Old 06-11-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pll View Post
Do you feel that sometimes moms have a hard time appologizing to their daughters?
I'm sure it happens in all kinds of relationships, though I'd say those are some pretty challenging relationships if that is the case. I can't help but apologize to my son, or anyone, if I have done something to hurt them, even when I didn't mean it.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I'm sure it happens in all kinds of relationships, though I'd say those are some pretty challenging relationships if that is the case. I can't help but apologize to my son, or anyone, if I have done something to hurt them, even when I didn't mean it.
That's exactly my point. I think parents especially need to be the one to apologize first for hurting their children, even if they didn't intentionally mean too. It teaches their children humility and forgiveness. You're a good parent. I think some parents today teach their kids how to hold grudges more then how to forgive.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:34 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,054,980 times
Quote:

Yes. I can attest to this.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
That's exactly my point. I think parents especially need to be the one to apologize first for hurting their children, even if they didn't intentionally mean too. It teaches their children humility and forgiveness. You're a good parent. I think some parents today teach their kids how to hold grudges more then how to forgive.
Certainly. In that case it's not an issue of who apologizes first; but who should apologize, period.

If life were only that simple, eh? If only people could cut through all the pride and ego and do the right thing. But nah, that would be too easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships